• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Pursuing 'Middle-Six Forward' Amid Hot Start

josh

Rangers Most Likely to Trade for a Defenseman?

Oooooorrrrr.....

https://www.tsn.ca/new-york-rangers-nhl-trade-1.1723266

Rangers pursuing 'middle-six forward' amid hot start

"The Rangers have been in the market for a forward for quite some time. And I think it’s been amplified by the fact they lost Sammy Blais for the remainder of the season earlier this week," Dreger explained on Insider Trading Thursday. "So, Chris Drury, the general manager for the New York Rangers, is looking for a middle-six forward, which isn’t a term we use often in hockey. That can be a third-line player or someone who can punch into the top six.

• Phil changed the title to Rangers Pursuing 'Middle-Six Forward' Amid Hot Start

This makes a ton of sense. They're getting by, but Blais' injury has exacerbated an already dire right-wing depth problem.

With Stone back in the lineup, I still say this is Reilly Smith. They can basically offer Gauthier and a mid-round pick.

Calle Jarnkrok, Kraken

Long a reliable two-way center in Nashville who scored 10 to 16 goals for six straight seasons, Jarnkrok has been snakebit in Seattle. No points in 11 games but his underlying numbers are among the best on the Kraken — 59 percent expected-goals share, 68.9 percent high-danger chance share. He’s on an expiring deal worth $2 million this season.

Chris Tierney, Senators

Another two-way center who gets more attention for keeping pucks away from his own net than putting them in the other one, but he’s the sort of player Gallant loves. He’s got five goals already this season for the struggling Sens, with three of those on the power play. Can’t see him cracking PP1 on this Rangers team, but the versatility is something GM and coach would welcome.

Nino Niederreiter, Hurricanes

A change of scenery has been a motivator in the past for Niederreiter, who has five 20-goal seasons on his resume. The Canes shedding his $5.25 million cap hit gets them out of LTIR and into a scenario where they could add salary down the line, so the cost should not be prohibitive.

And Niederreiter can play with some third-line bite while providing top-six level scoring.

Marcus Johansson, Kraken

He’s most likely not the 20-goal, 50-point player he was with the Capitals several years back, but for a cheap add, Johansson is pretty versatile. He’s on an expiring $1.5 million deal, so he’d barely make a dent in the Rangers cap space, and he could cover some spots in the top nine as long as he’s healthy. That’s been a big caveat for Johansson the past few seasons, including this one, in which he already missed a month with a lower-body injury.

Phil Kessel, Coyotes

Phil the Thrill on Broadway? Come on now, we want to see that!

Whether Drury wants to see it is another story. Kessel is likely not long for the sinking Coyotes ship and is definitely the most attractive trade piece among their expiring contracts, which are plentiful. It’s a $6.8 million cap hit, so that takes a bite, but to add yet another draft pick or two Arizona would surely retain some salary.

Dylan Strome, Hawks

Ryan’s younger brother is having a lost season in Chicago, having been a healthy scratch under Jeremy Colliton and now, with interim coach Derek King, back in the lineup but under 11 minutes a night. It’s a curious situation for a kid who scored 20 goals three seasons ago as a 21-year-old.

Artturi Lehkonen, Canadiens

Montreal is in rough shape: a bad team with a GM who might be on his way out and is already committed over next season’s projected $82.5 million cap. It’s ugly.

Lehkonen is a useful player, though, and an RFA next season who might have to be moved out of necessity at some point. Why not now? If the Rangers see the 26-year-old wing as a good piece in the middle six — he scored 18 goals as a rookie in 2016-17 but hasn’t scored one yet this season — they could find room for him on a short-term deal going forward.

https://theathletic.com/2965922/2021/11/19/rangers-trade-targets-eight-forwards-who-could-fill-their-middle-six-need-from-calle-jarnkrok-to-phil-kessel/?source=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

1 hour ago, Phil said:

This makes a ton of sense. They're getting by, but Blais' injury has exacerbated an already dire right-wing depth problem.

With Stone back in the lineup, I still say this is Reilly Smith. They can basically offer Gauthier and a mid-round pick.

Doesn't make sense to me to offer Gauthier considering that's literally the position where we have no depth. Offer a young dman. We have a million to spare. 

4 minutes ago, josh said:

Probably wont cost as much as a top D prospect.

Doesn't have to be a top prospect. I mean is Hunter Skinner someone we're really holding out hope for? Some of these guys have to go, it feels like a perfect time to nab someone. 

I like the idea of a 2nd liner who can play down, rather than the other way around. 

IMO Rangers weren't planning to have even Dryden Hunt in the lineup on a nightly basis so that fact that he was even before Blais injury speaks to their desperation.

Edited by ThirtyONE
  • Like 1

I'm judging him for the player he is. Even his last few seasons in Pittsburgh werent great. He's been worse in Arizona.

He's getting the offensive ice time and the PP time. If he's still not producing, why would you try him? I dont even think he can be called a one-dimensional player any more.

48 minutes ago, josh said:

I'm judging him for the player he is. Even his last few seasons in Pittsburgh werent great. He's been worse in Arizona.

He's getting the offensive ice time and the PP time. If he's still not producing, why would you try him? I dont even think he can be called a one-dimensional player any more.

Because that team is horrible.  Nobody is scoring and they are already tanking. They are playing Andrew Ladd...... That's the situation there.. I check in on Keller too, even though he's more of the same. 

The Rangers need a power forward.  There isn't going to be one available. Smith seems like the closest thing to one. If they can't get him I think Kessel fills a need. They need trigger men. Shoot first mentality. 

Maybe Kadri, if they want that 3rd line center? 

I also think Max Domi is a good fit. 

"I don't think a football is a very good Christmas present."

1 hour ago, ThirtyONE said:

Doesn't make sense to me to offer Gauthier considering that's literally the position where we have no depth. Offer a young dman. We have a million to spare. 

That's probably entirely correct. And I agree completely on the surplus of D prospects.

I dont know if Kessel is a good fit or not but I would love to have him on this team. The man single handedly defies physics and maybe butterball #1 can teach Butterball #2 how to play hockey in the NHL while being a fat slob. I know you know who I am talking about. 

• LOL 4

2 minutes ago, siddious said:

I dont know if Kessel is a good fit or not but I would love to have him on this team. The man single handedly defies physics and maybe butterball #1 can teach Butterball #2 how to play hockey in the NHL while being a fat slob. I know you know who I am talking about. 

Kessel is that 300lb guy that shows up at every pick up game who somehow manages to skate just barely well enough to get in position for his lethal wrist shot

11 minutes ago, Valriera said:

Kessel is that 300lb guy that shows up at every pick up game who somehow manages to skate just barely well enough to get in position for his lethal wrist shot

Yepp. I would out skate and out hustle those guys and they would always out score me. Never made sense to me lol (edit: it does now, I suck)

10 minutes ago, Phil said:

"The key to this game is hot dogs, Alexis. HOT DOGS! Am I wrong? Look at me. I'm a peak physical specemin and I eat thirty of these a week!"

I am thinking a 30% production improvement just from this one dietary change

1 minute ago, leetchy2 said:

Why not just recall you know who from the KHL?

I dont think he wants to play for the rangers