• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Ryan Strome: What Now?

shestYORKin

Eichel’s medicals released to interested teams? wild guess: neck still wrecked, no surgery date, and blackout drunk ransom remains. cool. Pettersson still unsigned? one can dream. Hertl, Kuznetsov, please no. let’s face it, summer’s gone and Ryan Strome is the Rangers 2C. 

fwiw Drury no doubt felt like he went shopping from a position of strength. Strome has the locker room and is capable of 70pts. pulling the trigger would have to have meant a clear upgrade but that short list obviously hasn’t panned out. 

so what now? sure, Mika first but then what?

lock him up or play chicken with the deadline? he’s gonna want a Kreider deal at minimum. and are you ready for a Stromer NMC? brace yourself. 

idk man. what say you? 

• Like 1

If he puts up numbers, why not keep him?

And if he doesn't put up big numbers but wants a big contract, let him walk in the summer. 

I'd rather see what Strome can do than worry about getting a 2nd round & a prospect we will never see play. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 2

6 minutes ago, josh said:

And if he doesn't put up big numbers but wants a big contract, let him walk in the summer. 

I'd rather see what Strome can do than worry about getting a 2nd round & a prospect we will never see play. 

This.

He does everything a 2nd line center should do. Why not sign him? Especially if this team is "ready to compete" which I think its about to be.

People have been waiting for this guy to fail since he got here. All he's done is succeed in whatever role he was given, maybe aside from PK which he didn't really fail in, he just got swapped out.

He can play in NY, he can play with elite players, he can play down the lineup, he doesn't miss games. The complaints about him amount to a list of reasons why he's a 2C and not a 1C, but if he didn't have those flaws he'd be making $9 and not potentially ~$6.

How many guys are as good in the room as he is, came to NY and got better, can play any role you want, and probably aren't going to rake you in a contract negotiation because he loves it here and wants to play here? The only other guy I can think of that's close is being touted for C, it's Kreider. Trouba wanted top dollar and so does Zib.

It's a no brainer to sign this guy, just don't overpay or get stupid with the trade protection. If he wants an NMC, shave $1.5 off the AAV.

• Like 3
  • Applause 3

12 minutes ago, josh said:

This. Plus, we've got two years now that prove he plays exceptionally well with Panarin (don't fuck with happy), not to mention the smaller sample size in which his production didn't plummet when Panarin had to go back to Russia to deal with that bullshit. Fact is, he's a good player. Good on the ice, good in the room, good with the teams Star player. Why are we bending over backwards to push him out the door?

The fact Rangers Twitter badly wants to trade him because blue bar good red bar bad, or whatever, makes me want to keep him anyway. If only to spite them.

Any deal for him and Zibanejad will  maybe go bad eventually but judging deals by what we think might maybe possibly happened  five, six, or seven years from now instead of over the next one, two, or three seasons is a waste of time.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, josh said:

ready to give 7.5 AAV for 6yrs with a NMC? assuming he doesn’t fall off, where do you let him walk? 8?

and how many forwards do we want sitting heavy on cap space at 33+yrs old? 

the problem is we don’t have the pipeline for leverage. we don’t even know if Chytil can make it at 3C let alone 2C and Barron is still tuning up. 

17 minutes ago, shestYORKin said:

ready to give 7.5 AAV for 6yrs with a NMC? assuming he doesn’t fall off, where do you let him walk? 8?

and how many forwards do we want sitting heavy on cap space at 33+yrs old? 

the problem is we don’t have the pipeline for leverage. we don’t even know if Chytil can make it at 3C let alone 2C and Barron is still tuning up. 

Where are these numbers coming from? We know very little about what his ask is, or what the team is willing to do.

20 minutes ago, Pete said:

People have been waiting for this guy to fail since he got here. All he's done is succeed in whatever role he was given, maybe aside from PK which he didn't really fail in, he just got swapped out.

I don’t know anyone who wants Strome to fail but to be fair I think most fans who want Strome traded would ironically be thrilled with a replacement coming with his same production (maybe minus the missed empty nets). 

my concern is more about the cap getting eaten alive by unmovable players well into their 30’s. 

4 minutes ago, shestYORKin said:

I don’t know anyone who wants Strome to fail but to be fair I think most fans who want Strome traded would ironically be thrilled with a replacement coming with his same production (maybe minus the missed empty nets). 

my concern is more about the cap getting eaten alive by unmovable players well into their 30’s. 

We're one of the youngest teams in the league, and 33 isn't old. 

11 minutes ago, G1000 said:

RNH set the market for guys like him. Which for us is rather fortunate. 

I'm fine if he stays on a 5x5 or something. 

I'd quite literally give him the RNH deal if it means keeping his average down. He'll be with Panarin for at least half that term and will still be at a moveable hit when you need to move him.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Phil said:

Where are these numbers coming from? We know very little about what his ask is, or what the team is willing to do.

pure podcast speculation, but multiple to be fair. point being open market value for a C with his trajectory &reputation won’t be cheap. this is actually just the opposite of hating on Strome. 

RNH deal was dumbfounding. any team would be thrilled for that. 

I mean, I guess, but not every player takes full market value. I agree the RNH extension isn't a benchmark (more like a floor), but that's not to say the high-end is a lock either.

I would have little problem giving him something like $6 million over five years. I would do everything I could to line him up to ride out the remainder of Panarin's deal.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, shestYORKin said:

pure podcast speculation, but multiple to be fair. point being open market value for a C with his trajectory &reputation won’t be cheap. this is actually just the opposite of hating on Strome. 

RNH deal was dumbfounding. any team would be thrilled for that. 

Then they can get a third rd pick for him in June, if he sucks, and you seem to presume.

Right now, if it's sign or lose, it's obviously sign. And he's got another year to add on to that.

Maybe the question should be to extend now (shorter, cheaper?) or extend in June after he puts up another Eichel & Petterson comparable season.

3 minutes ago, josh said:

if he sucks, and you seem to presume.

I missed that part completely.

maybe a better question would be why would Strome, a 2C with little to no depth behind him, on the verge of the open market, take the same or less than a much more expendable Kreider? different regimes in the FO, but still. 

3 minutes ago, shestYORKin said:

I missed that part completely.

maybe a better question would be why would Strome, a 2C with little to no depth behind him, on the verge of the open market, take the same or less than a much more expendable Kreider? different regimes in the FO, but still. 

Different wants, different market. Strome, even in spite of all he's done here, is probably not even a top 5 FA center in the next market. The cap will barely move. Lots working against him here in the free agency market. 

46 minutes ago, shestYORKin said:

Meant to quote this. My bad

"As you presume [in this scenario]"

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Keirik said:

He’s going to be the captain. You heard it here first.

I've said it for awhile 

But too many big names. And, as Phil mentioned, large group of fans don't like him.

Edited by josh

1 minute ago, josh said:

I've said it for awhile 

But too many big names. And, as Phil mentioned, large group of fans don't like him.

*on Twitter.

Not sure that matters all that much if they're strongly considering him for the role. A lack of a long-term contract, to me, is way more of a problem.

18 minutes ago, G1000 said:

Different wants, different market. Strome, even in spite of all he's done here, is probably not even a top 5 FA center in the next market. The cap will barely move. Lots working against him here in the free agency market. 

yeah a bit early but we’ll see

1 minute ago, shestYORKin said:

yeah a bit early but we’ll see

Yeah, no way to tell right this moment, but you can look at last years UFA market and how tamped down it was, know that little will change, and think there's some value in thinking you'd rather not get into the trenches as anything but the top option.

19 minutes ago, Phil said:

*on Twitter.

Not sure that matters all that much if they're strongly considering him for the role. A lack of a long-term contract, to me, is way more of a problem.

It's elsewhere. Capfriendly, probably hf, ny post, the three people I talk to, facebook,  etc

In NYC, with all the big names, not sure management wants Gar to hand the cup to Ryan fucking Strome.