• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Pursuing 'Middle-Six Forward' Amid Hot Start

josh

Starting a short list of guys that make sense for us for one reason or another. Feel free to add. 

JT Miller one year remaining next year at 5.25. Good all around player that still puts up points and is also is good from the dot.

Yanni Gourde. 5.16m until end of 24/25 season. Obvious Strome long term replacement.  Will turn 30 in a few weeks but is a proven playoff guy, has cups, still producing, and a reasonable replacement at 2c. Probably would take a couple of prospects to pry him away but doable on a team not really ready to compete.

Dylan Strome. Young at 24, disgruntled rfa at the end of the year that can be bridged (currently at 3m). Has a 51 point season in 58 games in the past but tapered off last two seasons. Bonus points is we keep a Strome no matter what.

Reilly Smith.  UFA at end of the year. Obvious Gallant connection and Vegas needs to move money to get Eichel under the cap. RW rental that would fit in well and no long term cap implications. 

• TroCheckmark 1

1 hour ago, Keirik said:

Starting a short list of guys that make sense for us for one reason or another. Feel free to add. 

JT Miller one year remaining next year at 5.25. Good all around player that still puts up points and is also is good from the dot.

Yanni Gourde. 5.16m until end of 24/25 season. Obvious Strome long term replacement.  Will turn 30 in a few weeks but is a proven playoff guy, has cups, still producing, and a reasonable replacement at 2c. Probably would take a couple of prospects to pry him away but doable on a team not really ready to compete.

Dylan Strome. Young at 24, disgruntled rfa at the end of the year that can be bridged (currently at 3m). Has a 51 point season in 58 games in the past but tapered off last two seasons. Bonus points is we keep a Strome no matter what.

Reilly Smith.  UFA at end of the year. Obvious Gallant connection and Vegas needs to move money to get Eichel under the cap. RW rental that would fit in well and no long term cap implications. 

depends are we adding to push someone out of the top 6 or to replace Blais? Austin Watson would be a Blais replacement. -- Miller, Gourde would be Strome replacements. 

5 hours ago, Sod16 said:

If we don't trade a forward currently on the roster for this "middle six forward," which one of our current forwards would sit after the trade?

Hunt/Gauthier are playing top 6.

Reaves is playing every game.

8 hours ago, Sod16 said:

If we don't trade a forward currently on the roster for this "middle six forward," which one of our current forwards would sit after the trade?

You don't want to bench Hunt because he's playing well. You don't want to bench Gauthier because he's playing well. You don't want to bench Reaves because he's playing well. There's no other obvious candidate.

Sounds like a good problem to have to figure out.

• Applause 1

13 minutes ago, G1000 said:

You don't want to bench Hunt because he's playing well. You don't want to bench Gauthier because he's playing well. You don't want to bench Reaves because he's playing well. There's no other obvious candidate.

Sounds like a good problem to have to figure out.

None of those three players have a reputation for sustained performance. If you're trading for a player who does, then it's not a hard choice.

Odd that they'd be looking for a middle 6 forward when top line RW is the big hole. 

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

None of those three players have a reputation for sustained performance. If you're trading for a player who does, then it's not a hard choice.

Odd that they'd be looking for a middle 6 forward when top line RW is the big hole. 

Agreed, and they have tons of room to fit anyone they want there this year. I'd be looking at UFA RWs. Pavelski, Smith, Radulov, maybe Rakell. Everyone will want Kessel, but I'd rather exhaust all my options on the others first. I think Pavelski would be perfect. Checks every box. Leader, playoff scorer, playoff experience, fast, great at face-offs (so he can swap in/out on draws as needed), shoots right.

• TroCheckmark 1

17 minutes ago, Phil said:

Agreed, and they have tons of room to fit anyone they want there this year. I'd be looking at UFA RWs. Pavelski, Smith, Radulov, maybe Rakell. Everyone will want Kessel, but I'd rather exhaust all my options on the others first. I think Pavelski would be perfect. Checks every box. Leader, playoff scorer, playoff experience, fast, great at face-offs (so he can swap in/out on draws as needed), shoots right.

It's amusing how many of our problems can be solved if the Stars do not compete well this year. Pavelski, Radulov, and Holtby would all be reasonable pieces for us to go after for a playoff run.

Tarasenko - 

• Already asked for a trade and is not part of their long term future
  • Although they are sitting in 2nd in their Division, the Aves and Stars are hot on their tail with games in hand
  • Blues are 3-5-2 in their last ten, another month like this they'll find themselves out of the playoff picture

Let's look to history.  July 1, 2015...

To Pitt:                                                             To Tor:

Phil Kessel (15% retained)                              Kasperi Kapanen
Time Erixon                                                     Scott Harrington
Tyler Biggs                                                      Nick Spaling
2016 2nd                                                         Conditional 2016 1st and a 2016 3rd

Potential trade for Tarasenko....

To NYR:                                                          To STL:

Tarasenko (50% retained)                             Kravtsov
                                                                        Jones or Lundkvist
                                                                        Conditional 1st

Edited by Long live the King

On 11/30/2021 at 12:40 AM, Keirik said:

I almost started a Trade Acquisitions Interactive Power Rankings thread.

Top 6

Miller - checks all the boxes

Horvat - with Canucks rumors intensifying. We heard his name over the summer and didnt believe it. Now there are talks of changes up there.

Toews - dream acquisition. His play has picked up and we are quickly forgetting the controversy from Chicago.

Smith - if its cheap to acquire, and no extension

Neiderreiter - a guy I loved coming up. Could be a good middle-6 add. Last year of deal with Carolina and wont be re-signed.

Depth

Haula - another season left at 2.375, name seems to be circulating

Dzingel - cheap, 1year deal in Arizona.

Roussel - cheap Blais replacement

Beagle - faceoff, 4th liner, kills penalties

Defense

Giordano - strictly a rental

Goaltending

Halak - you mentioned him

Holtby - think Phil mentioned him?

Edited by josh
  • Applause 2

I think @Keirik mentioned Holtby and Halak, but I would 100% go for either. Both have the playoff track record and despite Halak's poor play this season, I think you can comfortably rely on either in a way you simply cannot with Georgiev.

Right now, though, I prefer Holtby.

Giordano would be great but feels like he's not going to be available.

All the others, yup. I'd be in hard on Horvat most, I think.

• Thanks 1