• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

World Juniors Megathread

I really don’t understand this. I’m currently COVID positive. I felt sort of shitty for two days and then fine after. These guys are over 26 years younger than me, probably in better shape (🙃), and isolated from high risk people.  I know they’re on a limited time frame but if they all understand the risk, I’d let them keep playing. 

4 minutes ago, Kevin said:

I really don’t understand this. I’m currently COVID positive. I felt sort of shitty for two days and then fine after. These guys are over 26 years younger than me, probably in better shape (🙃), and isolated from high risk people.  I know they’re on a limited time frame but if they all understand the risk, I’d let them keep playing. 

This is it, for me. They're already pretty much in a bubble and they either already have it or will get it on the way home! Let them play. 

From a players perspective. Can't blame him at all for having such a reaction. It was poorly organized from the start. If all it took was a few positive tests to forfeit games and even cancel the tournament, then how the hell was it not setup in a bubble environment? The positive tests shouldn't have come as breaking news to the IIHF given the current wave spreading like wildfire and putting the players in hotels with general public.

Definitely should have been in a bubble environment. $$$ talks though. they wanted to sell tickets so they jeopardized the entire thing.

These players were robbed of some very valuable experiences, fans were robbed of great hockey.

I get being cautious. Omicron is spreading like wildfire at rates that we didn't even see in the first iteration of it. And the vaccines are helping but also were designed to fight that first iteration, not the variants. Its evolved to get way more contagious (but less severe I've read) that the other variants and although the vaccine has helped keep cases from being serious, it's still a threat. 

With that said, holding this tournament the way they did was a disaster. This shouldve been bubbled. the womens tournament that got cancelled could have been a bubble too. In the end it all came down to money. They dont wanna spend where they need to spend. Lets just cross our fingers that a highly transmissible virus just magically doesn;t impact a large group of people all staying in the same place as other outside folks as well

1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Shouldn't have held it in Chinada.  Move it to the states or back to Europe.  Let Canada try again next year.

It was supposed to be in Gothenburg SWE... But Canada missed out on fans last year, so...ya know...they got it again.