• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Have Lots of Options for Igor Shesterkin's New Backup

Phil

17 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I'm kinda feeling the whole Greiss experience right now.....is Halak still available?  I haven't been following him much of late.

Yes.

Halak is the one I’ve had pegged for us for awhile now. But really, I’d be fine with him, Holtby or Greiss.

Like others have said, Jones kind of sucks. But I wonder if Allaire can fix that.

• Thanks 1
  • Bullseye 1

Cool!  Thanks Richie!  Yeah man, I think we need a pretty capable backup, especially with the defensive core that's still pretty young, for the most part.  If we start bleeding scoring chances again this season, we're going to need a guy who is fairly capable to hold the fort.

I'd be fine with those 3 as well.  It's probably just going to come down to cost and cap space, I would think.

Georgiev went 58-48-11 during his Rangers tenure with a .908 save percentage and 2.94 goals-against average. The Blueshirts will be seeking a backup out of a free-agent pool that will include Martin Jones, in whom they had serious interest before he signed with the Flyers last year; Thomas Greiss; Jaro Halak; Braden Holtby; and Charlie Lindgren. The Rangers ideally would like to spend in the $1.25 million-$1.5 million range on the position. That could be challenging.

https://nypost.com/2022/07/07/rangers-alexandar-georgiev-trade-works-for-both-sides/

--

In other words, they're signing Jones.

4 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Jones is easily my least favorite option. That being said, I do trust Benny.

I easily take any of Halak/Holtby/Greiss over Jones personally.

I mean, I do, too, but he couldn't fix Pavelec, either.

I'd rather go for upside (Comrie, Lindgren) or competence (Holtby, Halak). Jones is neither. He just exists. He's basically Georgiev again. Shutout or five against every night.

• Keeps it 100 2

On 7/8/2022 at 1:31 PM, Phil said:

I mean, I do, too, but he couldn't fix Pavelec, either.

I'd rather go for upside (Comrie, Lindgren) or competence (Holtby, Halak). Jones is neither. He just exists. He's basically Georgiev again. Shutout or five against every night.

Pavelec is the one guy we’ve had here in the last 15+ years since Allaire took over that he couldn’t get good play out of. 

1 hour ago, RangersIn7 said:

Pavelec is the one guy we’ve had here in the last 15+ years since Allaire took over that he couldn’t get good play out of. 

Correct. Jones reminds me a lot of Pavelec. I could be wrong, but he feels like the wrong target when more reliable options still exist (Halak).