• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Have Lots of Options for Igor Shesterkin's New Backup

Phil

1 hour ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I’m not looking to sign him for 8 years. For a year as a back up though? Sure. 

I also think that as opposed to some of the other guys who may get more than him, he’d be willing to sign for less for the opportunity to play for a Cup contender. And for a team that needs to count almost every penny spent, if we can get him for a few hundred thousand less than some of these other guys, I’d be for it.

I mean, I get it, he's your guy, but I doubt he can handle the work load they want. He's 37 and has seen his save percentage drop year-by-year the last four years straight. Wedgewood, by comparison, is 29, and played 34 games with a .912 last season.

Can Halak do it? Maybe, but someone like Wedgewood is much less risky a choice.

• Bullseye 2

7 minutes ago, Phil said:

I mean, I get it, he's your guy, but I doubt he can handle the work load they want. He's 37 and has seen his save percentage drop year-by-year the last four years straight. Wedgewood, by comparison, is 29, and played 34 games with a .912 last season.

Can Halak do it? Maybe, but someone like Wedgewood is much less risky a choice.

Wedgewood is a solid option I’d be ok with

I’m fine with either. But, and not for the sake of arguing, I don’t think someone with the experience of Halak would have much issue maintaining 25-30 games just because he’s 37. He didn’t do it last year because he played behind a good starter who maintained a heavy workload. It’s not as if he’s 42.

36 minutes ago, jsrangers said:

Good for him,  hopefully we can find a more vet guy. I don't think a guy who's played 8 meaningful NHL games in his career is the answer if we're looking to compete at a high level next season. 

I honestly don't care who the back up is.

I'd rather rotate a guy from Hartford up and down and let Allaire work on them. It's a waste of money. If Shesterkin gets hurt, season is over anyway.

Pretty much anyone can put up a below. 900 sv%. Why pay anyone over league minimum to do so? 

15 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I honestly don't care who the back up is.

I'd rather rotate a guy from Hartford up and down and let Allaire work on them. It's a waste of money. If Shesterkin gets hurt, season is over anyway.

Pretty much anyone can put up a below. 900 sv%. Why pay anyone over league minimum to do so? 

Shesterkin got hurt and the season wasn't over because Geo was in "I feel like stopping pucks" mode.

If .890 Geo showed up it might have been different. 

A capable backup for Igor is required because the one knock on his game is his health. 

• Bullseye 4

Georgiev isn’t a bad goalie when he sees a few starts in a row. When he gets in a rhythm, he isn’t terrible. But, that situation only unfolds when something catastrophic goes down (Shesterkin goes down). We need someone to come in who can handle the workload that will likely be required (25-30 starts) and can handle the potential workload incase an emergency happens. 

Georgiev, when he does play only once every 2 weeks or so, is mostly terrible. And at his QO, he is an easy walk away for me.

• Bullseye 1
  • Applause 1

Agreed, I don't think anybody is going to bat for not walking away from Geo at his price tag. I'm sure he wants out of here just as badly, seeking a better opportunity (at least in his mind). I don't think rotating minor league goalies through 25-30 starts is the answer, and that's potentially a disaster should Igor go down.

Edited by jsrangers
  • Keeps it 100 1

I’m thinking Halak is looking for the best opportunity to win at this point in his career. That’s why he’s been the guy I’ve had in my head as the right guy. I think he can come in, start 25 or so games, perform well and not “break the bank” in terms of a backup. I still expect him (or someone along those lines) to be the guy they look to.