• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Burning Question of the Offseason

4 minutes ago, Phil said:

Of course he is. The way I understand what @josh is saying is there are guys who you can effectively trust to do what you want them to do who require no maintenance. You never need to address things with them, or whistle stoppages in practice, or anything, because they just get it. "His guys." Then there's others, who require those things, and need reminders.

Oh, I get what he meant at first. But then it turned into shitting on GG as a guy who doesn’t coach, and Kakko got scratched because GG hasn’t and/or didn’t want to coach him. Anything to absolve an underperforming player of blame I guess.

• Like 1

Oh, yeah, I just ignored that stuff.

I think what Josh was saying is correct, and most coaches in the league probably feel the same way. There are just some guys who are supremely reliable, so it makes total sense that if you develop a great relationship with them, you'd want to continue coaching them even when you move on.

To me Gallant guys are like what were Keenan guys. Bigger players, or grittier players that sometimes aren't very talented,  but he wants to try to shake some production out of. 

He's definitely a coach who wants a bigger roster. He's given more leniency to guys like Hunt, Nemeth, Tinordi, Reaves, Rooney and to an extent Gauthier. Tries to find something in players that may not be there. 

We will see more of this with Carpenter this season,  but I can imagine the Rangers finding more large bodies to bring in for camp, to see on a PTO.