• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Ryan Strome, Rangers Have No Current Plans to Discuss New Contract

Phil

It’s looking like the 28-year-old center may hit the free agent market for the first time in his career once the two-year contract he signed with the Rangers last November expires. After the signings of No. 1 center Mika Zibanejad and reigning Norris Trophy winner Adam Fox to massive deals, in addition to an impending contract for Kaapo Kakko, the Rangers likely aren’t financially equipped to retain Strome.

There haven’t been any contract discussions between Strome’s camp and the Rangers to date, and, at the moment, there isn’t a plan to have any, The Post has learned. So Strome may have to treat this season as a showcase for his next prospective NHL team.

https://nypost.com/2021/11/20/ryan-strome-rangers-have-no-current-plans-to-talk-new-deal/

Yeah, I don't know how you upgrade on Strome without spending more money than what Strome costs.

It gives me very little hope to think any downgrade on Strome doesn't turn our already iffy Center depth in to a full blown fiasco.

The rebuild, at this point, was having Fox and Panarin fall in to their lap, a goalie they drafted eons ago come of age, and lucking in to Kakko and Lafreniere, though it's now pretty clear that mileage out of those two may vary, and Lafreniere in particular, it's almost certainly a 1OA bust.

I'm not worried about the D, there's waves there even if a couple don't pan out, but it's hard to see how we take the next step without Lafreniere and Kakko hitting, and at an absolute minimum, maintain status quo down the middle.

6 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Yeah, I don't know how you upgrade on Strome without spending more money than what Strome costs.

It gives me very little hope to think any downgrade on Strome doesn't turn our already iffy Center depth in to a full blown fiasco.

The rebuild, at this point, was having Fox and Panarin fall in to their lap, a goalie they drafted eons ago come of age, and lucking in to Kakko and Lafreniere, though it's now pretty clear that mileage out of those two may vary, and Lafreniere in particular, it's almost certainly a 1OA bust.

I'm not worried about the D, there's waves there even if a couple don't pan out, but it's hard to see how we take the next step without Lafreniere and Kakko hitting, and at an absolute minimum, maintain status quo down the middle.

Kakko and Lafreniere disappointing does help keep their costs down, so there's that... why they don't use that "savings" to re-sign Strome is beyond me. 

25 minutes ago, Dunny said:

If Strome stays he’d probably command a long-term contract which the Rangers arent able to accommodate. He’d want to secure his future and rightfully so. 
and the concensus is that any center can just keep finding Panarin and rack up points. 

Edited by CCCP

32 minutes ago, Morphinity said:

Kakko and Lafreniere disappointing does help keep their costs down, so there's that... why they don't use that "savings" to re-sign Strome is beyond me. 

There's ways to keep Strome, you can replace Geo with Kinkade and give that cap space to Strome.

7 minutes ago, Dunny said:

It's also what makes the Reaves extension so mind boggling 

And frustrating.

And confusing as there are some of the same people applauding the off ice contributions and cheerleading of Reaves, with nil on ice impact...Who want to simply let Strome walk because he's so easily replaceable both in the ice and in the room? There's some cognitive dissonance there.

What if they're a playoff team and what if Strome lights it up in the playoffs? Then what do you do?

Edited by Pete

I don't buy that it's a cap issue as much as it is more of the "we need to get tougher" mantra, for which your mileage may vary.

I mean Boston won a Cup with David Krejci as a #2C, Caps won one with Backstrom and Kuznetsov down the middle.

39 minutes ago, Valriera said:

I don’t buy it. We have the space to sign strome for 6-7 for whatever term. The issue will be if he thinks he’s worth more than that or longer and I don’t think he wants to move 

No, they don't. The Rangers have $10.6M this coming offseason with Kakko, Blais, and Georgiev set to be RFAs. Strome and Rooney are UFAs.

Blais and Kakko likely get bridges which will take up a total of $5-6M assuming they both get AAVs in the $2.5-3M range. Let's say they let Georgiev go, any decent backup is getting paid $1.5-2.25M. That's already $6.5-8.25M of a possible $10.6M.

Rooney I'd want to re-sign but that's probably going to take $1.5-2M. Now they're up to $8-10.25M. 

That's almost the entirety of their cap space right there. There's no practical way to fit Strome even with a $1M raise unless you're also shipping out Chytil and Nemeth and replacing them with near minimum salary players. That still doesn't give you enough space if they end up closer to that previously mentioned $10.25M range.

Ryan Reaves isn't the difference between keeping Strome or not. The $800k or so you'd be paying a replacement player instead still wouldn't be enough.

The issue is that the Rangers paid Trouba $2-3M more than he's worth. That would actually make a difference here. Unless the cap raises significantly enough, the Rangers would have to sacrifice 2-3 players to make room to keep Strome and still have breathing room. It's not more of "we need to get tougher" mantra. It's a bad move they made biting them in the ass.

5 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

No, they don't. The Rangers have $10.6M this coming offseason with Kakko, Blais, and Georgiev set to be RFAs. Strome and Rooney are UFAs.

Blais and Kakko likely get bridges which will take up a total of $5-6M assuming they both get AAVs in the $2.5-3M range. Let's say they let Georgiev go, any decent backup is getting paid $1.5-2.25M. That's already $6.5-8.25M of a possible $10.6M.

Rooney I'd want to re-sign but that's probably going to take $1.5-2M. Now they're up to $8-10.25M. 

That's almost the entirety of their cap space right there. There's no practical way to fit Strome even with a $1M raise unless you're also shipping out Chytil and Nemeth and replacing them with near minimum salary players. That still doesn't give you enough space if they end up closer to that previously mentioned $10.25M range.

Ryan Reaves isn't the difference between keeping Strome or not. The $800k or so you'd be paying a replacement player instead still wouldn't be enough.

The issue is that the Rangers paid Trouba $2-3M more than he's worth. That would actually make a difference here. Unless the cap raises significantly enough, the Rangers would have to sacrifice 2-3 players to make room to keep Strome and still have breathing room. It's not more of "we need to get tougher" mantra. It's a bad move they made biting them in the ass.

What you've left out is the cost of replacing Strome anyway. 

Like Chytil, sure...but then you're worse team. 

Just now, Pete said:

What you've left out is the cost of replacing Strome anyway. 

Like Chytil, sure...but then you're worse team. 

No matter what, you're gutting the team. Just to keep Strome you'd need to lose 2-3 players unless you move a significant enough salary like Trouba or Kreider's outright. The Rangers have to navigate next offseason carefully because they can very easily become a worse team.

4 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

Just to keep Strome

Replace with with "Just to have a 2C not named Chytil".

Like people call Strome the cap casualty but that doesn't make any sense (unless Chytil is your answer).

Does it make more sense to let Strome walk or to move Lindgren because you're deep at D?

We're seeing now what happens when you let a player go because you "can't afford them"...are we really going to walk away from players who perform to keep players who will never live up to their deals?

Edited by Pete

There is plenty of room to fit a 5.5 to 6m strome in here. There is also enough room with a deal or two to fit up to 7. Blais is not playing all year. I’m not giving him 2.5m and we don’t need another winger as constructed. I’ll easily just let him walk and I love his play so far. Now that’s 4m free. Georgie is gone and we’re letting kinkaid play there. That’s now 5m, at least. We can’t figure out that 500k? Sorry don’t buy it. If he finds 7.5 good for him he deserves it but strome wants to be here and there is a deal to be maxe

Just now, Pete said:

Replace with with "Just to have a 2C not named Chytil".

Like people call Strome the cap casualty but that doesn't make any sense (unless Chytil is your answer).

Does it make more sense to let Strome walk or to move Lindgren because you're deep at D?

We're seeing now what happens when you let a player go because you "can't afford them"...are we really going to walk away from players who perform to keep players who will never live up to their deals. 

I have no faith in Chytil at center, but I just don't see the team trading all of Chytil, Nemeth, and Lindgren to fit Strome. I would do it because I can't stand Chytil or Nemeth. The Rangers probably don't agree given their constant support of Chytil especially at the center position.

5 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

I have no faith in Chytil at center, but I just don't see the team trading all of Chytil, Nemeth, and Lindgren to fit Strome. I would do it because I can't stand Chytil or Nemeth. The Rangers probably don't agree given their constant support of Chytil especially at the center position.

But you keep saying to fit Strome, it's not about Strome it's about any 2C is going to make what Strome is about to make.

So if we're agreeing that Chytil is a downgrade at 2c, then the point still stands...You got worse. 

8 minutes ago, Valriera said:

There is plenty of room to fit a 5.5 to 6m strome in here. There is also enough room with a deal or two to fit up to 7. Blais is not playing all year. I’m not giving him 2.5m and we don’t need another winger as constructed. I’ll easily just let him walk and I love his play so far. Now that’s 4m free. Georgie is gone and we’re letting kinkaid play there. That’s now 5m, at least. We can’t figure out that 500k? Sorry don’t buy it. If he finds 7.5 good for him he deserves it but strome wants to be here and there is a deal to be maxe

We're letting Blais walk because you refuse to give him a reasonable raise? And who are you replacing him with?

What's this fascination with Kinkaid? He sucks. He isn't good. His stats are literally on par with Georgiev's and worse. They should want someone better than Kinkaid and Georgiev. Those don't cost pennies.

There isn't space without axing players and making the team worse elsewhere.

Just now, Pete said:

But you keep saying to fit Strome, it's not about Strome it's about any 2C is going to make what Strome is about to make.

So if we're agreeing that Chytil is a downgrade at 2c, then the point still stands...You got worse. 

It is about Strome because Strome is literally the topic of this thread. So I'm concerned wirth whether or not they can keep him and replace him internally. I don't care about a replacement right now because they don't have and can't fit one other than Chytil because they're cap fucked.

7 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

We're letting Blais walk because you refuse to give him a reasonable raise? And who are you replacing him with?

What's this fascination with Kinkaid? He sucks. He isn't good. His stats are literally on par with Georgiev's and worse. They should want someone better than Kinkaid and Georgiev. Those don't cost pennies.

There isn't space without axing players and making the team worse elsewhere.

We have Kravtsov who should play next year and right now I have a guy who is kinkaid bad but makes 2.6m or so so I’m just swapping those. Do you have any other examples

2 minutes ago, Valriera said:

We have Kravtsov who should play next year and right now I have a guy who is kinkaid bad but makes 2.6m or so so I’m just swapping those. Do you have any other examples

Do I have other examples of what?

I clearly defined why they can't fit Strome in my previous post. If you want to try and argue with math, go ahead, but math is math.