• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Ryan Strome, Rangers Have No Current Plans to Discuss New Contract

Phil

7 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

It is about Strome because Strome is literally the topic of this thread. So I'm concerned wirth whether or not they can keep him and replace him internally. I don't care about a replacement right now because they don't have and can't fit one other than Chytil because they're cap fucked.

I kinda feel like you're arguing to argue.

My point is, and you don't disagree, is when anyone says "They can't afford Strome" what they really mean is we can't afford a second line Center whose name isn't Chytil.

12 minutes ago, Pete said:

I kinda feel like you're arguing to argue.

My point is, and you don't disagree, is when anyone says "They can't afford Strome" what they really mean is we can't afford a second line Center whose name isn't Chytil.

Right.

Which is why I said I'm not concerned about any replacement for Strome because they're largely impractical.

The only way you get a 2C for Chytil's salary is by trading for a player on an ELC or getting someone on a 50% retention. What teams are parting with 2Cs on ELCs with years remaining? None. And the options for retention are few and costly. I'd love to add Miller or Horvat at 50% but I'm not banking on acquiring either.

There's one replacement for Strome and that's Chytil. They've made it clear for months if not years that this has been their trajectory whether we agree with it or not.

If you let Strome walk, you'll probably have to pay what you would have paid for him to get someone as good, and you may have to give up an asset in a trade to get him to boot.

I have to note, although Strome played pretty well without Panarin last year, he still has that "inflated by playing with Artemi" label, and that has got to impact his UFA value.

As for making some room by getting rid of Georgiev, he's an RFA not under contract for next year, and as of now, it is unlikely that they will give him a qualifying offer of his current base salary of $2.625.  Getting rid of him now doesn't clear any cap space for next year, but not qualifying him and signing a $1 million a year No. 2 will provide a small amount of cap relief for next year.

This is why I suggested bridging Fox at around 7m (very high for a bridge) until the point where Troubas trade clause kicks in. You’d obviously have to sit Fox down and explain how this is being done because we wan5 to keep the team together and win sooner rather than later. Plus, doing this buts you time until the cap goes up and you have a much better idea of Alf, .Kakko, Chytil, and probably other guys that aren’t here yet like Barron and .Schneider. 
  This franchise continues to just spend extra coin in situations that they have leverage. Trouba only wants to be here….okay here is this blank check. Fox only wants to be here and grew up a Rangers fan saying he only ever wanted to play here…..ok here is this blank check at 23 years old. Give Reaves an extension before ever playing a game here, sure! 

Chytil is going to be the number 2c here next year and that’s a major downgrade. You figure Rooney gets replaced by Barron,  Blais gets a lateral contract since his injury,  Georgiev gets replaced with someone like a Wall or vet like Holtby, Greiss,  Jones,  Halak or whoever takes 2m or less. 

Barron at 925k, let’s say Holtby at 2m, Blais at 1.5m is a little under 4.5m out of the 10.6m cap room before even addressing
kakko, Strome, Gauthier. 

Impossible to fit Strome and Kakko with 6m.

7 minutes ago, Keirik said:

This is why I suggested bridging Fox at around 7m (very high for a bridge) until the point where Troubas trade clause kicks in. You’d obviously have to sit Fox down and explain how this is being done because we wan5 to keep the team together and win sooner rather than later. Plus, doing this buts you time until the cap goes up and you have a much better idea of Alf, .Kakko, Chytil, and probably other guys that aren’t here yet like Barron and .Schneider. 
  This franchise continues to just spend extra coin in situations that they have leverage. Trouba only wants to be here….okay here is this blank check. Fox only wants to be here and grew up a Rangers fan saying he only ever wanted to play here…..ok here is this blank check at 23 years old. Give Reaves an extension before ever playing a game here, sure! 

Chytil is going to be the number 2c here next year and that’s a major downgrade. You figure Rooney gets replaced by Barron,  Blais gets a lateral contract since his injury,  Georgiev gets replaced with someone like a Wall or vet like Holtby, Greiss,  Jones,  Halak or whoever takes 2m or less. 

Barron at 925k, let’s say Holtby at 2m, Blais at 1.5m is a little under 4.5m out of the 10.6m cap room before even addressing
kakko, Strome, Gauthier. 

now imagine if Kravtsov was on the team lighting up the scoreboard... you suddenly see the reality of that situation and why they didn't want him on the team. 

2 hours ago, Drew a Penalty said:

Right.

Which is why I said I'm not concerned about any replacement for Strome because they're largely impractical.

The only way you get a 2C for Chytil's salary is by trading for a player on an ELC or getting someone on a 50% retention. What teams are parting with 2Cs on ELCs with years remaining? None. And the options for retention are few and costly. I'd love to add Miller or Horvat at 50% but I'm not banking on acquiring either.

There's one replacement for Strome and that's Chytil. They've made it clear for months if not years that this has been their trajectory whether we agree with it or not.

And they're gonna be worse for it, and waste more years of Panarin and Zib. 

2 hours ago, Keirik said:

kakko, Strome, Gauthier. 

Backup at 1m.

Kakko at 2.5

Move Chytil and it's 6m in cap space 

5 hours ago, Drew a Penalty said:

No, they don't. The Rangers have $10.6M this coming offseason with Kakko, Blais, and Georgiev set to be RFAs. Strome and Rooney are UFAs.

Blais and Kakko likely get bridges which will take up a total of $5-6M assuming they both get AAVs in the $2.5-3M range. Let's say they let Georgiev go, any decent backup is getting paid $1.5-2.25M. That's already $6.5-8.25M of a possible $10.6M.

Rooney I'd want to re-sign but that's probably going to take $1.5-2M. Now they're up to $8-10.25M. 

That's almost the entirety of their cap space right there. There's no practical way to fit Strome even with a $1M raise unless you're also shipping out Chytil and Nemeth and replacing them with near minimum salary players. That still doesn't give you enough space if they end up closer to that previously mentioned $10.25M range.

Ryan Reaves isn't the difference between keeping Strome or not. The $800k or so you'd be paying a replacement player instead still wouldn't be enough.

The issue is that the Rangers paid Trouba $2-3M more than he's worth. That would actually make a difference here. Unless the cap raises significantly enough, the Rangers would have to sacrifice 2-3 players to make room to keep Strome and still have breathing room. It's not more of "we need to get tougher" mantra. It's a bad move they made biting them in the ass.

There's also the unneeded 2.5 mill Nemeth contract. The unneeded 3.6  Goodrow contract.. the unneeded Reaves contract 

I think this talk about the Rangers seeing Chytil as a center is really just them hoping he gets it, so they can slide him up to 2 C, because they ass fucked them selves by adding these "harder to play against " players, that IMO, aren't making one bit of difference in the outcome of games. 

Keep in mind they ARE also rolling with a full roster. This year they usually have 3 scratches. The last few seasons they typically carried the minimum or maybe 1 extra skater. Going back to that can save another 2 mill. Dropping Georgiev and going with Kinkaid can save a mill+. 

There's nothing out there to bring in that will be comparable to Strome for less money than they should be paying Strome.. 

5 hours ago, Drew a Penalty said:

We're letting Blais walk because you refuse to give him a reasonable raise? And who are you replacing him with?

What's this fascination with Kinkaid? He sucks. He isn't good. His stats are literally on par with Georgiev's and worse. They should want someone better than Kinkaid and Georgiev. Those don't cost pennies.

There isn't space without axing players and making the team worse elsewhere.

Umm, but you're letting your 2 C (who has great chemistry with your offensive superstar) walk because you don't want to give him a reasonable raise?  I love Blais, but if it comes down to Strome or Blais, you have to pick Strome. Blais you can replace from within.  Strome you can't even replace from outside the organization (for the same price or less). 

Kinkaids stats are on par with Georgiev? All the more reason to get rid of the 2.5, and only spend 850k for a player who shouldn't be seeing much icetime anyway.... An upgrade on the backup goalie is a luxury not really a necessity,  if it has to do with making room for the 2C. 

• Like 1