• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Sign Undrafted Free Agent, Bobby Trivingo

Phil

Anybody who has watched UMass’ transformation to one of college hockey’s powerhouses, however, will tell you that Bobby Trivigno has been at the center of it.

Trivigno, an undrafted forward hailing from Setauket, New York, has been on the Rangers’ radar for quite some time. He would’ve participated in the Rangers’ development camp this year if not for the NCAA’s rules that prohibit players from missing school for NHL events, but a source says the 5-foot-8 pesky competitor has already met with members of the front office on Broadway.

If the stars align for Trivigno, there could be a contract with the team he grew up rooting for waiting for him at the end of his senior season early next month. Because he went undrafted, he is eligible to sign with any team when the season concludes.

Madison Square Garden is already familiar territory for Trivigno, whose family had season tickets when he was younger. Trivigno said he even remembers watching current president and general manager Chris Drury during his playing days with the Blueshirts.

Trivigno’s style of play checks all the boxes that Drury set out to add more of to the Rangers this past offseason, but his resume speaks for itself. A top-10 finalist and the favorite for the Hobey Baker this year, Trivigno just led UMass to back-to-back Hockey East championships and was a two-time MVP of the tournament in the process. He was also recently named UMass’ student athlete of the winter season.

Despite his size, Trivigno is always the most conditioned, disciplined and hardest working player on the ice, according to Carvel. Not only will Trivigno’s consistency earn the trust of an NHL coach, Carvel said, but his speed and skating abilities should separate him from the pack as well.

“His will really kind of makes up for that difference in size,” Carvel said. “Throw a puck in the corner with him and anybody at this level, I don’t care how big the other person is, he’ll come out with it more times than not.

“We used to start almost every video session with him knocking somebody over twice his size.”

https://nypost.com/2022/03/24/rangers-have-eyes-on-umass-standout-bobby-trivigno/

• Phil changed the title to Bobby Trivigno in Rangers' Sights With Standout UMass Career Ending
  • Phil changed the title to Bobby Trivigno in Rangers' Sights With Standout Umass Career Ending
3 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

How do kids with this pedigree go undrafted? Seems wierd that he is the centerpiece of his championship winning college team and is a favorite for the Hobey Baker but yet didn't move the needle enough to get drafted.

Listed at 5'8 152 lbs

It's still not desired by some around the league for some archaic reason. 

6 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

How do kids with this pedigree go undrafted? Seems wierd that he is the centerpiece of his championship winning college team and is a favorite for the Hobey Baker but yet didn't move the needle enough to get drafted.

He just turned 23.  Lot of development in the last 5 years.  Late bloomer. 

34 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

30 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Listed at 5'8 152 lbs

It's still not desired by some around the league for some archaic reason. 

26 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

He just turned 23.  Lot of development in the last 5 years.  Late bloomer. 

Undrafted,  size and age are definitely two strikes, Jimmy Feces also won the Hobey so that doesn't always mean NHL success.  For every St. Louis success story there's  countless others who never get more than a cup of coffee if that at the NHL level.

That said sure sign the kid, but based on all unmet expectations around 1OA, 2OA, Krav etc. I wouldn't expect a single thing out of this guy until he actual proves it at the highest level. Until then he's Wolfpack material.

• Like 1
  • LMFAO 3

3 minutes ago, jsrangers said:

Undrafted,  size and age are definitely two strikes, Jimmy Feces also won the Hobey so that doesn't always mean NHL success.  For every St. Louis success story there's  countless others who never get more than a cup of coffee if that at the NHL level.

That said sure sign the kid, but based on all unmet expectations around 1OA, 2OA, Krav etc. I wouldn't expect a single thing out of this guy until he actual proves it at the highest level. Until then he's Wolfpack material.

Literally laughed out loud while reading "Jimmy Feces". My wife is looking at me like I'm an idiot.

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

I think we bought him a shot at the Village Idiot last month!

It still exists?  I saw on TV the huge crowds outside Veselka who are suddenly interested in Ukrainian food.  Poor Odessa, I read that it closed months before the invasion.

Similar senior season offensive output as stalwart signing Jimmy Vesey, except Vesey had a way better junior season.

All it costs is money and a contract. We're not short on either of those, and we have only four picks this draft (and possibly without a 1st). I don't think it hurts signing the guy to a 2-year entry level deal. He's 23, so he's either gonna put up or shut up in Hartford real quick.

hard to even say struck out though because its not like they gave up anything to get those guys

Kevin hayes was a good college signing (albeit a much different situation as he was a first rounder that didn't sign). Nothing to lose on any of these guys. worst case scenario they end up in hartford and never crack the show

Ryan Haggerty never made it but somehow got us Raanta in a trade

Edited by BlairBettsBlocksEverything

• Phil changed the title to Bobby Trivigno in Rangers' Sights With Standout UMass Career Ending

What's the point in being hung up on a comparison? Trivigno is a high-energy forward with offensive capabilities. He is what he is. What he becomes is what he becomes. Vesey, Haggerty, Zuccarello, etc. are largely irrelevant here.

Trivigno is a highly touted college talent who offers more than offense. If he ends up having actual NHL aspirations and 3rd line potential, that's great. Let's worry about signing the kid and then seeing how he plays against pro competition before we worry about who or what he might become. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

58 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

What's the point in being hung up on a comparison? Trivigno is a high-energy forward with offensive capabilities. He is what he is. What he becomes is what he becomes. Vesey, Haggerty, Zuccarello, etc. are largely irrelevant here.

Trivigno is a highly touted college talent who offers more than offense. If he ends up having actual NHL aspirations and 3rd line potential, that's great. Let's worry about signing the kid and then seeing how he plays against pro competition before we worry about who or what he might become. 

This is exactly what I meant, lol.