• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

ESPN Bold Predictions - Shesterkin for Hart? We. Win the Cup?

LindG1000

https://www.espn.com/nhl/insider/story/_/id/33140508/bold-predictions-second-half-nhl-season-trades-playoff-races-awards-more

New York Rangers goalie Igor Shesterkin will win the Hart Trophy

You read that right -- I didn't say Vezina Trophy, I said Hart -- as in the top individual trophy any NHL player can win at the NHL awards ... goalie, goal scorer or otherwise.

Sure, Alex Ovechkin is putting up wild numbers, Nazem Kadri is having a remarkable season in Colorado and the Oilers have two players scoring at a furious pace. There's also the fact that a goaltender doesn't often win the Hart; it has happened only eight times in league history, the last time being Carey Price in 2015.

To me, it's all about the definition of the award: This award is given "to the player adjudged to be the most valuable to his team." This season, Shesterkin embodies that definition. He has been the backbone of the Rangers' meteoric rise. Before the season started, the conversation surrounding the Rangers was about battling for a playoff spot -- who could have dreamed of battling for the league lead in points? Shesterkin has been incredibly clutch when the team has needed it, and perhaps the biggest reason this team is finding itself at the top of the tables. Individually, he's first in the league in save percentage, at .936, and second in goals-against average, at 2.08

If the Rangers make the playoffs and Shesterkin continues his level of play, I can see him hoisting some hardware after April. -- Arda Ocal, NHL host

The Rangers will win the Stanley Cup

I grew up with the chant of "19-40!" as a staple at Islanders and Devils games when they would meet the Rangers, and we're almost at the point where a "19-94!" chant might begin to appear. That's what can happen when you've won one Cup in 82 years.

But they may have the best goaltender and best defenseman in the game, in Igor Shesterkin and Adam Fox. Chris Kreider is having a magical season. The young core Rangers fans have long waited to see develop is developing. Plus, they've added that grit to the roster that was lacking.

When a title is within reach in New York, there's always a sense of urgency to make a big trade, and I think they will (I know Jakob Chychrun's name has been out there). I think the Rangers end the "new" 28-year drought and win the Cup. -- Bob Wischusen, NHL play-by-play

2 minutes ago, CCCP said:

Shesterkin vs. Lundqvist.  Who do you think is a better goaltender?

I was thinking about it the other night.  Of course Shesty doesnt have the longevity to judge objectively but going by eye tests, to me Shesty has the edge over Lundqvist.  

Maybe, but in a game 7 I take Hank over anyone.

Just now, CCCP said:

I was thinking about it the other night.  Of course Shesty doesnt have the longevity to judge objectively but going by eye tests, to me Shesty has the edge over Lundqvist.  

Man, that's a tough one, Simon!!!  Hank ironically is royalty in Ranger's lore, even without a Cup.  Igor is going to have to at the very least climb the mountain Henrik had to scale, and if Shesty can land us the Holy Grail....yeah, then I'd say he's the new King.

He is off to a FABULOUS start though.  I love watching him play!!!

2 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Man, that's a tough one, Simon!!!  Hank ironically is royalty in Ranger's lore, even without a Cup.  Igor is going to have to at the very least climb the mountain Henrik had to scale, and if Shesty can land us the Holy Grail....yeah, then I'd say he's the new King.

He is off to a FABULOUS start though.  I love watching him play!!!

All I know is that we're spoiled as fuck to go from Hank to Shesterkin.

Just now, G1000 said:

All I know is that we're spoiled as fuck to go from Hank to Shesterkin.

I used the word "Blessed", G.  I also got to see Richter and Giacomin before that in their primes!!! 

I'm old....I know!!!  😉

But yeah man, pretty much 2 generational talent goalies, back to back??   Oh yeah Spoiled as hell!!!   ....and LOVING IT!!! 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I used the word "Blessed", G.  I also got to see Richter and Giacomin before that in their primes!!! 

I'm old....I know!!!  😉

But yeah man, pretty much 2 generational talent goalies, back to back??   Oh yeah Spoiled as hell!!!   ....and LOVING IT!!! 

I'm somewhat loath to put Richter to Henrik - it was only two years in truth, but more like five with his injuries. But those few years were without question the worst goaltending I've seen out of this team in my life.

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, CCCP said:

Hank and it’s not even close. Give me 10 more years of this and then we will talk. Also, be a fucking god in every elimination game along the way. 

1 hour ago, CCCP said:

Was thinking about this the other night too, and on a night to night basis, Shesty doesn't have the soft goal syndrome that Hank seemed to have.

BUT

Hank's playoff career speaks for itself. The amount of Game 7 wins and shutouts Hank had was insane and Shesty hasn't yet sniffed the playoffs. 

Hank also never got hurt and Shesty is laying on the ice every three months so I think the question will be best answered when this team makes a few runs and we either do, or don't, win the cup. Because that's where Hank fell short. In order to be better than Hank, you need to win the cup, period. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • VINNY! 2
  • Keeps it 100 1

Just now, ThirtyONE said:

Was thinking about this the other night too, and on a night to night basis, Shesty doesn't have the soft goal syndrome that Hank seemed to have.

BUT

Hank's playoff career speaks for itself. The amount of Game 7 wins and shutouts Hank had was insane and Shesty hasn't yet sniffed the playoffs. 

Hank also never got hurt and Shesty is laying on the ice every three months so I think the question will be best answered when this team makes a few runs and we either do, or don't, win the cup. Because that's where Hank fell short. In order to be better than Hank, you need to win the cup, period. 

Yeah and the excuse for Shesty is that he’s not used to so many games in a season. Then you look at Hanks Frolunda games and how he came in here basically day 1 and never gave up his net from the jump 

1 hour ago, G1000 said:

I am not a believe on the stanley cup side unless our kids show something in the end of the year that they're ready to step up. Otherwise we are not getting past second round. I do think we have one round in us though, and a second round loss would be perfect for this group. Have a lot of playoff pain and learning to go through (just look at buffalo bills right now)

14 minutes ago, ThirtyONE said:

BUT

Mostly agree with this. And further to support Henrik, I'd say the soft goal syndrome became more of an issue in his latter years when age caught up to him, which isn't a fair comparison. Comparing Henrik at the same stage of his career to Shesty, I'd still give the edge to Henrik.

Edited by Karan
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, ThirtyONE said:

BUT

so you think Richter was a better goalie than Hank? or Cam Ward? or Corey Crawford? or Matt Murray?  they all won the cup.  

i think in general you could be a better goalie just by having better stats.  Winning the cup is a team achievement. 

But

my OP stated that Shesty does not have Hank's longevity and experience, therefore you cant go by records throughout careers.  We've watched Hank for 15 years and couple of seasons of Shesty, who do you think is a better goaltender? IMO apart from getting hurt every couple of months, Shesty is a better, more acrobatic and more athletic goalie.