• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

David Quinn a Favorite for B̶r̶u̶i̶n̶s̶ Sharks Head Coaching Gig?

Phil

Quinn's record on developing young players was a mixed bag, as has been discussed endlessly.  To the extent that his hiring would signal an understanding that they are done contending with their core, it would probably be a good idea.  That said, I'm not a big fan of the tear it down and start from scratch approach.

Suspect they explored Trotz, but that's clearly not happening. 

Would like to think like any coach Quinn learned some things here. Based on his body of work here , even with having been at BU forever(which should have given him some idea what the Bruins are about)not clear he would be a good fit with a veteran team.  

Once they got rid of Cassidy, this was going to be a step down unless they got Trotz.  Once Bergeron retires (and with Marchand aging) this could quickly turn into a rebuilding effort.  I don't know if Pastrnak and McAvoy are enough to reload, or if this turns into a full-fledged rebuilding effort.

28 minutes ago, fletch said:

Once they got rid of Cassidy, this was going to be a step down unless they got Trotz.  Once Bergeron retires (and with Marchand aging) this could quickly turn into a rebuilding effort.  I don't know if Pastrnak and McAvoy are enough to reload, or if this turns into a full-fledged rebuilding effort.

Problem is that they have among the worst prospect pools right now too. Gonna be a long haul for bruins fans. 

• Like 1

They’re kind of stuck in the in-between. When healthy, they’re good but not good enough IMO. I don’t see them beating teams like Tampa, Carolina, the Rangers, etc. come playoff time. But, they’re also not bad enough to miss the playoffs or even fall off a cliff. That being said, they’re wildly not healthy at the moment and won’t be to start the season. 

Like others have said, their prospect pool is not anything to really speak of.

I think their window closed; they remind me of what we were following the East Final loss to Tampa in 2015; a good team that will compete, can make the playoffs, maybe even win a round. But ultimately, not good enough to win anything substantial.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

They’re kind of stuck in the in-between. When healthy, they’re good but not good enough IMO. I don’t see them beating teams like Tampa, Carolina, the Rangers, etc. come playoff time. But, they’re also not bad enough to miss the playoffs or even fall off a cliff. That being said, they’re wildly not healthy at the moment and won’t be to start the season. 

Like others have said, their prospect pool is not anything to really speak of.

I think their window closed; they remind me of what we were following the East Final loss to Tampa in 2015; a good team that will compete, can make the playoffs, maybe even win a round. But ultimately, not good enough to win anything substantial.

Kind of where the rangers were when they initiated the rebuild imo. I still think it was the right thing to do. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Phil changed the title to David Quinn a Favorite for B̶r̶u̶i̶n̶s̶ Sharks Head Coaching Gig?