• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Cu = Au (Copper Is Gold)

Keirik

11 minutes ago, Pete said:

You realize Strome had a career high shooting percentage while not playing with Panarin right?

I can't believe we still have all these false narratives around a guy who's obviously in a leader in the locker room and produces.

I’d rather not try to turn this into an anti Strome thread but we do have to admit a few short comings of him. He leads all forwards on this team in penalties and his career ppg shot up from around .5 points per game to .8 once bread got here. I know that Ryan had an impressive stretch and stepped up when Panarin was on his hiatus but the larger body of work still says there is a big connection . There is also the faceoff area where he is subpar in. 

It’s going to be very curious what they do in the summer. 

7 minutes ago, 4EverRangerFrank said:

I hate these conversations. (LOL) Just when it seems to be coming together and the likeable pieces fit, it’s time to shop and trade again. #roulettewheelcap

They won't be traded. They'll just leave in free agency and the team will back fill with cheaper options — either ELC or ELC equivalent (Othmann, Cuylle, Kravtsov, Trivigno) or free agents.

3 minutes ago, Keirik said:

I’d rather not try to turn this into an anti Strome thread but we do have to admit a few short comings of him. He leads all forwards on this team in penalties and his career ppg shot up from around .5 points per game to .8 once bread got here. I know that Ryan had an impressive stretch and stepped up when Panarin was on his hiatus but the larger body of work still says there is a big connection . There is also the faceoff area where he is subpar in. 

If Strome had no holes (holes that Copp shares, I'd say...Gallant already doesn't seem impressed with him at C), he's be an $8M player.

Panarin has also set career highs playing with Strome.

Edited by Pete

8 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Even if you do ascribe his rise to Panarin, who cares? The whole point in keeping him is because he's productive with Panarin, who isn't going anywhere anytime soon. I've said for months and months, the goal should be to align any Strome extension with the rest of Panarin's contract. Ride the wave.

But I'll say this much: if Strome shrinks in the playoffs (given his stature/style) and Copp excels (given his), I could buy the argument that it's worth keeping the "less productive" option of the two. Regular season points are valuable, but post season performance trumps all.

• Like 3

Just now, Pete said:

If Strome had no holes (holes that Copp shares, I'd say...Gallant already doesn't seem impressed with him at C), he's be an $8M player.

Yeah of course. He’d be Mika lite then basically and then the discussion is moot because we couldn’t afford him lol

Just now, Phil said:

Even if you do ascribe his rise to Panarin, that shouldn't matter. The whole point in keeping him is because he's productive with Panarin, who isn't going anywhere anytime soon. I've said for months and months, the goal should be to align any Strome extension with the rest of Panarin's contract. Ride the wave.

There’s a ton of truth to that. I think the balance though when riding this wave is to make sure they both are at the crest at the same time. It appears they are but we can’t just overpay when Ryan needs this symmetry.

im just hoping the conversation goes along the lines of him understanding that he can be a 5.5m .8ppg game here, or a 6.5m .5ppg somewhere else. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

You know, the Strome hate in Rangers land has gotten out of control. I’m seeing it almost everywhere and I think he’s been easily playing his best hockey as a Ranger the last 2 months. I’m finding myself having to morph into defending him because of it. He has seriously picked up his goal scoring and looks like a dude with a chip on his shoulder right now (as he should have one). He had 9 goals in his first 45 games. 11 goals in the 25 since (5 in last 8). Credit to Stromer. He’s taking shots he should be taking, and looking at that snipe last night he should be doing it even more often. If he does, he is capable of 25-30 goal seasons.

All that said, the price still needs to be reasonable or he’s out. Around 5.5 per should probably be the max and you gotta figure Drury know that.

• VINNY! 1

57 minutes ago, Pete said:

You realize Strome had a career high shooting percentage while not playing with Panarin right?

I can't believe we still have all these false narratives around a guy who's obviously in a leader in the locker room and 

Edited by Chuck_IV
Dbl post

40 minutes ago, Pete said:

I can't believe we still have all these false narratives around a guy who's obviously in a leader in the locker room and produces.

Not a false narrative in the least. Copp is better on face offs, solid D and as we are seeing, meshes with Panarin just fine(he’s only been here less than a month too). Look at his stats from just the time here(8/10/+14) to see how well he is fitting in.

24 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

You know, the Strome hate in Rangers land has gotten out of control. I’m seeing it almost everywhere and I think he’s been easily playing his best hockey as a Ranger the last 2 months. I’m finding myself having to morph into defending him because of it. He has seriously picked up his goal scoring and looks like a dude with a chip on his shoulder right now (as he should have one). He had 9 goals in his first 45 games. 11 goals in the 25 since (5 in last 8). Credit to Stromer. He’s taking shots he should be taking, and looking at that snipe last night he should be doing it even more often. If he does, he is capable of 25-30 goal seasons.

All that said, the price still needs to be reasonable or he’s out. Around 5.5 per should probably be the max and you gotta figure Drury know that.

I sure hope you don’t mean me. He’s been great here. He’s not without flaw of course though but overall he is one of our better acquisitions in recent years. 

27 minutes ago, Chuck_IV said:

Not a false narrative in the least. Copp is better on face offs, solid D and as we are seeing, meshes with Panarin just fine(he’s only been here less than a month too). Look at his stats from just the time here(8/10/+14) to see how well he is fitting in.

Same thing can be said of Strome with a larger body of work.

Copp is 49% on FO as a Ranger, as opposed to 54% as a Jet. Like I said, it's a team stat and the Rangers aren't good at it.

46 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

@Phil we need a Stromer boner reaction emoji. I think I know where we can get one.

Edited by Pete
  • JIMMY! 2

1 hour ago, rmc51 said:

Counter argument: Drury wants to keep Strome, and Copp gives a backup option should Strome not be flexible on price. It puts pressure on Strome to bring his ask down if he really wants to stay here.

Counter-counter argument - Drury brought in the single best fit for our lineup he humanly could have to help us win and there's no 4D chess ulterior motive to making a smart trade.

• Cheers 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

24 minutes ago, Keirik said:

I sure hope you don’t mean me. He’s been great here. He’s not without flaw of course though but overall he is one of our better acquisitions in recent years. 

No. Sorry. Not directed at anyone particular. Just hijacked this space because it’s gonna happen with Copp vs Strome talk, but I also don’t think he’s getting fair or proper recognition across the Rangers-sphere right now. Social media, other boards I skim, etc. In fact, I have to laugh because the other day I read shit like “of course that loser Strome gets the empty net goal and pads his stats” (no sarcasm) from the Jets game. The same game he also had a sick deflection which was the GWG in a tight game.

6 minutes ago, G1000 said:

Counter-counter argument - Drury brought in the single best fit for our lineup he humanly could have to help us win and there's no 4D chess ulterior motive to making a smart trade.

Counter-counter-counter argument: 🍆

No seriously I know. Just offering up a realistic alternative that we don’t know the motive for sure. I still think Drury finds the way to keep both if we go far in the playoffs. I really do. I don’t think he’s tied at all to Kakko or Chytil after this season.

8 minutes ago, G1000 said:

cc: @rmc51

Counter-counter-counter argument, Copp was brought in to be 3C and lengthen the lineup and then injuries happened and GG threw Copp at 2RW and the magic happened

2 hours ago, Keirik said:

He leads all forwards on this team in penalties

I've never seen someone get so little out of the penalties he takes.  None of them stop a scoring chance or even cause any problems for the opposition.  He just waves his stick around.  It doesn't intimidate anyone.  It just puts him in the box.  Never a roughing, elbowing, cross checking, or even holding penalty.  Hooking, slashing; hooking, slashing.  And so on.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chuck_IV said:

I think that shows how much better the Strome/Panarin combo could have been had they had an actual talented winger on the right side.

I was never big on Fast, and think people greatly exaggerated his skill level offensively. So, I won't accept his name being brought up as a counter to what I'm saying. Playing mostly with Blackwell and Hunt (Kakko never got going), the duo was held back quite a bit. 

Copp has stepped in and the 3 of them are clicking at a great pace. It woken both Strome and Panarin up. It's some next level shit now. 

If Copp can't be brought back, the Rangers need to fill that gap with a guy guy that can contribute.  Not just be there for the ride. 

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1