• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021 Offseason Thread: Fuck Around & Find Out!

Phil

Speculation is that Colorado won't be able to protect Ryan Graves. We could bring him back via trade and he'd be a much better fit at LD than redundant Zac Jones. Gallant would much prefer it since he's at the helm now. 4 big D and let Fox and Nils do their thing. Graves plays physical, skates well and is willing to drop the gloves. Trading him for nothing was one of Gorton's biggest blunders.

Hey Ozzy, Reaves has another year left on his deal w/Vegas after after this one.

You're correct, JS...I totally read Capfriendly incorrectly.....Told you I need my glasses!! LOL

Rooney-Bellemare-Reaves would be a solid fourth line.

I'm down.

Thing is, I think he would be a perfect insurance policy for a couple of years, at least until the kids get their "wings" so to speak. After they've grown into men, we might not need that type of player, but I think he'd be a pretty good fit here at the moment.

But if you couple a Reaves acquisition with a player such as Greenway, I think you've just solved about 80% of the issues with this team. we're not far away from where we have to go....just maybe 2 big, fast defenseman that take no shit (Robertson, Schneider), and a rugged winger that shoots like a madman and plays like one as well (Cuylle).

We're getting there!! ;)

Can you link to the speculation so we understand why? Is it Seattle related?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Seems to be the consensus that he will be left unprotected - including when Johnson waives his NMC

https://www.denverpost.com/2021/05/02/avalanche-expansion-draft-seattle-kraken/

Projected defensemen: Devon Toews, Cale Makar, Sam Girard

Notably unprotected: Erik Johnson, Ryan Graves, Jacob MacDonald, Keaton Middleton, Dennis Gilbert

Notably exempt: Bo Byram, Conor Timmins

Analysis: Johnson, 33, is a team-first player who likely will have no problem waiving his no-trade clause, given his age, injury history and $6 million cap hit through the next two seasons. The Kraken won’t want to build upon that. The 25-year-old Graves, however, makes nearly half as much as Johnson under the same term and is as good as gone if Seattle chooses an Avs defenseman.

Speculation is that Colorado won't be able to protect Ryan Graves. We could bring him back via trade and he'd be a much better fit at LD than redundant Zac Jones. Gallant would much prefer it since he's at the helm now. 4 big D and let Fox and Nils do their thing. Graves plays physical, skates well and is willing to drop the gloves. Trading him for nothing was one of Gorton's biggest blunders.

Seems to be the consensus that he will be left unprotected - including when Johnson waives his NMC

https://www.denverpost.com/2021/05/02/avalanche-expansion-draft-seattle-kraken/

I think this really makes good sense. I'd totally be down with getting Graves back.

I think this really makes good sense. I'd totally be down with getting Graves back.

Graves got Panarin'd by Reaves.

Graves, Smith, Greenway, Lindgren... this team isnt winning fight all season.

Graves got Panarin'd by Reaves.

Graves, Smith, Greenway, Lindgren... this team isnt winning fight all season.

Not so much for that reason, Josh....more about the redundancy of smaller, puck moving defenseman we have. Graves, I think would fit better because of his ability to defend bigger players in front of our net.

Besides, if we trade for Reaves, maybe he could give Graves a lesson in the ring!!!! ;)

Not so much for that reason, Josh....more about the redundancy of smaller, puck moving defenseman we have. Graves, I think would fit better because of his ability to defend bigger players in front of our net.

Besides, if we trade for Reaves, maybe he could give Graves a lesson in the ring!!!! ;)

I’m just playing.

I’m just playing.

LOL

Dude, can you believe we gave Graves away for nothing??? Holy shit!! I've watched so many Avs games this season because as you know I'm a fucking savage MacKinnon fan boy, and I can't even begin to think what the hell Gorton was thinking with that one!!! :rofl:

Too bad he isn't Adam Graves!!!

I like Graves as a player, but trying to paint him as "physical" is a stretch. He's closer to K'Andre Miller (big and mobile) than he is Jacob Trouba (big and mean).
If we're saying Trouba is mean, we're setting the bar really low.

If true, I'd do it. The Rangers do have a possible D spot open for the protected list.

What do the last four teams have in common? Depth through their third and fourth lines.

Islanders https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/teams/new-york-islanders/line-combinations/

Palmieri-Pageau-Zajac

Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck

Canadiens https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/teams/montreal-canadiens/line-combinations/

Byron-Kotkaniemi-Anderson

Armia-Staal-Perry

Lightning https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/teams/tampa-bay-lightning/line-combinations/

Goodrow-Gourde-Coleman

Colton-Johnson-Maroon

Knights https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/teams/vegas-golden-knights/line-combinations/

Janmark-Roy-Tuch

Carrier-Kolesar-Reaves

A lot of us have X'd Chytil out of a spot next season, including myself, but with Gallant in place, Chytil seems like the kind of player who would thrive under him. I think at this point I'd be very hesitant to trade him right now. Even in Quinn's dumpster bin of ice time, combined with a COVID stint that earned Zibanejad all kinds of leeway, he still had a very good 43 point pace (all at even strength!).

I think you hold Chytil as a "2/3C", and sign or trade for another 2/3C. Strome continues to be the odd man out in a long term scenario.

• Like 1

A lot of us have X'd Chytil out of a spot next season, including myself, but with Gallant in place, Chytil seems like the kind of player who would thrive under him. I think at this point I'd be very hesitant to trade him right now. Even in Quinn's dumpster bin of ice time, combined with a COVID stint that earned Zibanejad all kinds of leeway, he still had a very good 43 point pace (all at even strength!).

I think you hold Chytil as a "2/3C", and sign or trade for another 2/3C. Strome continues to be the odd man out in a long term scenario.

You're pretty much the only one that has the Strome as an odd man out at this point.

I don't anticipate Chytil, a soft perimeter player, to thrive under Gallant, unless something changes. The player he is right now is not at all a Gallant type.

You're pretty much the only one that has the Strome as an odd man out at this point.

I don't anticipate Chytil, a soft perimeter player, to thrive under Gallant, unless something changes. The player he is right now is not at all a Gallant type.

I think Chytil can thrive under Gallant. I just don't expect it, because Chytil is Chytil.

Writ large, one of the most important things Gallant and his staff should focus on is helping Chytil, Kakko, Zibanejad, Barron, and ESPECIALLY Kreider and Gauthier (if he survives the expansion draft) use their size to their advantage. You can't be 6'2+, 205+ and be just a perimeter player. All of these players - Barron less than others - are exceptionally talented, and that's a piece of the game that would bring all of them a level up.

I've seen plenty with Strome as the odd man out. Even more outside of this forum with the expectation that he's not the 2C for the future.

80% of the team are perimeter players, so you're basically saying Gallant is a terrible coaching pick if you don't think he can help our players with that. I also don't agree that Chytil is a perimeter player, but I do agree he's too soft for his frame. He has shown on many occasions that he can take the puck to the net, he just doesn't do it enough. I suspect a good coach like Gallant can help with getting him to use that size more. Strome, on the other hand, is a pure perimeter player, and ironically plays with another pure perimeter player in Panarin. Zibanejad and Buchnevich also perimeter players, but they bring more to the team than one dimensional Ryan Strome.

I've seen plenty with Strome as the odd man out. Even more outside of this forum with the expectation that he's not the 2C for the future.

80% of the team are perimeter players, so you're basically saying Gallant is a terrible coaching pick if you don't think he can help our players with that. I also don't agree that Chytil is a perimeter player, but I do agree he's too soft for his frame. He has shown on many occasions that he can take the puck to the net, he just doesn't do it enough. I suspect a good coach like Gallant can help with getting him to use that size more. Strome, on the other hand, is a pure perimeter player, and ironically plays with another pure perimeter player in Panarin. Zibanejad and Buchnevich also perimeter players, but they bring more to the team than one dimensional Ryan Strome.

When you're a 40 goal scorer or 100 plus point player, you can be a perimeter player because getting to the net is not the way you score.

Chytil is not that.

You've been whining about Strome forever and he just keeps producing. Keep doing you though!

When you're a 40 goal scorer or 100 plus point player, you can be a perimeter player because getting to the net is not the way you score.

Chytil is not that.

You've been whining about Strome forever and he just keeps producing. Keep doing you though!

"Say you don't have a good rebuttal without saying you don't have a good rebuttal"

Chytil is not that.

"Say you don't have a good rebuttal without saying you don't have a good rebuttal"

Okay, cool it. TY