• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Burning Question of the Offseason

What does "a GG guy" actually mean? A guy who has played for him before? A guy who plays a certain way? A guy who GG just happens to like for some unknown reason? Like AV with Tanner Glass?

Or is this just made up by fans who don't like a player or signing, don't think said player is good enough for the team, so they cope by using this "just a GG guy" terminology?

Discuss.

All of the above.

Every coach has their guys. Every fan base has some cross section of its fans who hate this, because they pessimistically believe that these players become coach's pets or, more specifically, get ice time based on having a positive relationship with the coach, rather than on merit.

• Bullseye 1

More broadly, it's hard to say it applies to specific players, because I would argue that both Reilly Smith and Ryan Reaves are both "GG guys" and couldn't have a more disparate skill set between them if they tried.

GG loves the low maintenance guys that do the little things - so he doesn’t have to coach it. Your typical hard working third liner (Hunt) and your big stay at home defenseman. Hustle but simple.

• Applause 1

4 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Is Trocheck a GG guy? Or is it just the lower level grunt workers?

Yes, probably. He specifically mentioned him as a factor in signing here. He also put up his best production in the NHL playing for him.

I don't think it's specific "levels" of players as much as it is "types," like Josh noted above. Low maintenance guys who do the stuff you would otherwise have to coach guys into doing.

4 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

He's been here a year.  Are we calling Kreider, Zib, Lindgren, Trouba, and Goodrow GG guys now?  Who gets the label and who doesn't?

If they left to follow him somewhere, yes, probably. For me, that's what having "your guys" means. They follow you to wherever you go. Like Fedotenko did for Tortorella, or Taylor Pyatt did for AV, etc.

The interesting question is who is *not* a GG guy at this point?

I'd put Kakko in that category because despite being a hard worker the production just isn't there and the pressure to give him minutes despite that fact is intense.

The healthy scratch in game 6 was almost mind-blowing.

GG seems to be a pretty hands off coach. So it seems like these are just guys who have played well for him in the past - rather than fitting into some very specific mold/style/philosophy.

Edited by Jdog99

Yes, Trocheck is a GG guy. So was Reaves. So is Carpenter.

Does it lead to issues? Well I'd say he overplayed Reaves to the point he couldn't even skate towards the end of the season. Which is bad for a guy who can't skate as it is.

Trochek is fine. Carpenter sucks. But he's league minimum so there's that.

1 hour ago, Br4d said:

The interesting question is who is *not* a GG guy at this point?

I'd put Kakko in that category because despite being a hard worker the production just isn't there and the pressure to give him minutes despite that fact is intense.

The healthy scratch in game 6 was almost mind-blowing.

Anyone he needs to coach. 

1 hour ago, rmc51 said:

So Gallant isn’t actually coaching the team, after he makes it to the ECF with them?

Bored Season 3 GIF by The Office

Of course he is. The way I understand what @josh is saying is there are guys who you can effectively trust to do what you want them to do who require no maintenance. You never need to address things with them, or whistle stoppages in practice, or anything, because they just get it. "His guys." Then there's others, who require those things, and need reminders.

• Like 1