• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Dune

The Dude

I haven't watched the whole thing yet (lately my attentions pan for movies is very lacking),  but so far I'm digging it. 

Damn good cast, great effects,  great look, but I feel like I'm supposed to know more about these characters than I do.  

I enjoyed the movie from the 80s as a kid, and this is nothing like I remembered that shit.

And what's with this director, loving loud bassy noises as part of his soundtrack.  It got annoying to me in the Bladerunner remake, and it's noticeable in this one.

What's everyone's thoughts?

Edited by The Dude

• Phil changed the title to Dune

As a huge Dune, I loved the movie. It was great seeing something as monumental as Dune was, get its due on the big screen. It was two and a half hours, but seemed like an hour and a half. Great cinematography, music (although I do agree with Dude on the loud bass) and sound design. I'm sure it will be nominated for all three of those. I also thought the casting was really good too. I'm excited to see where it goes. I read the six Frank Herbert Dune novels when I was in Junior High, and they were almost life changing. Also, the old Dune PC games were some of the first computer games I played back in the early 90's. A friend and I would pull all nighters playing them. lol Good memories!

What the crap is this?  I'm an hour and 17 mins into this and they have done nothing but talk.  It's a bunch of alien political crap or something?  I could be watching CNN for this.  I have no idea what it's supposed to be about or what any back story is and I've never seen the original but I'm so bored.  Maybe I just can't watch science fiction anymore.  I end up turning so much stuff off and I used to watch everything.  I hate all the new comic book movies and I like Star Wars cuz I already know who the people are.  I don't know who these dune people are, but they're boring. 

Holograms? Shields. They establish that those are a thing within the first half hour. It’s almost like a science fiction world is gonna have technology that’s different from ours and other sci-fi worlds.

The movie is fantastic. It’s not some summer blockbuster filled with nonstop action. It’s actually well-paced, shot beautifully and is one of Zimmer’s best scores in years. I haven’t seen the original, the series or read the books and most of the information was digestible. They either give you visual answers or flat out give exposition through dialogue. 

Some people need constant pew pews and boom booms I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

• Cheers 1
  • Applause 1

18 minutes ago, Valriera said:

The score is experimental audio sensory music, made to simulate actual effect on screen when, say, sand worms rise you feel like you’re standing on the sand. It’s incredible effect in theater

I'm a huge fan of Hans Zimmer and I think this is some of his best work in years. He went bananas for Dune and composed tons of extra music. There are already three albums out including the score and conceptual pieces/suites for various themes.

On 10/29/2021 at 11:15 AM, Drew a Penalty said:

Holograms? Shields. They establish that those are a thing within the first half hour. It’s almost like a science fiction world is gonna have technology that’s different from ours and other sci-fi worlds.

The movie is fantastic. It’s not some summer blockbuster filled with nonstop action. It’s actually well-paced, shot beautifully and is one of Zimmer’s best scores in years. I haven’t seen the original, the series or read the books and most of the information was digestible. They either give you visual answers or flat out give exposition through dialogue. 

Preach!!

On 10/29/2021 at 11:15 AM, Drew a Penalty said:

Marvels rotted peoples brains lol. “I need explosions and quips every minute!!”

• LOL 1
  • Applause 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2021 at 1:05 AM, Patrick Bateman said:

Marvels rotted peoples brains lol. “I need explosions and quips every minute!!”

this movie makes everything marvel does look like tokenized representational circle jerks of a friday meeting. I find it hard to watch any of them after dune, which was outrageously good and uncompromising in its pursuit of what it was doing, for better and for worse

• VINNY! 2

1 hour ago, Valriera said:

this movie makes everything marvel does look like tokenized representational circle jerks of a friday meeting. I find it hard to watch any of them after dune, which was outrageously good and uncompromising in its pursuit of what it was doing, for better and for worse

GIF by IMDb

Yeah, I disagree with that.

Enjoying Dune doesn't preclude you from enjoying MCU movies and vice versa. I enjoy both and I expect both to provide me with entirely different experiences. MCU films are easy to digest popcorn flicks which can't really be compared to a denser plodding sci-fi epic like Dune. That's not an issue of quality of film, it's an issue of expectations. There are some really high quality MCU films, but they're limited in their artistry because they have a certain formula to follow. A Dune-like Marvel movie probably wouldn't work. Eternals got flack for not having the action set pieces of other Marvel films in addition to being hampered by a slow and long story. 

• Like 1