• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rate the Rangers - 2020-2021 Season

I'm confused with the part of him not knowing what his game is supposed to be, was he not slotted in the lineup as the 3C in almost if not every game he played in this season. It would seem pretty clear the expectation was he played the C position. I don't see how he could possibly be confused as to what his role (position) wise was this season.

Now was he any good at it, no not really. Any talk about him possibly growing in to the 2C and replacing Strome was way off base.

I'm confused with the part of him not knowing what his game is supposed to be, was he not slotted in the lineup as the 3C in almost if not every game he played in this season. It would seem pretty clear the expectation was he played the C position. I don't see how he could possibly be confused as to what his role (position) wise was this season.

Now was he any good at it, no not really. Any talk about him possibly growing in to the 2C and replacing Strome was way off base.

There's no confusion about the role the Rangers and Quinn put him in. They wanted him to be a 3C, except his game isn't winning faceoffs and playing shutdown defense. He's an offensive minded player. It's a bad fit. The argument has been made before he's not even a C, and that might be true, but it doesn't mean he's a bad player either. It means he's in the wrong role and possibly the wrong position.

You're asking him to play a role that doesn't align with his abilities. Strome to this day isn't anything to write home about defensively and almost as bad at faceoffs 8 years into his career. I just think it's a roster construction problem, not a Chytil problem, when you ask him to be something he is not. He still puts up numbers despite not getting much opportunity to do so, so it seems pretty clear he has a lot of offensive ability. I think a 43 pt pace playing 13 minutes (all even strength) a night is pretty damn good for a 21 y.o., especially when he didn't carry a top 3-5 draft pick pedigree. I bet if he goes to Buffalo or elsewhere in a trade, and gets 18 min a night with 3-4 min PP time, he's a 55-60 point player easy.
I don't know what you mean play a role that doesn't align with his abilities. What I'm asking for is what most centers do. If he can't, he's not a center. I'm grading him for what he did this year, as a center. Not grading him on what he could be if.

I don't know what you mean play a role that doesn't align with his abilities. What I'm asking for is what most centers do. If he can't, he's not a center. I'm grading him for what he did this year, as a center. Not grading him on what he could be if.

Our current 2C doesn't do what you want Chytil to do. Basically, Chytil plays at center and puts up points but sucks at faceoffs and not great defensively. Basically Strome-lite.

There's no confusion about the role the Rangers and Quinn put him in. They wanted him to be a 3C, except his game isn't winning faceoffs and playing shutdown defense. He's an offensive minded player. It's a bad fit. The argument has been made before he's not even a C, and that might be true, but it doesn't mean he's a bad player either. It means he's in the wrong role and possibly the wrong position.
I think that's the question, "Is it a bad fit?"

The talent is there but there's the inconsistency and youth + physicality that's lacking in terms of body position when forechecking, which we've seen Kakko improve on, why not Chytil?

Sent from my Z981 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I think that's the question, "Is it a bad fit?"

The talent is there but there's the inconsistency and youth + physicality that's lacking in terms of body position when forechecking, which we've seen Kakko improve on, why not Chytil?

Sent from my Z981 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Absolutely. Chytil is only 21. That gets lost here, and he's still been growing into his frame. He can get much better from here, and he already just put up .5 ppg on limited ice time. The irony here is if Kakko had Chytil's point production we'd be pretty happy about Kakko's overall progress, rather than saying "yeah he improved, but he still isn't producing".

Absolutely. Chytil is only 21. That gets lost here, and he's still been growing into his frame. He can get much better from here, and he already just put up .5 ppg on limited ice time. The irony here is if Kakko had Chytil's point production we'd be pretty happy about Kakko's overall progress, rather than saying "yeah he improved, but he still isn't producing".
Chytil's 4th year as a pro vs Kakko 2nd.

If Kakko 4th pro year looks like Chytil there'd be concerns.

Strome had a really good 2nd year as a pro.. but that was it- It took him 6 years and 3 teams to hit his stride. Progress is unfortunately not tied to any specified timeline.

Chytil has shown flashes of having the requisite skillset, he just needs to put it all together. He was the 13th C drafted in his class, he's probably the 5th most productive of the group. Could he be more advanced had he played in Europe or the AHL for a couple years? Who knows.

He's 21, talk about throwing the baby out with the bathwater- literally.

Chytil's 4th year as a pro vs Kakko 2nd.

If Kakko 4th pro year looks like Chytil there'd be concerns.

It's Chytil's 3rd "full" NHL season versus Kakko's 2nd. Labeling pro years is dicey, because now you want to debate AHL vs Liiga, or Czech vs Liiga. In the end, what matters more is age and opportunity on NHL ice. There is a a little more than a year gap, but Kakko has been afforded more opportunity and stints with better linemates because he was the #2 pick. The fact remains that if Kakko put up Chytil's production this year we are dreaming about 55-60 points next year being realistic, yet you put Chytil in a box like he isn't capable with more opportunity, or that he had a bad year. It's simply not true.

Chytil may not be here next year, but he's got real 60+ point potential in his prime wherever he goes.

Forwards

Pavel Buchnevich - A

Close to a PPG most of the season. That includes time when Zibanejad was ghosting games and the second half of the season when Kreider was invisible. Also became one of their best defensive players and PKers.

Phillip Di Giuseppe - C-

Irrelevant. Not his fault. He shouldn't be here - doesn't add anything to that 4th line.

Chris Kreider - C

Remember those talks about being a leader? Name him captain for stopping a fight between teammates? He just fell off. Again. During the most important games. Last offseason I was suggesting to get him down to 3rd line minutes because he's always hurt or disappears the last few months of the season. The team needs what he can bring during those important games.

Alexis Lafreniere - B-

Probably the toughest grade to hand out. I give him the benefit of the doubt because... he looked like Lafreneire when the reigns were loosened the last part of the season. Still needs improvement, and consistent effort from game to game, but I also don't think he was given the best opportunities to succeed.

Brendan Lemieux - D+

Didn't really do what he was supposed to do. He added an element the Rangers desperately needed, but it rarely showed up.

Artemi Panarin - A-

Great offensive season... when he wanted it. Tons of turnovers the first half of the season, several games his lack of effort resulted in a goal against and cost the team a point... like watching Kinkaid's slow pass from center ice. Still, great player.

Colin Blackwell - B+

Exceeded expectations. Still completely indifferent on this guy.

Filip Chytil - C+

Still have high hopes, but souring on the development... which I didn't notice this season. His points increased slightly, probably from going from Howden the Lafreneire on his line. But seriously, did we see any development in his game?

Brett Howden - C

I guess a C. He completely blows and shouldn't be in the league without better coaching. Again, it's not his fault he's put out there to suck. As my grades are based on expectation, I guess that's around a C.

Kevin Rooney - C+

"Fine" but could have been a bigger contributor with his intangibles... that we never saw. Another easily replaceable and forgettable players.

Ryan Strome - A

Easily the most consistent center and forward on the team. But I can still see how people desire more. He's not flashy, and that's ok. Would like to see him shoot more.

Mika Zibanejad - D

D for Disappointing.

Julien Gauthier - C+

Indifferent on this guy. I had high hopes but adding skilled forwards pretty much sealed his fate

Kaapo Kakko - C+

Sure, he looked better... if we are expecting Phil Di Gipetto. He's gotta score. Simple as that.

Vitali Kravtsov - B

Ok in limited time. Disappeared a bit when moved to the 4th line. Maybe he was Quinned. Hope he gets more chances next season, but if it didnt work for the kids this season, why would it change for next season?

Defensemen

Anthony Bitetto - D

D for Don't care.

Adam Fox - A+

Great growth. Especially when you consider he didn't kill penalties last season.

Libor Hajek - C

Maybe there's still hope.

Jack Johnson - C

Zac Jones - B-

Blah

Ryan Lindgren - A

He's going to hurt himself. Oh wait...

K'Andre Miller - B+

I didnt expect him to be on the roster. Was the best dman to start the season. He got tired and his play dropped. Understandable for rookies (hence why I always discussing regular games off for rest)

Brendan Smith - C

Just because the rest of the team sucks, doesn't mean I'm going to give him a better grade for getting punched. He still doesn't add anything to this soft team.

Jacob Trouba - B+

Team really suffered when he wasn't in the lineup. We can complain as much as we want, but defensively a completely different team when he's playing, and playing well.

Anothony DeAngelo - D

He didn't just let his team down, he let me down too.

Goaltenders

Alexandar Georgiev - F

This guy sucks

Keith Kinkaid - C+

Sucks slightly less than Georgiev, and doesn't look as awkward

Igor Shesterkin - B-

Needs to do more, consistently. Still plays too cocky and leads to goals against.

• Like 2

Forwards

Pavel Buchnevich - A

Close to a PPG most of the season. That includes time when Zibanejad was ghosting games and the second half of the season when Kreider was invisible. Also became one of their best defensive players and PKers.

Phillip Di Giuseppe - C-

Irrelevant. Not his fault. He shouldn't be here - doesn't add anything to that 4th line.

Chris Kreider - C

Remember those talks about being a leader? Name him captain for stopping a fight between teammates? He just fell off. Again. During the most important games. Last offseason I was suggesting to get him down to 3rd line minutes because he's always hurt or disappears the last few months of the season. The team needs what he can bring during those important games.

Alexis Lafreniere - B-

Probably the toughest grade to hand out. I give him the benefit of the doubt because... he looked like Lafreneire when the reigns were loosened the last part of the season. Still needs improvement, and consistent effort from game to game, but I also don't think he was given the best opportunities to succeed.

Brendan Lemieux - D+

Didn't really do what he was supposed to do. He added an element the Rangers desperately needed, but it rarely showed up.

Artemi Panarin - A-

Great offensive season... when he wanted it. Tons of turnovers the first half of the season, several games his lack of effort resulted in a goal against and cost the team a point... like watching Kinkaid's slow pass from center ice. Still, great player.

Colin Blackwell - B+

Exceeded expectations. Still completely indifferent on this guy.

Filip Chytil - C+

Still have high hopes, but souring on the development... which I didn't notice this season. His points increased slightly, probably from going from Howden the Lafreneire on his line. But seriously, did we see any development in his game?

Brett Howden - C

I guess a C. He completely blows and shouldn't be in the league without better coaching. Again, it's not his fault he's put out there to suck. As my grades are based on expectation, I guess that's around a C.

Kevin Rooney - C+

"Fine" but could have been a bigger contributor with his intangibles... that we never saw. Another easily replaceable and forgettable players.

Ryan Strome - A

Easily the most consistent center and forward on the team. But I can still see how people desire more. He's not flashy, and that's ok. Would like to see him shoot more.

Mika Zibanejad - D

D for Disappointing.

Julien Gauthier - C+

Indifferent on this guy. I had high hopes but adding skilled forwards pretty much sealed his fate

Kaapo Kakko - C+

Sure, he looked better... if we are expecting Phil Di Gipetto. He's gotta score. Simple as that.

Vitali Kravtsov - B

Ok in limited time. Disappeared a bit when moved to the 4th line. Maybe he was Quinned. Hope he gets more chances next season, but if it didnt work for the kids this season, why would it change for next season?

Defensemen

Anthony Bitetto - D

D for Don't care.

Adam Fox - A+

Great growth. Especially when you consider he didn't kill penalties last season.

Libor Hajek - C

Maybe there's still hope.

Jack Johnson - C

Zac Jones - B-

Blah

Ryan Lindgren - A

He's going to hurt himself. Oh wait...

K'Andre Miller - B+

I didnt expect him to be on the roster. Was the best dman to start the season. He got tired and his play dropped. Understandable for rookies (hence why I always discussing regular games off for rest)

Brendan Smith - C

Just because the rest of the team sucks, doesn't mean I'm going to give him a better grade for getting punched. He still doesn't add anything to this soft team.

Jacob Trouba - B+

Team really suffered when he wasn't in the lineup. We can complain as much as we want, but defensively a completely different team when he's playing, and playing well.

Anothony DeAngelo - D

He didn't just let his team down, he let me down too.

Goaltenders

Alexandar Georgiev - F

This guy sucks

Keith Kinkaid - C+

Sucks slightly less than Georgiev, and doesn't look as awkward

Igor Shesterkin - B-

Needs to do more, consistently. Still plays too cocky and leads to goals against.

Literally all of this. Perfect list/grades.

OK, my turn!! ;)

Forwards

Pavel Buchnevich - A

I really liked the way Buch matured. I hope they sign him and keep him, but I think Kreider's contract is going to cock block us on Buch. I hope I'm wrong! He's developed a mean streak! ...and I like it!!!

Phillip Di Giuseppe - D

I just have no idea what he's doing out there sometimes...I don't think he does either, but he still makes my dick itch when I see him in the lineup.

Chris Kreider - C-

The absolute most schizophrenic player in the NHL, by far. When he's hot, he's tremendous, and when he's cold, he blows dead moose dick. I expect more from him than this season, and I see now why he's not wearing the "C".

Alexis Lafreniere - C+

I love Laffy! He's got game and it's finally starting to show. Long layoff and no training camp, and a snail paced start was no help, but that aside, this kid's going to be the real deal. Wait 'til next year!!!

Brendan Lemieux - D

I liked his spunk, but we can do better on the 4th line.

Artemi Panarin - B+

I give Bread credit for carrying this team the whole first 28 games this year. The guy was on point, making plays and being that MVP we expected. I agree with Pete though, I think he was playing hurt the last half of the season, and it kinda slowed him a bit. Still a pretty damn good season though for Panarin.

Colin Blackwell - A

This guy was a god send from the scrap heap! I absolutely loved his effort every night. He's a perfect 4th liner for this team...fuck age!! ....and full marks for being out there for the face off scrum against the Caps!!

Filip Chytil - D+

I'll be shocked if he's a Ranger next season. He has no role here, in my opinion; He's not supplanting Strome at 2C, and he's too timid, can't win faceoff's and doesn't make the guys around him better to be a 3C or 4C. His injury didn't help him either, and the last thing this team needs is frailty up the middle. Hopefully he'll make a good trade asset.

Brett Howden - D

This would be an "F" if he didn't contribute to the high ranked PK, but he should be done in NY. There may be an opening as a Zamboni driver though next season.

Kevin Rooney - B

Pretty good effort out of Rooney. He played every game and was pretty responsible 2 ways all season. He even scored a few. I was never uncomfortable when he was out there.

Ryan Strome - A-

I was actually surprised at how much I under rated Strome at the start of the season. He was fantastic this year, and he set the bar at that 2C spot. He was good in all areas of the game and he and Bread clicked right away. He's a keeper!

Mika Zibanejad - B-

I think his second half outshines his dismal start a little more. But when he's on, he's one of the best around. Next season is going to be the tell-tale year on what to do with him though. I bet he plays like a madman as it's his last season before UFA status.

Julien Gauthier - D

I'll spell it for you: S-E-A-T-T-L-E ...if not it's S-E-E Y-A

Kaapo Kakko - B+

I can't believe this is the same guy we watched last season! Holy shit!! Light years of progress with this kid and I'm still calling it; Future Selke winner here. Next year Kakko's going to be a force. I'll even say 25 goals and 40 assists.

Vitali Kravtsov - A

This guy's a player...no doubt! Pete's right; he came back with a great attitude and he won himself a spot on this team. He actually became a pretty solid 2 way player as well. Now we just get him some better suited linemates, wind him up and let him go.

Defensemen

Anthony Bitetto - C

"Glue" did what he was asked. He scored a fabulous highlight reel goal, and filled some holes when needed.

Adam Fox - A+

At first I was just hoping he would get "votes" for the Norris. Now I'm thinking he may be a favorite to win it! Fucking guy is GOLD! I'm lucky to be blessed with being able to watch 2 generational defenseman in one lifetime; first Leetch and now Fox. The sky is the limit for this kid.

Libor Hajek - D-

I was not thrilled with Hajek the last 10 games. Too many glaring weaknesses...but we have a glut of guys coming so maybe we can get something of value back in a package with him.

Jack Johnson - C

Just leaving Pete's writeup..."He was fine when he played. Can't say much more. His signing was met with much consternation, but he didn't cost the Rangers a whole lot."

Zac Jones - B+

He sure as hell didn't look out of place from the start! I liked Zac's game and yes, he does move like Fox! He's very slippery, as he's tough to hit with the puck. He's very elusive in the offensive zone, sees the ice very well, and is not afraid to shoot it. PP2 next season, and Jones supplants ADA by a landslide. He can defend...and for a defenseman, that's a major plus!

Ryan Lindgren - A

The PERFECT compliment for Fox. Sign him, and keep him with Foxy. The guy is a warrior out there! I don't think you can ever have too many Lindgren's. I'll even bet he's a great drinking buddy!! LOL

K'Andre Miller - B-

K came outta the gate like a madman, and his play was phenomenal. He's great with the stick, but I'd like to see a little more physicality from him in the next couple seasons. I think Pete's right with him missing Trouba, but I also think he kinda ran outta gas towards the end of this season as well. Next year he comes back and learns from this year. The guy is a great skater, and yet another solid defenseman to build around. I wanna see him shoot more next season. He has a rocket of a shot!

Brendan Smith - B-

I've hated Smith's contract since they gave it to him. This year he showed me a lot though. He was tough as nails for this team and stood up for the kids knowing full well he's not a heavyweight out there. Smith did a fairly admirable job on defense, and chipped in offensively with a few goals down the stretch, keeping us in it for a while. He had to cover for Hajek a lot and that's a job in itself. I hope we find a way to keep him, because he brings that toughness element we lack, and oh yeah...he CAN play!

Jacob Trouba - B-

This is a tough one, because I can't stand his contract, but he's exactly the type player we need on defense. He's another guy that needs to shoot the puck more from the point, and his physical play is a necessity. I think he taught Miller a lot, and it was almost glaring how the team became very deflated when he was not in the lineup. I've been tough on him all season, but now I kinda see what he meant to them a little more.

Goaltenders

Alexandar Georgiev - C-

One more year before this contract is up. He's god-awful on breakaways, and allowed too many softies.

Keith Kinkaid - B+

Kinky should be the backup in my opinion; he's a solid veteran, and the team seems to play well in front of him. Plus, he's my homie...so this is skewed! ;)

Igor Shesterkin - B

I thought Igor showed to be quite capable. He had to face an onslaught of breakaways this year, and made some fabulous saves at key times to keep us in games. He had his share of miscues but I believe he's going to improve next season knowing he's going to be "the guy".

Added grades for coaching and leadership.

David Quinn: C

I've gone back and forth on Quinn all season trying to take in all opinions and sides. I'm still trying to figure out whether or not he just didn't have the tools, or just couldn't control what his team did on the ice. He's also saddled with a team that has very little toughness, and can only play one way. Is it fair to give him another season with a more "seasoned" and "tougher" lineup to see what he can do with the proper tooling? Was it a coincidence that the team turned the tide during the stretch when Knoblauch was behind the bench?

I think there's more questions than there are answers for me.

I won't be surprised if Drury sticks with Quinn.

Leadership: F

This is constructed very well, Pete: "If you believe a coach has lost a room, then you can look directly to the leadership core who did not remind this team that they play for each other. You can blame Quinn for "not adapting his style", but the players bear that responsibility as well. There's no C on this team because there's no one fit to lead it. Zib can try and put the team on his back, but do they follow his lead? If they do...He needs to adapt as well."

• Like 1

Forwards

Pavel Buchnevich - A

I hope this wasn't a 'contract year bump' and he continues to produce the way he did this year. Love that he became a critical PKer, but hope we don't have to rely on him there and more of the bottom 6 can pick up the slack there. Still, he not only upped his game to the level we've been waiting for him to hit, but he's also become a leader. Love that he's got a bit of an angry streak to him too.

Phillip Di Giuseppe - C

Very meh. Most of the bottom 6 had good starts to the year and were doing their best to pick up the pace when the top guys struggled out of the gate but I don't see any reason PDG needs to be here next season. Won't lose sleep over it if they sign him back

Chris Kreider - B-

When he's on, he's on. He can be a driving force on for this team but like always, he disappeared in some big moments. Can't discount his good stretch mid season though.

Alexis Lafreniere - B-

I forgive him for his bad start. He hadn't played competitive hockey in a LONG time. He's young, coming into a league in a very strange year with very weird circumstances. He has started to pick up his game a lot over the last half of the season. Him struggling wasn't the reason the team struggled early. We weren't (shouldn't have been?) in a position to rely on him to be a super star right out of the gate

Artemi Panarin - A-

His missed time isn't his fault. He's electric. More 3+ points game as a Ranger than 0 point games. Not his fault the offense completely disappears the moment he doesn't have a great night. A+ would need to be McDavid numbers at this point but Panarin is going to be our MVP every year for the next several years.

Colin Blackwell - A

Disappeared the last 10 games of the year. But he was never supposed to be our big time producer anyway. He's certainly made the most of ice-time he probably never expected to get. Can't ask for more from him. Kind of hope they start to ask less from him. I think he can be great on the third line and, if need be, can fill in with Panarin when needed

Filip Chytil - C-

I might be being generous. He had an opportunity to take a BIG step forward here. Should have competed with Strome for ice time. He looked good pre-injury but not after that. You could forgive him if he was playing hurt and the injury took away his speed but that wasn't the case. He still has had all the same tools he always had, but was mostly invisible.

Brett Howden - F

Did nothing to deserve ice-time this season. I guess he's serviceable on the PK but he was hardly a PK specialist. Doesn't deserve to be here. Could have spent the last couple of years in Hartford, and maybe he'd have a much better shot at becoming a player.

Kevin Rooney - B+

Was everything he was asked to be. Him Flexing at Tom Wilson would bump it up to an A+ for me but I am trying to grade at least somewhat seriously

Ryan Strome - B+

I dock him points because of the way he finished the year. Of course, the whole team was in a similar position so it's not ALL on him but overall a very good year. He proved he belongs where he is

Mika Zibanejad - A-

I'm willing to say his slow start was an anomaly, completely caused by his bout with COVID. Sure some of his point totals were in bulk from a couple of games but overall, he was lethal. He had a great month of March when we were really pushing.

Julien Gauthier - F

maybe some of the blame is on Quinn for not giving him a better opportunity? someone with that size and speed should be better. He should honestly be working to become the next Chris Kreider. He's far from that

Kaapo Kakko - B+

Advanced Stats should have him in the Selke Conversation.

He's going to be legit, he's piecing it together. I'm not sure what Quinn's issue with him is though? Like I get some coaches might be tough on a young player for not being responsible defensively or whatnot but that doesn't describe Kakko at all. Would like him to produce more, and use his shot. If that play he had with Laf is any indication of what's to come with those two, we are in for a FUN next 10 seasons

Vitali Kravtsov - B-

Showed flashes. The skill is 100% there. I don't think he did enough to warrant a better grade overall but I don't doubt he'll continue improving. Certainly big strides from where he was before

Defensemen

Anthony Bitetto - F

Love this guy. But he's done here. Im sure sitting for something like 30 games straight or whatever the hell it was didn't help him. But he was not ready to play when he got his chance

Adam Fox - A+

Why even bother

Libor Hajek - D+

He has in very small sample sizes shown he has some promise. I hope he fulfills it elsewhere

Jack Johnson - C

Happy to say I kind of forgot he was ever on this team

Zac Jones - B

Coming in from the college level, right to the NHL in the midst of a playoff race is a tall task. Was he perfect? no. But he certainly had good moments and was far from a liability.

Ryan Lindgren - A-

He took some serious strides this year. Seems like the team loves having him here. He does everything he needs to do and comes back for more. Comfortable having him on ANY D pair.

K'Andre Miller - B

I think he was the victim of his own great start. Overall he needs to work on a lot but we've seen what he was capable of. He'll only continue to improve.

Brendan Smith - B+

#BringBackSmitty

Jacob Trouba - B+

The team with Trouba and the team without Trouba is like night and day. One of the few players who can take the body and play a super phyiscal game when needed. He's got some of that 'jam' we clearly were lacking.

Goaltenders

Alexandar Georgiev - B-

Needs to be more consistent. would not mind if we moved him at all

Keith Kinkaid - A

He did the job of 3rd goalie as well as anyone could have asked. I don't think we were at all negatively affected with him in net. If we can trade Georgiev for something decent I really would not mind keeping Blockaid as our backup at all.

Igor Shesterkin - B+

Grade depends on your frame of reference I guess? Is he Hank? no. But he's a very very good rookie goalie who maybe needs to find some more consistency but that will come with time. His worst games were when he was left out to dry. Hopefully in the years to come, those games are fewer and farther between

Coach Quinn: B

Look, I have my complaints, as do we all. But if you're going to hit him on some players not developing, you gotta credit him for the ones that did. Zibanejad has emerged as a legit #1 center under Quinn. Fox has quickly become a top defenseman in the NHL. Buchnevich has broken out. Strome has become more and more worthy of his draft position (with a different team of course)

2 years in a row, we had a rough start, a very good last couple of months of the season before an inevitable end of year collapse. It's not sustainable, but it was also two COVID shortened seasons so Im fine giving him a 3rd crack at it

• Like 1

Forwards

Pavel Buchnevich - A+ - What more do you want from him at this point besides agreeing to an exceptionally team-friendly contract, and maybe learning to shoot even more? Amazing growth into a PPG player.

Phillip Di Giuseppe - C - He's a plug. Never really hurt us. Never really helped us. Led the team in assists at one point, which is less a value judgment and more a damning indictment of how bad we were starting off. I wish him well and don't expect him back.

Chris Kreider - C+ - Maddening, unfailing inconsistency. When he's on, he's ON. When he's off, he's OFF. Same story, different season.

Alexis Lafreniere - B- - Look, any way you cut it, this season is hard. It's got to be really hard going from "not playing a hockey game in a year" to "first overall pick in the biggest American market". I can understand all of that, and I get why he struggled early on. He looked like a very different player in the last quarter of the season, and hopefully with a more "normal" offseason, he comes back looking like a guy ready to take the NHL by storm. He's got the talent to do it.

Brendan Lemieux - D - He's not his dad. He just isn't. He's a willing pugilist that can't really fight. He's a willing net-front presence that can't really make it happen. It's fine that he was here. It's fine that he's not.

Artemi Panarin - A - MVP-caliber player. Does it all the time, and will get a pass for the rare nights he doesn't have it. To have the season he did while he's being targeted by the Kremlin is amazing.

Colin Blackwell - A- - This was a gem of a signing. Yes, he's upjumped from his proper role, but he had himself a hell of a season.

Filip Chytil - C - The hand injury had to hurt, but it's just frustrating seeing him at this point. He's an immensely talented player with a nose for the net and a complete lack of desire to play anything but east-west hockey in which he and only he has the puck. And yet, he's still a half point a game player. He's going to be dealt, imo, and he'll either flourish with the right coach and the right ice time, or start bouncing around the league, but he can't get the ice time here, whether it's at center or at wing.

Brett Howden - D - Just isn't the guy we hoped he was, and can't play down the lineup in a meaningful way. Hope he finds a home and his game in Seattle.

Kevin Rooney - B- - Perfectly fine. For picking a guy up off the Devils' scrap heap, he probably overdelivered, and I'm bumping him half a letter for his derpy-ass impression of Tom Wilson that got him 10 minutes in the sin bin.

Ryan Strome - A - Seriously, why do we beat on him so endlessly? He's a PPG 2c who clearly gels with our superstar MVP and makes perfect sense for this team. He's a vocal leader both inside and outside the lockerroom. What more do we want here!?

Mika Zibanejad - B- - Did you know he scored 50 points? Me neither. But he did - and all the while basically taking COVID on for half the season. I can't beat him too hard for how COVID hit him, but I do wish that we didn't have to wait 25 games for Record Breaking Form to return.

Julien Gauthier - Incomplete - Did he even play after Kravtsov came up?

Kaapo Kakko - B - Guy went from "worst player in the NHL" to "can play defense like a motherfucker" in 8 months. His stats suggest he's about to go off. If he doesn't get to like...45-50 points next year, it's a problem, but there's every indication he's on the edge of something special here. Finnish Mark Stone coming soon.

Vitali Kravtsov - B - Did just fine stepping into the game. Looked confident, thorough, like a guy who should compete for a good role next year.

Defensemen

Anthony Bitetto - D - Always nice to see a local kid live the dream. Just don't make it as much of a nightmare next time.

Adam Fox - A+ - Adam Bobby Brian Nicklas Norris Fox. Still can't believe we gave up the extra second rounder for him. :rolleyes:

Libor Hajek - D - He can play at the NHL level, but he's overmatched when he gets beyond third pair minutes and bluntly, he's going to be passed on the depth chart in short order by any number of the defensive prospects we have. Please fire the scout who told us he was a must have player.

Jack Johnson - C - Was fine, meh even. No sense dwelling. He was here.

Zac Jones - B- - Looked perfectly fine slotted into the lineup. Made the rookie mistakes. Should be the guy to watch next year - if he's really another Fox-like prospect, we're in for a treat.

Ryan Lindgren - A - Dan Girardi reborn. Might be a terminator that bleeds real blood. Needs to work on having functional platelet cells.

K'Andre Miller - B- - He didn't look overmatched for much of the season, but having a partner that covers his mistakes really mattered. Losing Trouba hurt him more than anyone else, but he had a fine enough season to begin his career.

Brendan Smith - C - A few folks have said it right - the knock on him is the contract. He's constantly mentioned as mentoring the rookies. He's constantly a voice we hear. He's constantly solid and unspectacular on the ice. I hope we find a way to keep him around as a 7th.

Jacob Trouba - C+ - Kind of the same thing as Smith - if not for his contract, we'd all be much nicer to him. He clearly provides a lot of off-ice stuff we don't see, and his on ice play is solid if unspectacular.

Anothony DeAngelo - F - There's not much more to say here - you can't fall from grace harder than he did. Hope he figures it out.

Goaltenders

Alexandar Georgiev - C- - Just maddeningly inconsistent. I'm indifferent as to whether or not he comes back.

Keith Kinkaid - B - Can you really ask for more out of your third string goalie? He met expectations and then some.

Igor Shesterkin - B+ - Others have noted it - he was great when he was great, but he's still a little too arrogant. He's like one or two mental and mechanical tweaks from being an absolute wall.

• Like 1

Forwards

Pavel Buchnevich - A+

Guy did everything you could ask of him and has turned into a really solid player. With that said I think he is one of the first trades out of NY considering what's in the pipeline.

Phillip Di Giuseppe - C

Plug who played like a plug. Nothing more to add.

Chris Kreider - D

I am going to be hard on Kreider because of one and only one reason- the guy was kept around to be a leader on an otherwise young team, and to help provide a bit of physicality which I dont believe he really did. Those long stretches of being completely invisible are just getting worse and worse. Ill give him credit he is one of the best at standing in front of the net but the guy has blazing speed and a good shot, the body of power forward and cant seem to put all of that together. Guy is such an enigma and I want to like him but its getting really hard to cheer for him at times.

Alexis Lafreniere - Leaving Morphs comment as i agree completely

C+

About as bad a start as you could imagine to his NHL career. In that time, he failed to show any sort of skill, dynamic ability, or anything that made him #1 overall. He improved as the season went on for sure though and there's some hope for next season.

Brendan Lemieux - D-

We can talk about this tea needing a physical presence and I agree, Lemieux isnt/wasnt the answer. Only memorable thing he did this season was block those two shots before he got traded. No big hits, fights, and he certainly was nothign to watch offensively. We can do better.

Artemi Panarin - A

Offensive leader and makes this whole team better. With that said he doesnt get a + because I felt like almost every big game he was no where to be found. Your best player needs to show up for those more than ever. Still convinced he had some sort of lingering injury all season long that was not disclosed because he didnt look like himself at all times.

Colin Blackwell - A+

Cant ask for a better outcome for a plug signing.

Filip Chytil - C

He's still 21 so I am still calling him a kid. Next season (if hes here which is unlikely) he needs to take a step further in his development otherwise I fear thats it for him. Guess we'll see.

Brett Howden - F

Will never understand why his is consistently in the lineup. There have to have been better choices.

Kevin Rooney - B+

See Colin Blackwell.

Ryan Strome - A

For a guy I thought was a place-holder for Chytil (another topic for conversation) he has really won me over this season and last. I am all for keeping him. He doesnt do anything amazing but he works well with Panarin and is a team first guy.

Mika Zibanejad - C+

Those hat trick games were impressive as they always are. But similar to Panarin, just doesnt show up in big games. Rating might be a bit harsh considering covid and all but I am willing to disregard this entire season for him if he picks up where he left off last year.

Julien Gauthier - C

I actually thought he had a few good games and then Quinn remembered he hated him and stopped playing him again. He has size and speed and was using it. Defensively not perfect but I wouldnt even know if he has improved on that as we barely saw any of him.

Kaapo Kakko - B+

Improved and still only 20. Hope to god we have the patience to see him because the player we want him to be because I think he still has the potential for that.

Vitali Kravtsov - A-

Cant believe he played 20 games, felt like 5. He was engaged, hustled back on the back check in every game, used his body a bit, and clearly has offensive talent. Might be our best offensive prospect right now (prove me wrong Laf)

Defensemen

Anthony Bitetto - D

Plug doing plug things. Cant complain but also hope we never see him again.

Adam Fox - A+

Best player on the Rangers.

Libor Hajek - F

I would forgive some of his defensive lapses if he showed any offensive promise, which was reported in scouting reports. But we have seen nothing. Gorton got fleeced on this trade big time. We should never see him in a Rangers uni again with what is in the system.

Jack Johnson - D

He is the howden of defenseman. I get why they signed him, I am glad we will never have to see him play as a Ranger again.

Zac Jones - C+

Looked to get more and more comfortable as the season went on but there wasnt much to talk about really. He might be good one day but holy shit he has to be like 5'2 right?

Ryan Lindgren - A

I fear for this durability but you cant ask a guy to do more than Lindgren does.

K'Andre Miller -Agree 100% - But I am not worried.

C

Incredible start to the season. He looked super poised and like he could be a stud on the back end. Then his play started to slip... and slip.. and slip. Since the first 20 games or so of the season, he's looked pretty bad. Tons of turnovers, failure to read plays

Brendan Smith - B

He went from a guy I couldnt wait to get rid of at all costs to a guy I hope they re-sign at a fair price as a 7th D.

Jacob Trouba - D

I will be the first to admit that I just cant get over that contract so I'll just say what I DO like about him... the team seemed to fall apart a bit defensively when he got hurt, and he seems to want to take on a leadership role.

Goaltenders

Alexandar Georgiev - D

Thought this was his worst season as a Ranger. They basically had 0 goal-tending through the first 15 games or so.

Keith Kinkaid - B

Plug player who played like a plug player. Cant complain.

Igor Shesterkin - C+

I write this without checking his stats (which I am sure are pretty good) but it just seems like he makes 30 great saves and then lets in 4 bad shots. Ill chalk it up to a rookie (really?) still learning the NHL game but I found myself saying "I miss Hank" more than a few games this season. Same as Georgiev, Rangers had no goal-tending the first 15 games or so. Hope to see improvement next year.

NYR as a whole- C-

Was like a train wreck you couldnt stop watching. About the only good thing I can say is the kids got some playing time. For the first time in a while I have a really bad taste in my mouth after a season for a multitude of reasons. I could deal with a losing season but I was very disappointed in the lack of effort and urgency all season long. Coaching, management, and the players all looked bad at one or all points of the year. I imagine it can only get better.

Okay, he's in NHL player, just not a good one. I stick to my assessment of his play regardless of the points he put up. He doesn't make anyone else around him better, he's not good defensively, he's not good at face-offs, he's got no creativity or vision in terms of setting up others, he's got a decent shot good speed and is great one-on-one.

Robbie Schremp put up similar numbers his third year in the league and two years later he was out of the NHL.

I would say he's not a center, he should be on the wing.