• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Is it Time to Think Big?

LindG1000

All deference to the poker reference, but let's take census of where we are:

• We have 48 points through 34 games for first in the league
    • We can make a strength of schedule argument, but both Carolina and Washington (and the Pens for what that's worth) have actually played weaker schedules than we have.
  • We're tied for 4th in points percent, with the Leafs, Panthers, and Hurricanes ahead of us - barely in the case of the Leafs and Panthers
  • We have a ridiculously deep prospect cabinet and plenty of futures to move
  • We have a TON of cap space this season - space that no other contender in our conference has
    • Carolina, Washington, Pitt, and Tampa are all "over" the cap once their covid cases resolve
    • Toronto and Florida are both at under 250k cap and will also be "over" cap once their cases resolve
    • We have ~5.6M in cap today and will have close to 9M+ at the deadline to add 
    • All of this means that buyers probably can't buy that well, sellers prices will have to drop to move pieces.
  • The roster holes - a mid-six RW, a 3C, and a third pairing D - are all things that get dealt at every deadline.
  • The cap squeezes up pretty tightly on us starting next season.

This feels like the iron will never be hotter - or at least won't be nearly this hot next season and the season after. It's time to go big.

• VINNY! 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

I don't agree. We don't even know what we have in the playoffs yet, which could very well be nothing. I sit tight here, unless someone becomes available that is a medium term option for our third line, and see what happens. The only real thing we could be looking at grabbing for this playoffs is Reilly Smith which would be fantastic at a low rental price. 

This team may look good now but has never been through a real playoff series, let alone a push to the 2nd and 3rd rounds, and you need to lose there before thinking big. 

Team looks great though and very pleased with the step this year.

6 minutes ago, Valriera said:

I don't agree. We don't even know what we have in the playoffs yet, which could very well be nothing. I sit tight here, unless someone becomes available that is a medium term option for our third line, and see what happens. The only real thing we could be looking at grabbing for this playoffs is Reilly Smith which would be fantastic at a low rental price. 

This team may look good now but has never been through a real playoff series, let alone a push to the 2nd and 3rd rounds, and you need to lose there before thinking big. 

Sure, but your flexibility to add those rental pieces changes drastically after this season. And lets not forget that we actually have playoff experience on this roster - Kreider, Goodrow, Blais (if he's ready for May 1, that'd be amazing!), Trouba, Panarin, Zibanejad - they've all either been on long playoff runs or won Cups. 

Not many buyers can add. We can. Not many teams have the prospect depth to swing something incredible this season. We can.

I don't think we're "ready", but I do think the circumstances around the league are never going to be better for us to swing big and try.

Maybe put another way - if Chytil, Robertson, a 1st and the Blues 2nd get us the pieces we need to go from playoff team to legitimate contender and give us a real shot at a cup - we have to do it, don't we?

11 minutes ago, G1000 said:

All of this means that buyers probably can't buy that well, sellers prices will have to drop to move pieces.

Moreover, they need third teams to swing for the fences. That dramatically reduces the market for the biggest fish, which likely prevents insane bidding wars.

I am 100%, unequivocally all in on this season. Go. Big.

2 minutes ago, G1000 said:

I don't think we're "ready", but I do think the circumstances around the league are never going to be better for us to swing big and try.

Right, and it's important to note that waiting until "you're ready," is often foolish, because factors you cannot possibly account for — Covid, injuries, unexpected collapses (hi, Islanders) — happen when they happen and don't care about your planning.

Smart teams react to reality, they don't try playing 4D chess with an ever-moving board.

• Like 1

Just now, Phil said:

Moreover, they need third teams to swing for the fences. That dramatically reduces the market for the biggest fish, which likely prevents insane bidding wars.

I am 100%, unequivocally all in on this season. Go. Big.

The Coyotes will own half the second round of this draft by the TDL for that reason alone. And we shouldn't be averse to using them, or the Sabres, or the Canadiens, or any other team early in a rebuild to launder some cap and think longer term, because we can outbid the other teams too. No good reason to pass on term deals when you can push 75% of the cap to other teams as part of the deal. We should absolutely be thinking about guys like Meier, Kane, and Eberle in addition to guys like Giroux, Pavelski, and Giordano

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, G1000 said:

It's a fair point and it's most likely not going to be better next year. I suppose the situation is a little better given that we know that any trade is a rental since next year we have no space, so it will certainly help the GM keep the cost down. 

Edited by Valriera

Just now, torontonyr said:

Earnestly asking:

Have Gallant-lead teams ever "swung for the fences" or do they typically roll with his guys?

Vegas pulled Tatar and Reaves at or around the 2018 TDL when they went to the Finals, and swung for Mark Stone in '19. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Valriera said:

It's a fair point and it's most likely not going to be better next year. I suppose the situation is a little better given that we know that any trade is a rental since next year we have no space, so it will certainly help the GM keep the cost down. 

It doesn't even have to be a true rental. If we're willing to pay the price to go through a third team and get the cap hit managed, we can talk about guys with some term like Kane, Eberle, Timo Meier, Brock Boeser, or JT Miller. 75% of 5-10 million is a really manageable cap number for any of those caliber of players.

3 minutes ago, torontonyr said:

Earnestly asking:

Have Gallant-lead teams ever "swung for the fences" or do they typically roll with his guys?

Yes, twice. Three times, technically, if you move off the trade deadline.

They sent a first, second, and third for Tatar in February of 2018.

They then flipped him, Suzuki and a second for Pacioretty that same September.

They also traded Lindberg, Brannstrom, and a second for Mark Stone.

Well of course. There is no reason why they can’t add a rental or two for a playoff run. All you have to do is be in it and let the chips fall where they may.  We aren’t that far off so if we can add a piece AND get continual growth of Kakko and Alf then we are golden and pose a serious threat in the playoffs. 

what they need to do along the way of boosting a playoff roster is try to see if they can trade Chytil or Nemeth along the way. That 2.3m/2.5m cap space is going to be vital this coming offseason if we want to keep Strome. 

• VINNY! 1

8 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Well of course. There is no reason why they can’t add a rental or two for a playoff run. All you have to do is be in it and let the chips fall where they may.  We aren’t that far off so if we can add a piece AND get continual growth of Kakko and Alf then we are golden and pose a serious threat in the playoffs. 

what they need to do along the way of boosting a playoff roster is try to see if they can trade Chytil or Nemeth along the way. That 2.3m/2.5m cap space is going to be vital this coming offseason if we want to keep Strome. 

Oh no - I'm not saying add a rental. I'm saying it's time to go real big. 

46 minutes ago, Valriera said:

I don't like this rationale. "The team's not supposed to be this good so don't go for it" is basically what you're saying. 

You literally never know when you have a good chance to make a run. You hope to build yourself a decent sized cup window so you can make a run for 15 straight years but that doesn't happen by just sitting around and waiting for it.

The team is set for the next 4-5 years. Go get two or three rentals and give it a crack. What's the worst that happens? we've been talking about dealing from strength for 3 years now and it still hasn't happened. Seems like nows as good a time as any. Vegas wasn't supposed to go to the final in Gallant's first year either. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Did I miss it when the league got rid of the salary cap? Lol

Nope. But we have more space than almost every other contender and we could navigate a monster acquisition over a few years through retention and offing Chytil or Nemeth.

2 minutes ago, G1000 said:

Nope. But we have more space than almost every other contender and we could navigate a monster acquisition over a few years through retention and offing Chytil or Nemeth.

We have space this year yes. We have under 10m right now for next offseason while still needing to reup Strome and .Kakko, replace Geo, figure out what to do with Rooney, Hajek, and Gauthier.  I don’t think there is much space to add anything but a rental. Even if you moved both Chytil and Nemeth it’s still incredibly tight just keeping the roster intact (except a backup G that isn’t as expensive) without the additions. 

Let’s say we managed to convince Strome to take 5m for 3 years and bridged Kakko at 3m. That leaves under 2m for the rest, or a tad under 7m if you dumped Chytil and Nemeth without adding a contract. 

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Yes, twice. Three times, technically, if you move off the trade deadline.

They sent a first, second, and third for Tatar in February of 2018.

They then flipped him, Suzuki and a second for Pacioretty that same September.

They also traded Lindberg, Brannstrom, and a second for Mark Stone.

Dang, had no idea.

Buckle up.