• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Ryan Strome: What Now?

shestYORKin

With all of the talk we have had about Strome over the past year, I have yet to hear a realistic suggestion as to how we are going to get an alternative 2d center who will produce as well as Strome but rate a smaller cap hit.

1 hour ago, Sod16 said:

With all of the talk we have had about Strome over the past year, I have yet to hear a realistic suggestion as to how we are going to get an alternative 2d center who will produce as well as Strome but rate a smaller cap hit.

Because there is none. Sign him now while he’s mid interview saying he wants to be a Ranger for 6.5x5 and see how much he agrees. We resurrected his career so let him reciprocate the favor and have joy in rangerland.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sod16 said:

6 hours ago, Keirik said:

Because there is none. Sign him now while he’s mid interview saying he wants to be a Ranger for 6.5x5 and see how much he agrees. We resurrected his career so let him reciprocate the favor and have joy in rangerland.

This. Apparently 70-point second-line centers grow on trees.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Applause 1

I just think you keep Strome where he is and not worry about it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. He's fit on this team like a glove and has been playing the best hockey of his career, whether he's been put with the likes of Panarin or not. This has just been a really good fit for him here. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phil said:

This. Apparently 70-point second-line centers grow on trees.

But would he be a 70 point center if he wasn’t playing with Panarin?  
Plus, he’s playing with Panarin who’s not a second line player. We have two first lines which makes Strome a first line 70 point center. 
we have two very soft top centers and many fans think that once we make the playoffs and push comes to shove, these two centers will buckle. Unless they show us otherwise, point stands 

Edited by CCCP

3 minutes ago, CCCP said:

Plus, he’s playing with Panarin who’s not a second line player. We have two first lines which makes Strome a first line 70 point center. 
we have two very soft top centers and many fans think that once we make the playoffs and push comes to shove, these two centers will buckle. Unless they show us otherwise, point stands 

I get where people come from with this argument but the reality is that, he is playing with Panarin and will continue to play with Panarin while he's here. 

Unless you can tell me for sure that, instead of a 70 point center with Panarin we will have a 90+ point center with him, I don't think its worth spending a bunch on an upgrade.

I do hope that Chytil grows into the cheaper player capable of doing the same thing as Strome does on that line. And I think he definitely can. But what we have is working. So why spend assets to change it and bring in an unknown? 

Nylander was a 90 point center with Jagr. Then we got Gomez who was a 'for sure upgrade' there and look what happened. I know not a great example but still.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

5 minutes ago, CCCP said:

But he is playing with Panarin. And Panarin is a Ranger until at least 2026. If that perception continues, good, he's cheaper for us. If someone wants to take the chance that he's what he is without Panarin, also good. He gets paid. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CCCP said:

I have no idea, and I don't care. He's playing with Panarin.

I get the "get tougher/bigger argument, but it's a useless one without an actual target. Who are you actually replacing Strome with at a comparable price who brings these aspects?

Just now, Phil said:

I get the "get tougher/bigger argument, but it's a useless one without an actual target. Who are you actually replacing Strome with at a comparable price who brings these aspects?

And who meshes well with Panarin, if we can even find that out beforehand? (spoiler: we can't)

Again, don't fuck with happy.

You make massive changes when you have to, because the player completely prices themselves out of the market/off the team, or they are no longer effective. Neither, to this point, is true of Strome.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Phil said:

We dont know who might be available other than Eichel. We’re not on the inside. 

1 minute ago, G1000 said:

We have to be the only team in the NHL that looks at our top 2 centers - a point/game guy and a 70 point guy, both in the top 15 in center scoring since becoming our 1-2 punch, both meshing well with linemates - and thinking "yeah let's break that". 

Fan base*

Thankfully Drury realized folks like Danault weren't worth overspending on. 

10 minutes ago, Phil said:

Again, don't fuck with happy.

You make massive changes when you have to, because the player completely prices themselves out of the market/off the team, or they are no longer effective. Neither, to this point, is true of Strome.

I don’t always agree with this Phil-osophy. Upgrades are often needed. Or change of style

48 minutes ago, CCCP said:

We dont know who might be available other than Eichel. We’re not on the inside. 

I'm not asking you to have an inside track, I'm asking you to give us anyone to even talk about.

44 minutes ago, CCCP said:

I don’t always agree with this Phil-osophy. Upgrades are often needed. Or change of style

OK, but you're not giving us an upgrade to even talk about. You're just saying "get someone who is bigger and plays tougher."

Fine. But who is that?

35 minutes ago, Pete said:

So who's the upgrade? Identify the player. 

Horvat, to me, made plenty of sense. Leadership, playing style, likely wouldn't have been a tremendous downgrade, but he's not available (as far as we know), and the rumor/report that that's who they were looking at was completely shot down by Friedman.

11 minutes ago, Phil said:

Horvat, to me, made plenty of sense. Leadership, playing style, likely wouldn't have been a tremendous downgrade, but he's not available (as far as we know), and the rumor/report that that's who they were looking at was completely shot down by Friedman.

I don't know if we're done barking up that tree either. With the rumored deals for Hughes and Pettersson, the Canucks have somehow entered a cap crunch with some serious depth issues on D that we can solve.

Doubt they'd off Horvat to fix them, but he's at least a considered piece.