• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2020-21 | Semis | (C3) Tampa Bay Lightning vs. (E4) New York Islanders

Phil

Who wins?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Lightning in 4
    • Lightning in 5
    • Lightning in 6
    • Lightning in 7
    • Isles in 4
    • Isles in 5
    • Isles in 6
    • Isles in 7

Remember when Kreider came in and had a sick playoff and was in the AHL the next year?

Caulfield has a boatload of skill, but it's been like 20 games.

I mean sure, but he's about to win Cup and we're still talking about how Kakko is improving. Meanwhile, Caufield is a national television draw in like 20 games.

It just sucks, is the point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean sure, but he's about to win Cup and we're still talking about how Kakko is improving. Meanwhile, Caufield is a national television draw in like 20 games.

It just sucks, is the point.

He's about to play for the Cup.*

I don't really care who a national TV draw is, we have Panarin, Zib, Fox. I feel pretty confident in saying the only people who would prefer to watch The Habs to the Rangers are Habs fans.

He's about to play for the Cup.*

I don't really care who a national TV draw is, we have Panarin, Zib, Fox. I feel pretty confident in saying the only people who would prefer to watch The Habs to the Rangers are Habs fans.

True -- Isles gonna win the Cup. You right.

But you're missing the point, still. It's about how nearly 200 games into his career we're still selling marginal improvement while other youngsters (same draft) are a house on fire. Pointing to Panarin, Zibanejad, and Fox doesn't distract from this point. It only helps to mitigate the totality of the loss.

But you're missing the point, still. It's about how nearly 200 games into his career we're still selling marginal improvement while other youngsters (same draft) are a house on fire. Pointing to Panarin, Zibanejad, and Fox doesn't distract from this point. It only helps to mitigate the totality of the loss.

114 games in 2 seasons disrupted by COVID and moving across the world.

Tell me more about how patient NYR fans are...?

Because he's so unique in that regard? You know who else faced similar circumstances? Everyone else.

Kakko (9 goals, 17 points in 48 games) put up significantly fewer points than rookies all over the league — all of whom didn't have a camp, either, some of whom played for very young rebuilding teams, too. Josh Norris had 35 points in 56. Yegor Sharangovich had 30 in 54. Stutzle had 29 in 53. Oliver Wahlstrom had 21 in 44.

He was billed as "near complete," and the only thing he's nearly completed is disappointing.

I also never said a thing about patience, nor does this have much to do at all with it. It is very much a what have you done for me lately comment cast in the long shadow of an impressive showing from a player taken in his draft class who was the third-best talent available.

Say whatever you will about fans not being patient but high draft picks come with high expectations, and they don't get miles of rope to find their way without the caveat of being called disappointing. The Rangers aren't unique in this regard, either. Pavel Zacha suffered a similar fate. So did Lawson Crouse, Jesse Puljujarvi, Nolan Patrick, and others.

114 games in 2 seasons disrupted by COVID and moving across the world.

Tell me more about how patient NYR fans are...?

Blame the hypemobile for overrating Kakko's readiness. Not Rangers fans. We've got plenty of prospects who Rangers fans are and were waiting patiently for, because we knew they'd need a few years. Kakko was placed into a different bucket by everyone - not just Rangers fans.

Blame the hypemobile for overrating Kakko's readiness. Not Rangers fans. We've got plenty of prospects who Rangers fans are and were waiting patiently for, because we knew they'd need a few years. Kakko was placed into a different bucket by everyone - not just Rangers fans.

Yup -- same issue with Andersson. The second you call an 18-year-old "NHL ready," or "complete," you are playing a dangerous game, because anything less will be measured directly against those prognostications. Rightly or wrongly.

Set realistic expectations.

Cool, Caulfield had a great dozen games. I'll let you guys be miserable about it.

I'd rather have the player who has a more successful career than a more successful first season... I mean first handful of games.

I'd rather win a Cup with an electric performance from a rookie who might flame out than potentially win nothing with a guy who takes five years to round out into a good player.

I'd rather win a Cup with an electric performance from a rookie who might flame out than potentially win nothing with a guy who takes five years to round out into a good player.

This doesn't really make any sense to me considering they have not won the Cup yet, but we don't all have to have the same opinion.

fun times. got my job on 42/park in 86. was 20. came home told my parents i was taking a semester off college and bought ranger season tix with my colleague. had them for a few years. (i did go back to school and grad :)

sat in 423 which is gone now. paid like 20 bucks? maybe a few schekels less. the pot smoke would drift out of the stair corridors between periods. not like i was smelling it but helping to make it. use to take 6 tall boys in my briefcase that i bought at that deli on 33/7th. never got checked. had a buddy scott in 411, nice seat.

had 15 guys behind me from brooklyn. one guy wore a different qb jersey every game. shows up with an orange elway 7 one nite and the whole garden is yelling ELWAY... some drunk guy went over to challenge him... big mistake as his bensonhurst friends beat the hell out of the guy before security got there.

the best though was carol alt marching through the promenade with her black mini skirt. the roof blew off the place. she used to sit behind the rangers goal down low to watch gresh. some nights she would come up and hang in the blues. god we loved her.

fun times.

Slobby, We used to watch/gawk as she would walk up to sit with her dad in I think it was section 410...or 409...I forget. We used do the "CAROL" chant for like half a period until she would finally wave to us!! :rofl:

Holy Good Lord, she was such a babe!!!

I'm looking forward to next season...I'm sure me and RJ will be back sampling a few beers and stirring up the section again. Honestly though, I'd rather get a bunch of this crew together and check out a game with you guys!! THAT, I guarantee will be one to remember! :thumbs:

Blame the hockey scouts, not Kakko. or you could also blame Quinn, while you're at it.

It's going to be tough for Kucherov to lift the Cup and the Conn Smythe over his head with those damaged ribs.

No argument there. That's what I meant by the hypemobile. Scouts + media.

Media more than anyone. Its the job of scouts to be somewhat hyperbolic. They're trying to excite front offices to take the guys they believe in most. It's the job of media to parse that information responsibly, and they don't. Not nearly enough.

When a scout says "this kid is the next McDavid," they don't have to run with it, especially if they don't agree, or most in the industry don't agree. The biggest gripe I have, still, is the level of comparison they (and fans as an extension) make. Take K'Andre Miller, for example. The first name he got compared to? Hedman. Fuck off with that. It should have been Bouwmeester, like his coach said. Thankfully, he hasn't been dragged too much for it, but it happens all the time to the guys taken closest to the top of the draft, and for some players, it becomes an anchor. Ditto phrases like "NHL-ready" and "complete."

Set realistic expectations. I think you'd be surprised how much better the climate around prospects writ large would become if they did.