• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Cu = Au (Copper Is Gold)

Keirik

I think we are getting to the point where the ball has to get rolling on a way to figure out how we retain this guy this offseason and Strome to keep the depth and chemistry going. 
15 games, 8G 10A for 18 points. 2 GWG, 1 shortie, 1 pp point. 

Plays all situations. Really is looking more and more like he should be the keeper of all the deadline guys. 

• Like 1
  • VINNY! 1

I just don't see how they can afford it, even if they dump Nemeth and Geo. To keep Copp (and Strome), you're probably talking about also losing Kakko, too (for futures) and using that money towards this, and I'm still not sure you're there yet.

2 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Unless Strome takes an incredible discount, all 3 of Nemeth, Kakko, and Chytil need to be replaced with ELC contracts.

Well, you assume Kakko doesn’t get a large raise. Replacing a Nemeth isn’t a huge deal. You either offer Braun a one year 1m deal or somewhere around what the Isles pay Greene or you look to Jones since a Schneider now has more experience and is trusted.

Chytil can go. Geo is gone. I hate to say it, but the guy that needs to go to make it work a bit easier really is Reaves. That’s another 1.75m cap savings right there. 

1 minute ago, Keirik said:

Well, you assume Kakko doesn’t get a large raise. Replacing a Nemeth isn’t a huge deal. You either offer Braun a one year 1m deal or somewhere around what the Isles pay Greene or you look to Jones since a Schneider now has more experience and is trusted.

Chytil can go. Geo is gone. I hate to say it, but the guy that needs to go to make it work a bit easier really is Reaves. That’s another 1.75m cap savings right there. 

Just tell Reaves you'll pay him his contract over the next three years to join the in studio team. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Keirik said:

I could be wrong, but even if Reaves chose to retire I'm not sure there's cap savings to be had (over 35 contract?). Burying in AHL frees up enough to replace only. So it's basically trade...who's trading for him? The Rangers will also already have to pay someone to take Nemeth.

spacer.png

I traded Kakko to the Ducks (Groulx as part of return for cheap 4C option with some upside). If Kakko takes 2.3 or less (which I personally think is low), could just as easily trade Chytil, move Goodrow to C, put Kakko on the right. BUT...I cut a lot of corners here. Strome at only 5....which is way low...like I don't see him realistically going that low. 21 man roster, no 13F. I mean it's ugly.  Maybe you save a couple hundred K going cheaper at backup goalie, but that's really about it here in cutting more cap out.

Realistically Strome will probably be 5.5 minimum. If you can get Kakko dirt cheap at 1.8 (again, I really don't see this happening), move Chytil out instead, then you afford the Strome bump and it's the same total cap situation as above. Chytil and Kakko both out for ELC level players gets you a little bit of breathing room. Ideally you'd get their replacements in trade, or if Kravtsov getting a chance at coming back is legit rather than just smoke, or however ready Cuylle/Othmann are, etc.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Pete said:

It's not going to happen.

We always knew this was the one kick at the can with this group because we had the Cap room.

Gotta enjoy it, move on, and find the next Copp or Strome. 

Unfortunately, I think you're right, Pete.  Problem is...I totally fell in love with Copp, and Vatrano!  LOL

I'm thinking we have to keep the "core" together and basically build a "grinder line" every year when we make the playoff push.  Guys like Copp and Vatrano are obviously available, and can be had for a minimal amount of assets.

I guess whatever Drury does in the off season is going to be the best thing for this team moving forward.  He's seemingly made this team go from the outhouse to the penthouse in record time!  I'm going to place my trust in the hands of Drury. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rmc51 said:

I could be wrong, but even if Reaves chose to retire I'm not sure there's cap savings to be had (over 35 contract?). Burying in AHL frees up enough to replace only. So it's basically trade...who's trading for him? The Rangers will also already have to pay someone to take Nemeth.

spacer.png

I traded Kakko to the Ducks (Groulx as part of return for cheap 4C option with some upside). If Kakko takes 2.3 or less (which I personally think is low), could just as easily trade Chytil, move Goodrow to C, put Kakko on the right. BUT...I cut a lot of corners here. Strome at only 5....which is way low...like I don't see him realistically going that low. 21 man roster, no 13F. I mean it's ugly.  Maybe you save a couple hundred K going cheaper at backup goalie, but that's really about it here in cutting more cap out.

Realistically Strome will probably be 5.5 minimum. If you can get Kakko dirt cheap at 1.8 (again, I really don't see this happening), move Chytil out instead, then you afford the Strome bump and it's the same total cap situation as above. Chytil and Kakko both out for ELC level players gets you a little bit of breathing room. Ideally you'd get their replacements in trade, or if Kravtsov getting a chance at coming back is legit rather than just smoke, or however ready Cuylle/Othmann are, etc.

I hate to say it but regardless of Copp,  Strome either takes a team friendly deal or he is going somewhere else. This team can't afford to give out exact market value to everyone and a guy that is great here, but heavily dependent on lineages, isna perfect spot to establish a culture of team first.  

It'll be tough because obviously Strome is a great fit here and I think Panarin just really likes him. I don't know if not bringing him back, could affect Art in a really negative way. I just think he can be really difficult to play with. I don't mean from an ego standpoint, but just from a playstyle one. They put Kakko there and that didn't work at all, as an example. Strome just really fits well there and again, Panarin just really likes having him there.

I don't see a perfect world where they can bring back all of their acquisitions and Strome too. I really hope Drury can work some magic, but it might be almost impossible to clear enough money to do it.

The thing is, we have wing prospects. We have Othmann, Cuylle, Berard, and a few others with real chance to make the NHL roster and in the case of Othmann and Berard, potential to have some offensive impact. We do not have that at C at all. We don't really have a single C prospect that we can confidently say will make the roster in the next few years. Keeping Strome over Copp, in a position we're already weak at, is a must in my eyes. Wingers are an easier fix with how our organizational depth currently stands. 

35 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

The thing is, we have wing prospects. We have Othmann, Cuylle, Berard, and a few others with real chance to make the NHL roster and in the case of Othmann and Berard, potential to have some offensive impact. We do not have that at C at all. We don't really have a single C prospect that we can confidently say will make the roster in the next few years. Keeping Strome over Copp, in a position we're already weak at, is a must in my eyes. Wingers are an easier fix with how our organizational depth currently stands. 

Copp is a natural C. He is just versatile.

• Bullseye 1

I'd say there's roughly a zero percent chance that Copp and Vatrano are here next year, because they were always rental players and that's exactly what they are. It's a shame, because they've been great rental players, but like a fantastic Friday night movie from Blockbuster, eventually you gotta give it back. 

Not to take anything away from Copp, who is doing a fantastic job, but both Panarin is a once in a generation talented player and Ryan strome is a former fifth overall pick. You bank on those two guys to be able to make a large range of wingers good 100 times out of 100, and that's exactly what we should do in the offseason. 

12 hours ago, Pete said:

It's not going to happen.

We always knew this was the one kick at the can with this group because we had the Cap room.

Gotta enjoy it, move on, and find the next Copp or Strome. 

Exactly this. Like, I love the guy, too, but I've resigned myself to the idea that they're likely keeping exactly one of Strome, Copp, Vatrano, and maybe even Motte. Though I think Motte can probably just be kept for pretty cheap, so it's likely Strome + Motte and the others walk.

• Keeps it 100 1

21 minutes ago, Valriera said:

I'd say there's roughly a zero percent chance that Copp and Vatrano are here next year, because they were always rental players and that's exactly what they are. It's a shame, because they've been great rental players, but like a fantastic Friday night movie from Blockbuster, eventually you gotta give it back. 

Not to take anything away from Copp, who is doing a fantastic job, but both Panarin is a once in a generation talented player and Ryan strome is a former fifth overall pick. You bank on those two guys to be able to make a large range of wingers good 100 times out of 100, and that's exactly what we should do in the offseason. 

I think Copp was brought in not only for his talent but because, like many of us, Drury isn’t sold on Strome. 

I certainly am not sold on Strome. He takes stupid penalties and IMO is a liability at times that happens to score goals, being fed by Panarin. However, Panarin’s talent mesh with others as well, as we have seen with Copp. I would much rather keep Copp around that Strome. 

The problem is, Copp is probably going to command more than we can really offer. On Valtrano, I think we could keep him if we want, but that’s up to Drury. 

Edited by Chuck_IV

16 minutes ago, Chuck_IV said:

I think Copp was brought in not only for his talent but because, like many of us, Drury isn’t sold on Strome. 

I certainly am not sold on Strome. He takes stupid penalties and IMO is a liability at times that happens to score goals, being fed by Panarin. However, Panarin’s talent mesh with others as well, as we have seen with Copp. I would much rather keep Copp around that Strome. 

The problem is, Copp is probably going to command more than we can really offer. On Valtrano, I think we could keep him if we want, but that’s up to Drury. 

You realize Strome had a career high shooting percentage while not playing with Panarin right?

I can't believe we still have all these false narratives around a guy who's obviously in a leader in the locker room and produces.

16 minutes ago, Chuck_IV said:

Counter argument: Drury wants to keep Strome, and Copp gives a backup option should Strome not be flexible on price. It puts pressure on Strome to bring his ask down if he really wants to stay here.

• Applause 2

13 minutes ago, Phil said:

Exactly this. Like, I love the guy, too, but I've resigned myself to the idea that they're likely keeping exactly one of Strome, Copp, Vatrano, and maybe even Motte. Though I think Motte can probably just be kept for pretty cheap, so it's likely Strome + Motte and the others walk.

Personally, I think motte is the least important person to keep just because we have options elsewhere in Hunt. Rooney, Blais, etc. Hunt has another year and the others aren’t getting pay days by any means so just go with whatever is cost effective. 

6 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Personally, I think motte is the least important person to keep just because we have options elsewhere in Hunt. Rooney, Blais, etc. Hunt has another year and the others aren’t getting pay days by any means so just go with whatever is cost effective. 

Sure, maybe. I'm certainly not going out of my way to keep a fourth-liner. He's good, though. Lots of energy. But he's likely a placeholder for Blais who will bring all of the same with a bigger frame.

• Keeps it 100 1