• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Is it Time to Think Big?

LindG1000

2 hours ago, G1000 said:

Just to gut check your math - the cap for next year per CF is still 81.5m; we already know the cap will be 82.5 next season. So add 1M to your end number there. 3M for Rooney, Gauthier, Hajek.

As for their contracts - respectively - 1m, don't care, don't care. Neither are important to next season and both can either take their QOs and play for their roster spots in camp or get dealt for mid-round picks.

At the end of the day, the only difference between your math and mine is that I got Patrick Kane earmarked for the balance instead of Gaut/Hajek and gave Blais some of Kakko's money. I'm taking that every day of the week.

Weird you say that. Puckpedia has that total but capfriendly didn’t. I was always under the impression capfriendly was more accurate. 

I’m on board with adding a big name ticket but I just don’t see it happening without gutting something I don’t want to gut. I look at our two previous runs under Torts and AV. This roster currently supersedes those two prior runs. Maybe not if you looked at goalie because in a game 7 or elimination game I trust Hank before Shesty just since He’s been there before. However, Ziby is better than any 1c we had on previous runs. bread is better than any winger we had on runs. Kreider is better NOW than he was in any previous run. Strome is better than any 2c we had. Alf/Kakko are more talented than many other guys in the last couple of decades. 

On D, Fox is better than any Rangers to play for this franchise sans Leetch. Trouba is equal to many bruisers we’ ve had like Beukeboom. Miller is talented and mobile. Our D is solid. The pair itself of Lindgren and Fox gel so much and our 3 d roles with a highly talented D in Lundkvist or even Jones. 

Does this team need an outside big name? Who knows. This team is so much better than we realize though. NHL is seeing it so there’s that. Best thing to do in my mind is allow this team to work out what we have. 70 some odd days til trade deadline. 

• Keeps it 100 1

9 hours ago, Ozzy said:

That's some solid research, G Man.  I'm far and away no cap expert, but it looks from how you've slotted it, that it may just work out. 

We may even move Georgiev as well, which could free up some extra space.  I just don't wanna lose anyone to "go for it" for just one year.  I'd like to see the window on this team open for the next 5 years at least, but if they can swing it without denting the car, why not?

Can’t move George

Igor can get hurt, then what?

• VINNY! 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

7 hours ago, Keirik said:

Weird you say that. Puckpedia has that total but capfriendly didn’t. I was always under the impression capfriendly was more accurate. 

I’m on board with adding a big name ticket but I just don’t see it happening without gutting something I don’t want to gut. I look at our two previous runs under Torts and AV. This roster currently supersedes those two prior runs. Maybe not if you looked at goalie because in a game 7 or elimination game I trust Hank before Shesty just since He’s been there before. However, Ziby is better than any 1c we had on previous runs. bread is better than any winger we had on runs. Kreider is better NOW than he was in any previous run. Strome is better than any 2c we had. Alf/Kakko are more talented than many other guys in the last couple of decades. 

On D, Fox is better than any Rangers to play for this franchise sans Leetch. Trouba is equal to many bruisers we’ ve had like Beukeboom. Miller is talented and mobile. Our D is solid. The pair itself of Lindgren and Fox gel so much and our 3 d roles with a highly talented D in Lundkvist or even Jones. 

Does this team need an outside big name? Who knows. This team is so much better than we realize though. NHL is seeing it so there’s that. Best thing to do in my mind is allow this team to work out what we have. 70 some odd days til trade deadline. 

Maybe. Maybe not. But seeing as we are one of few teams in the NHL with the cap space and the assets to go get a big name or two, why wouldn't we?

It's nice to talk about windows, but banners fly forever. Names on the cup last forever. And we will get so so many more chances at it this decade, sure, but why not really swing hard right now? 

I'm not arguing for a trade that sends Alf or Kakko or a truly key piece of our future. That's not a good idea. But it's perfectly fine to consider moving up to and including the Nils Lundkvists of the system to make this happen.

• Cheers 1
  • VINNY! 1

7 hours ago, Go Blue said:

Can’t move George

Igor can get hurt, then what?

I hear ya, Blue...but I still don't trust Georgiev...especially in a playoff game. 

I still wanna see what transpires over the next 2 months.  @Keirik made some pretty good points in his post as well, and it may be worth standing pat for a while to see where we can go from here....or if we even need to go big.

• VINNY! 1
  • Applause 1

15 hours ago, josh said:

As long as you aren't mad with lack of production when you get a first line player and stick him on the third line with no PP opportunities 

Giroux is one of the few players I would replace Strome with on PP1, just to ensure we won the faceoff.

Giroux would most definitely out produce Chytil in a third line role.  Likely increase the production of Laf.  As a multi-time Selke contender would create a very good shutdown line with Laf/Goodrow.  Would provide great C depth should Zib or Strome miss some games.  

It just makes too much sense.

Kreider-Zib-Kakko

Panarin-Strome-Hunt

Laf-Giroux-Goodrow

Reaves-Rooney-Gaut

6 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Giroux is one of the few players I would replace Strome with on PP1, just to ensure we won the faceoff.

Giroux would most definitely out produce Chytil in a third line role.  Likely increase the production of Laf.  As a multi-time Selke contender would create a very good shutdown line with Laf/Goodrow.  Would provide great C depth should Zib or Strome miss some games.  

Kreider-Zib-Kakko

Panarin-Strome-Hunt

Laf-Giroux-Goodrow

Reaves-Rooney-Gaut

That looks a TON better....

...and I really would've liked to see Chytil catch on, but I'm just not feeling it with him.  Strange too, because I can believe in, and buy into the whole "Lafreniere" and "Kakko" thing, and just not feel it at all with Chytil.

5 hours ago, Long live the King said:

Kreider-Zib-Kakko

Panarin-Strome-Hunt

Laf-Giroux-Goodrow

Reaves-Rooney-Gaut

A part of me feels like this might be Eric Staal-like move.

I mentioned in a different thread that I didnt think he was playing C either, but P&P posted otherwise.

20 minutes ago, josh said:

A part of me feels like this might be Eric Staal-like move.

I mentioned in a different thread that I didnt think he was playing C either, but P&P posted otherwise.

Way different situation.   

That team needed scoring from Staal.  Zucc was the leading scorer with 61 points.

Current team has 5 guys on pace for over 70 points.  Giroux brings leadership, defense, faceoffs, more hard to play against.  All upgrades on Chytil.  And the scoring increase is icing on the cake.

Edited by Long live the King
  • Cheers 1
  • Applause 1

I, like many, like the idea of Giroux very much. But I really just don’t see the Rangers and Flyers seeing eye to eye on a deal mid season for him. I don’t see us wanting to relinquish assets that we deem valuable to the Flyers, and I don’t see them wanting to trade a franchise icon and their Captain here in a deal that could potentially be a cake topper to a Rangers Cup run either this season or soon after. I think we do have enough to nab him, but I do think it would be a situation similar to that with Eichel, where Buffalo wanted to send him anywhere but here, and if it ever was going to be here, the Rangers would be paying a super premium price to have it happen.

We will see what happens with this as it gets closer to the deadline, as I’m sure it’s one of the many options Drury will target. 

5 hours ago, Long live the King said:

Way different situation.   

That team needed scoring from Staal.  Zucc was the leading scorer with 61 points.

Current team has 5 guys on pace for over 70 points.  Giroux brings leadership, defense, faceoffs, more hard to play against.  All upgrades on Chytil.  And the scoring increase is icing on the cake.

They really kinda just have to do better than Chytil and it's an improvement IMO.

I'd seriously get Brassard on the cheap and go from there. This way they can try plugging Chytil in at wing and see how everything shakes out. Maybe he's awesome there? 

But if Giroux is an affordable trade target.  I'm down with it. 1st liner in a 3rd liner role be damned. The depth is something you dream of. Heck, maybe if negotiations fail with Strome, Giroux will have had his own showcase for the Rangers to negotiate with him as Stromes possible replacement.. Obviously he'd have to perform..

Edited by The Dude

5 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I, like many, like the idea of Giroux very much. But I really just don’t see the Rangers and Flyers seeing eye to eye on a deal mid season for him. I don’t see us wanting to relinquish assets that we deem valuable to the Flyers, and I don’t see them wanting to trade a franchise icon and their Captain here in a deal that could potentially be a cake topper to a Rangers Cup run either this season or soon after. I think we do have enough to nab him, but I do think it would be a situation similar to that with Eichel, where Buffalo wanted to send him anywhere but here, and if it ever was going to be here, the Rangers would be paying a super premium price to have it happen.

We will see what happens with this as it gets closer to the deadline, as I’m sure it’s one of the many options Drury will target. 

Fans say this kind of thing all the time but it never seems to stop other divisions from doing it. Why is the Metro special?

Oilers-Flames, Leafs-Bruins, Canes-Pens, Habs-Lightning, etc. have all done divisional deals in recent times.

7 minutes ago, The Dude said:

They really kinda just have to do better than Chytil and it's an improvement IMO.

I'd seriously get Brassard on the cheap and go from there. This way they can try plugging Chytil in at wing and see how everything shakes out. Maybe he's awesome there? 

But if Giroux is an affordable trade target.  I'm down with it. 1st liner in a 3rd liner role be damned. The depth is something you dream of. Heck, maybe if negotiations fail with Strome, Giroux will have had his own showcase for the Rangers to negotiate with him as Syromes possible replacement.. Obviously he'd have to perform..

Too bad you won’t see this response but yea, let’s trade for Brassard, a 34 y/o with a hip injury that has kept him out for half the year already.  And you mock Drury???

1 hour ago, Phil said:

I mean, if you really want to go big, get Patrick Kane. Double-retention with Arizona.

Panarin-Strome-Kane

Kreider-Zibanejad-Kakko

Good fuckin' luck, opposing teams.

I’m just trying to be a bit more realistic lol but I guess you never know.

• LOL 1

It's definitely nice to follow the team again and have positive vibes on the opening face off.

Yankees: wonder who does show up today. The pitcher or the bats.  How does Boone fuck it up today. 

Raiders:  oh God, this is going to be embarrassing. 

• LOL 1
  • Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, Mess11 said:

It's definitely nice to follow the team again and have positive vibes on the opening face off.

Yankees: wonder who does show up today. The pitcher or the bats.  How does Boone fuck it up today. 

Raiders:  oh God, this is going to be embarrassing. 

You and I have a lot in common, Mess!!  LOL

...only one thing you left out:  "Why does every Par 4 feel like a Par 6?"

• LMFAO 1