• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Is Vasilevskiy Susceptible to High Blocker Side?

Seems like we did some homework on him.  pretty much all goals yesterday were high blocker or to a lesser degree high glove.  

for as big and fast he is last nite he seemed like he couldn't raise his arms.

would love to see vally do some study on this.  (after we win of course)

today andre started practice at 1:15 before the 2 practice by the team

he was working on lateral movement, pucks not going through him and disciplined movement.  

this was taken from Jaffe's report on nhl network.

P.S.  Jackie Redmond is hot.

Edited by Slobberknocker
  • Applause 1

• Phil changed the title to Is Vasilevskiy Susceptible to High Blocker Side?

He brings his hands down when he moves latterly, opening more space.

i was thinking it might be a lower body injury, because he didn’t have the same movement last night. And rangers were making him move, like they knew it. They love to make those injured goalies moving back and forth. 

1 hour ago, Slobberknocker said:

Seems like we did some homework on him.  pretty much all goals yesterday were high blocker or to a lesser degree high glove.  

for as big and fast he is last nite he seemed like he couldn't raise his arms.

would love to see vally do some study on this.  (after we win of course)

today andre started practice at 1:15 before the 2 practice by the team

he was working on lateral movement, pucks not going through him and disciplined movement.  

this was taken from Jaffe's report on nhl network.

P.S.  Jackie Redmond is hot.

Vally already mentioned this exact point in his series preview earlier in the week man lol That's why in last night's post-game show Biron joked that the Rangers clearly watched Vally's scouting report and followed it to a tee. 🤣

34 minutes ago, Karan said:

Vally already mentioned this exact point in his series preview earlier in the week man lol That's why in last night's post-game show Biron joked that the Rangers clearly watched Vally's scouting report and followed it to a tee. 🤣

Maybe send a link that has pre/post game next time! 

25 minutes ago, josh said:

Maybe send a link that has pre/post game next time! 

Just PM me if there's anything else you'd like me to Google for you today Josh! 🤣

Edited by Karan
  • Like 1
  • LMFAO 1

1 minute ago, Blue Heaven said:

Seemed like to me that on Miller’s goal that Vasi was kind of cheating for the high blocker side shot and Miller went high glove side. 

100% on him. Gotta make that save

Hank mentioned it, but there's a strange movement in goaltending coaching that wants goalies to hold their glove like a catcher in baseball - palm facing forward, webbing vertical. This is fine for baseball when the object you're catching is being thrown from 60ft away but on defections and low shots, this creates a slow glove. This is exactly where Miller beat him last night. 

So while Vas has been susceptible high blocker (which I think all goalies are in some capacity) his real weakness is low glove, just over the pad. 

• VINNY! 1

On 6/4/2022 at 8:24 AM, ThirtyONE said:

Hank mentioned it, but there's a strange movement in goaltending coaching that wants goalies to hold their glove like a catcher in baseball - palm facing forward, webbing vertical. This is fine for baseball when the object you're catching is being thrown from 60ft away but on defections and low shots, this creates a slow glove. This is exactly where Miller beat him last night. 

So while Vas has been susceptible high blocker (which I think all goalies are in some capacity) his real weakness is low glove, just over the pad. 

You know who I first noticed held his glove this way? Varlamov. I remember going to a game against Colorado a few years ago and sitting behind the net and thinking why he was holding his glove so weird.

Edited by RichieNextel305

On 6/4/2022 at 8:24 AM, ThirtyONE said:

It's not really a strange movement at all and it's perfectly logical to hold the glove fingers up with the T of the glove point upward in the majority of situations. 

The puck is almost always coming from the ice upward to the glove and it's more natural to catch from that position compared to the older style goalies who had their gloves more down and to the side because you'd have to windmill your arm to catch the puck which would more often than not allow the puck to go past you when you were moving.

When you have to be in perfect position and play the percentages, it's better to have your hands up like most goalies do now since you're in a better middle position.