• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Barry Trotz Out as Islanders Coach

Surprised they let him go honestly. 

Cant say that im disappointed though- hes a good coach so losing him only helps. With that said watching the isles (usually play the rangers) was painfully boring so maybe with a different coach their style changes.

File this under “stunning shocker” please.

Wow. All I can say is that. Wow.

FWIW, Brooks tweeted that he had heard chatter over the last week that Trotz might not want to return. If that’s the case and it was a mutual parting, fine. But everything I’m reading is that Lou fired him. If so, I can have to say it: wow.

19 minutes ago, Flynn said:

Wow. That’s an overreaction. 

between the killer opening road trip, injuries and an old roster (Thanks Lou) it seems this is a scapegoat firing to me. 

It’s insane. Trotz had that roster way overachieving for the first two seasons he was there. That team turned it around pretty good this year after a horrid start, but the East was just too strong to catch up.

Islanders just got worse, so it’s a good day in my book.

• Like 1
  • TroCheckmark 1

I hate the Isles as much as I can hate anything in this world, but I've always liked Trotz, he's a good hockey guy and from all reports just an all around good guy.  I think he did a great job with that team and it's odd that after one poor season following two remarkable ones, they felt the need to cut him loose.  There's more to the story I'm sure.  Either way, he'll end up on his feet somewhere, he's too good to not be coaching.....

• Like 1

Tough for Trotz. They started the season with 13 straight road games. Came home 5-6-2. Lost their first 5 games at home. Really put them in a hole, and almost impossible to dig out of it with how good the rest of the East is. 

I'm glad because I think it's a bad move for the Isles. 

Just now, Cash or Czech said:

Tough for Trotz. They started the season with 13 straight road games. Came home 5-6-2. Lost their first 5 games at home. Really put them in a hole, and almost impossible to dig out of it with how good the rest of the East is. 

I'm glad because I think it's a bad move for the Isles. 

And they lost a bunch of those first 5 games because the NHL was adamant they had to play even though they were basically icing the Bridgeport Sound Tigers because their whole NHL roster was out due to COVID. 

This is such an insane decision that it defies logic. Two conference final losses to the eventual champs, a Jack Adams award, and then this season. Trotz's four years with the Islanders have been smashing successes. This season was a comedy of errors - a massive road trip to start the season, the series of games the NHL made the Sound Tigers play when half the Islanders had COVID, the wildly condensed schedule to end the season. And with THAT roster? This isn't a good team. They have big money tied in mid-range players everywhere and little wiggle room.

What more do you want from a coach? 

Happy, because the Isles get markedly worse today.

• Bullseye 3
  • Keeps it 100 1

I don't buy the excuses for this year.  Yes they started off with 13 on the road, but it's a zero sum game and that gave them a heavy home schedule thereafter.  The league made that span as easy as possible.  They played fewer games than most and did not have long road trips.  They played one off games on the road and came home.  During the same period the Rangers played 11 on the road and 6 at home, with long trips, which was tougher.

As for Covid, you can't compare their experience to a baseline of no Covid losses.  Many teams lost many players, including many at once.  Perhaps the Islanders experience was worse than most, but only incrementally.  Heck, I remember the Islanders at full strength getting an easy win over a Bruins team with most of its guns sidelined with Covid.  

The key was the period when they were back to full strength but only fell deeper and were thus out of it by the time they played well.

All that said, Trotz was the best thing they had going, and as an inveterate Islander hater, I'm thrilled that he's gone.  Let them try playing an up tempo game with their current roster or even a somewhat modified one.  They will do poorly.  This probably presages Lou making more dumb impulsive personnel moves.  Great!  Can't wait to visit Islanders' board to see melt down.

1 hour ago, phillyb said:

Some other coach is gonna lose his otherwise stable job because of this. 

Winnipeg Jets don't have a permanent head coach. Trotz will not be out of a job for very long...