• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Sign Vincent Trocheck to 7-Year/$39.375m Deal; $5.625m AAV

Phil

The best part about this signing to me though is that it really could have been way way worse given the pickle we're in. Trochek at the end of the day is a very good player - it's not like we signed a scrub to this deal (see: patrik nemeth). So while I think it's too much money I think everyone can be excited that this is definitely a good solution to the 2c issue we're looking at. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Valriera said:

That is too much money for that term unfortunately...someone would have to explain why we couldn't retain strome or Copp on the same deal. Maybe they just really wanted Trochek? No idea. 

Because Trocheck is better than either of those two. 

• Like 1

I don't know what people really expect. It's the FA market. He'd likely command more AAV on shorter term. You give him the term to get the AAV down to fit it in the cap. I wish they could have shaved off more, but we're talking a small amount on the margins here. A few hundred thousand, tops. 

If you want him for 4 or 5 years, you gotta offer more and the Rangers can't do that. 

He's a top-6 center, he can play in all situations, he's good on faceoffs, he's a Gallant guy. There's not a ton to hate. Do I wish it was shorter? Yeah, but the cap will be up by the time this contract hits year 3 and they can deal with years 5, 6, or 7 when they get there. 

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 4

1 minute ago, Nashley Tisdale said:

I don't know what people really expect. It's the FA market. He'd likely command more AAV on shorter term. You give him the term to get the AAV down to fit it in the cap. I wish they could have shaved off more, but we're talking a small amount on the margins here. A few hundred thousand, tops. 

If you want him for 4 or 5 years, you gotta offer more and the Rangers can't do that. 

He's a top-6 center, he can play in all situations, he's good on faceoffs, he's a Gallant guy. There's not a ton to hate. Do I wish it was shorter? Yeah, but the cap will be up by the time this contract hits year 3 and they can deal with years 5, 6, or 7 when they get there. 

Bingo!!  I'm all in Morph!!! 

Same money as Copp although two more years.  Trocheck will be 36 at the end of that contract.  Copp, a year younger will finish his 5-year deal with Detroit at age 33. 

Really would have liked to see this deal at 5 years instead of 7.

Wow, that was fast. Drury clearly got his man. Trocheck doesn't seem like a complement to Bread in the same way that Strome was - more of the kind of north-south guy that Gallant wants. Don't know if that will fuel more Drury-hates-Panarin rumors or how it shakes out lineup-wise.

Edited by RodrigueGabriel

9 minutes ago, Nashley Tisdale said:

Pretty much this. We're simply not in the position to pay this guy something like $7+ million over 5 years without really disrupting this team's core. We should still be able to get 3-4 year solid years out of Trocheck before he starts to decline and then deal with that at the back end of the contract. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Karan said:

Pretty much this. We're simply not in the position to pay this guy something like $7+ million over 5 years without really disrupting this team's core. We should still be able to get 3-4 year solid years out of Trocheck before he starts to decline and then deal with that at the back end of the contract. 

The salary cap increasing over the next few years may just make this contract look like pure genius...especially after we win 2 cups in 7 years!  😉

• Believe 2

6 minutes ago, RodrigueGabriel said:

Wow, that was fast. Drury clearly got his man. Trocheck doesn't seem like a complement to Bread in the same way that Strome was - more of the kind of north-south guy that Gallant wants. Don't know if that will fuel more Drury-hates-Panarin rumors or how it shakes out lineup-wise.

Trocheck will do the dirty work while Panarin and Krav dangle around.

• Keeps it 100 1

12 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Copp was just interviewed on ESPN said that the Rangers really showed no interest in bringing him back.  

Makes little sense.  If they liked him enough to pay that dearly for him, and he played well, why wouldn't they want to bring him back?

Trocheck deal way rich on both term and amount.  Will be regretted.  It's one thing regretting a seven year deal for the last two years but another for the last four years.

Just now, Sod16 said:

Makes little sense.  If they liked him enough to pay that dearly for him, and he played well, why wouldn't they want to bring him back?

Trocheck deal way rich on both term and amount.  Will be regretted.  It's one thing regretting a seven year deal for the last two years but another for the last four years.

Copp is a marshmallow and a passenger. Trocheck is a punk and a pain to play against. The demographic of who Drury wants on his team makes sense. 

• Like 3
  • Keeps it 100 3

Like the player.

Really I do.

Hes an undeniable 2C. He checks the boxes. 

And I think he might fit amazingly well with Panarin and also potentially Kravtsov or Kakko.

Theres major elements there I could see meshing.

But beyond 6 seasons is too much for him.
AAV is slightly higher than I’d like as well.

We will see.

First 3-4 seasons are the key here.

Anything they get after that is a toss up. 

I don’t see him as $40 million player over the next 7 years though.

But I do think he is a $20 million player over the next 3-4 seasons.