• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Panthers Acquire Matthew Tkachuk from Flames for Jonathan Huberdeau, Mackenzie Weegar, Cole Schwindt, 1st Round Pick; Re-Sign to 8-Year/$76 Million Extension; $9.5m AAV

• RichieNextel305 changed the title to Panthers Acquire Matthew Tkachuk From Flames for Jonathan Huberdeau, Mackenzie Weegar, Cole Schwindt and 1st Round Pick; Tkachuk Signs 8-Year/$76 Million Contract; $9.5m AAV
  • RichieNextel305 changed the title to Panthers Acquire Matthew Tkachuk From Flames for Jonathan Huberdeau, Mackenzie Weegar, Cole Schwindt and 1st Round Pick; Tkachuk Signs 8-Year/$76 Million Contract ($9.5m AAV)

That's the biggest NHL trade in many years.  Wow.  The AVV is a bit less than I would have expected.  When you look at the package that it took to get him, the speculation about St. Louis or the Isles getting him looks almost foolish.  FLA is going to be a different team.  Whether that means better remains to be seen.

Great trade for Florida. Tkachuk is exactly what they needed.

I don't really understand it for Calgary. Bad attempt at trying to remain relevant. Huberdeau is 29 and a UFA next summer. Calgary's best path forward was to do at least a partial rebuild, and maybe even copy what the Rangers did, not double down on winning now.

This offseason has been amazing with free agents and these trades. 

Malkin re-signing in PIT is yawnworthy. Matthew fucking Tkachuk traded is some next level shit. 

Johnny Hockey out of CGY is wild. 

Where in the world is Nazem Kadri?

6 hours ago, rmc51 said:

Great trade for Florida. Tkachuk is exactly what they needed.

I don't really understand it for Calgary. Bad attempt at trying to remain relevant. Huberdeau is 29 and a UFA next summer. Calgary's best path forward was to do at least a partial rebuild, and maybe even copy what the Rangers did, not double down on winning now.

They're going to get a shitload for Hubs at the deadline. 2 part process. 

Gaudreau and Tkachuk leaving means they have what... Aho and Mangiapane? After moving Gio?

They're in a rebuild now. 

8 minutes ago, josh said:

I don’t think this is a great trade for Florida 

It’s a steep price, but I’d rather re-up Tkachuk than Huberdeau. He’s younger and a more complete player. Adding Weegar to the mix is obviously giving up a lot, but he too is UFA next year and would be tough to retain if he wants to test the market. 
At face value it looks like a wild overpay, but I don’t think it actually is.

1 hour ago, Gravesy said:

It’s a steep price, but I’d rather re-up Tkachuk than Huberdeau. He’s younger and a more complete player. Adding Weegar to the mix is obviously giving up a lot, but he too is UFA next year and would be tough to retain if he wants to test the market. 
At face value it looks like a wild overpay, but I don’t think it actually is.

Yea the more I look at this the better it looks. Also didn’t see that Tkachuk already re-signed till just now. 

Calgary is going to keep running into that  increasingly   nobody wants to play in Canada, unless it's the Habs or the Leafs. Makes the window really small. 

Still think it's a pretty good haul if the draft pick pans out and Hubs gets them more youngsters stuff at the deadline. They got nothing for Gadreau and that could not happen again. 

Edited by Bugg

Isn’t Florida currently over the cap?  They still are going to have to make a cap saving move.  

For Matthew Tkachuk, 20 games of Claude Giroux and Ben Chiarot, the Florida Panthers traded:

- Jonathan Huberdeau
- MacKenzie Weegar
- Former Top 10 pick (Owen Tippett)
- 1st round pick (23)
- 1st round pick (24)
- 1st round pick (25)
- 3rd round pick (24)
- 2 Prospects

30 minutes ago, Valriera said:

Holy shit. Is this the biggest blockbuster trade in the history of the league? Gretzky to LA maybe was bigger? Wow.

Nowhere near the biggest trade. 

This is on par with Hossa for Heatley. 

Let's be clear... Tkachuk is a 75 point player who happened to have a 100pt season this year. We'll see what happens. 

15 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

I might be the only one but I think Calgary wins this trade but it depends what Calgary gets when they trade Huberdeau and Weeger.  

Apparently they're not planning to do that right now.