• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Artemi Panarin Suffers Lower-Body Injury; Out for Remainder of Season

Phil

I'm surprised by some of your responses to this. Not to get political, but some of you are clearly outspoken in support of a personal safety being up to the individual, not a governing body. I'm surprised there are so many calls for the NHLs governing body to handle this when it's been proven time and time again they're incapable, and that the game is best policed by the players.

I feel like Gorton is partly responsible for putting the Rangers in a bad spot here. With so many young players and the way things went last year, I think it was quite obvious this team was liable to be taken advantage of.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised by some of your responses to this. Not to get political, but some of you are clearly outspoken in support of a personal safety being up to the individual, not a governing body. I'm surprised there are so many calls for the NHLs governing body to handle this when it's been proven time and time again they're incapable, and that the game is best policed by the players.

I feel like Gorton is partly responsible for putting the Rangers in a bad spot here. With so many young players and the way things went last year, I think it was quite obvious this team was liable to be taken advantage of.

Absolutely, but to be fair, he did go hard after Chara, likely for this exact reason. Reaves, too, a few years ago.

Strome with the vanilla answers. Dude, say what you want to say.

You mean like,

1. I'm just glad it wasn't me!

2. I'm just thankful I didn't get punched in the face

3. I hope to escape getting run and/or getting punched in the face by that maniac Thursday

4. cough cough I might be coming down with something

For the general reputation Russians have of being these scary tough guys, how are 95% of the hockey players they produce so soft?

not just russians, europeans in general. There's no physical aspect taught. if a player cant play hockey, he wont get on a team, no matter how big or tough or how good of a fighter he is. European hockey is all about skill

Absolutely, but to be fair, he did go hard after Chara, likely for this exact reason. Reaves, too, a few years ago.

I get that we're not tough and that's a roster construction issue, but there's a stark difference between having guys like that on the roster and "planning" to have a countermeasure for something like this. Have a guy that makes you think twice about throwing a big hit, sure, but what Wilson did goes well beyond the bounds for which you reasonably prepare as a coach or GM.

Did not know this. Would kill to have him.

Chara: https://nypost.com/2021/04/23/what-rangers-zdeno-chara-pursuit-reveals-about-their-needs-this-offseason/

Reaves: https://nypost.com/2018/06/28/rangers-eyeing-veteran-golden-knights-bruiser-in-free-agency/

I'm sure there were others, too. My guess is the Rangers' cap kind of fucked up their ability to properly "protect" their roster, and it didn't help matters when Lemieux requested a trade, DeAngelo tantrumed his way off the team, and then Trouba and Lindgren both got hurt.

Chara: https://nypost.com/2021/04/23/what-rangers-zdeno-chara-pursuit-reveals-about-their-needs-this-offseason/

Reaves: https://nypost.com/2018/06/28/rangers-eyeing-veteran-golden-knights-bruiser-in-free-agency/

I'm sure there were others, too. My guess is the Rangers' cap kind of fucked up their ability to properly "protect" their roster, and it didn't help matters when Lemieux requested a trade, DeAngelo tantrumed his way off the team, and then Trouba and Lindgren both got hurt.

Lemieux was the biggest disappointment to me. I really thought that guy could have developed into a 2nd liner when we got him, and he regressed into a completely useless player. Trouba getting hurt seems to have deflated the entire team.

Son of a...

And yea I agree they probably couldnt offer him what he or others wanted. I am sure it will be addressed (and most likely over-dressed in typical rangers fashion) this off season.

I get that we're not tough and that's a roster construction issue, but there's a stark difference between having guys like that on the roster and "planning" to have a countermeasure for something like this. Have a guy that makes you think twice about throwing a big hit, sure, but what Wilson did goes well beyond the bounds for which you reasonably prepare as a coach or GM.

Yes, if your goal is to "prevent" Wilson from being Wilson, but that's a false pretense and we both know it. These players are not deterrents, but retaliations, which both the Martin/Trouba and Wilson/Buch/Panarin incidents show is a legitimate factor. This club shrinks from physical hockey, and physical scrums. Yes, what Wilson did went beyond just hockey, but when he returned in the Caps game, his first shift, he took a huge run at I believe Rooney, who literally threw the puck away like a grenade to bail on the contact. I wouldn't want to get hit by Wilson full-speed either, but it's clear as day how to beat this team: beat them. Get in their faces and they'll shrink to the size of atoms, giving your team all the room it needs to win a game 6-3 that you were losing 3-2.

• Like 1

Yes, if your goal is to "prevent" Wilson from being Wilson, but that's a false pretense and we both know it. These players are not deterrents, but retaliations, which both the Martin/Trouba and Wilson/Buch/Panarin incidents show is a legitimate factor. This club shrinks from physical hockey, and physical scrums. Yes, what Wilson did went beyond just hockey, but when he returned in the Caps game, his first shift, he took a huge run at I believe Rooney, who literally threw the puck away like a grenade to bail on the contact. I wouldn't want to get hit by Wilson full-speed either, but it's clear as day how to beat this team: beat them. Get in their faces and they'll shrink to the size of atoms, giving your team all the room it needs to win a game 6-3 that you were losing 3-2.

Think it was Hajek.

Lemieux was the biggest disappointment to me. I really thought that guy could have developed into a 2nd liner when we got him, and he regressed into a completely useless player. Trouba getting hurt seems to have deflated the entire team.

Same, and 100% on Trouba. Dunny, I think, pointed it out in the GDT the shortly after it happened. They look(ed) naked without him.

Son of a...

And yea I agree they probably couldnt offer him what he or others wanted. I am sure it will be addressed (and most likely over-dressed in typical rangers fashion) this off season.

Given what we've seen, I'll happily take over-addressed. They simply cannot take this club, as is, into a playoff series. Least of all one where they will potentially be going against the Islanders and/or Capitals.

Think it was Hajek.

You're probably right. I didn't catch the number and haven't gone back to watch. I just remember seeing Wilson go full-bore at him, and watching them throw the puck away like a fucking grenade.

You're probably right. I didn't catch the number and haven't gone back to watch. I just remember seeing Wilson go full-bore at him, and watching them throw the puck away like a fucking grenade.

To be fair, that's probably less to do with Wilson going full-bore at him and more to do with Hajek generally handling the puck like a live grenade.

Same, and 100% on Trouba. Dunny, I think, pointed it out in the GDT the shortly after it happened. They look(ed) naked without him.

Given what we've seen, I'll happily take over-addressed. They simply cannot take this club, as is, into a playoff series. Least of all one where they will potentially be going against the Islanders and/or Capitals.

100% agree. I mean think of the players who had impacts for this team in past playoff series: Rupp, Dorsett, and Carcillo. I keep thinking about players like Ryane Clowe too. Unfortunately he got hurt with the Rangers but I think he would have been an impact player here too. I wouldn't hate it if the Rangers brought in some guys like that this summer.

The 4th line needs to have some men on it.

thats right. wilson doesnt have enough marbles to be deterred. He was pissed at the refs for the penalty, so he went after the whole rangers PP line. There's not much between the ears

So basically! I'm not crazy!! well, ok...not as crazy as I thought.....Scotty's got the same interpretation I got from it.

Message to the Rangers is: Go build a tougher team! I'm all for it, and if it takes this type of situation to send that message, then so be it!

Yes, the Rangers need a tougher team but while that may deter a Clutterbuck, as other people have said, this will NOT deter Tom Wilson. Heck even going after his own players probably won’t. It will just make him worse.

Wilson is a player who plays with the INTENT to actually injure opposing players, when given the chance, whether it be during play or after the whistle. That is exactly what we saw last night, intent to injure Buch AND Panarin.

That to me should never, ever be tolerated by the NHL. But it seems they don’t agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Yes, the Rangers need a tougher team but while that may deter a Clutterbuck, as other people have said, this will NOT deter Tom Wilson. Heck even going after his own players probably won’t. It will just make him worse.

Wilson is a player who plays with the INTENT to actually injure opposing players, when given the chance, whether it be during play or after the whistle. That is exactly what we saw last night, intent to injure Buch AND Panarin.

That to me should never, ever be tolerated by the NHL. But it seems they don’t agree.

I'm not sure he plays with the "intent" to injure players, Chuck...but that's just my take. I actually like Tom Wilson as a player. Did he go way too far last night? Yeah, definitely. But it could've been a lot worse in my opinion. The weird part is that I didn't even see him drop his gloves until he had to pull Panarin off his back.

The fact that Panarin went flying is because Wilson is an absolute fuck-beast of a guy, who threw Panarin like a party.

I agree Wilson is going to be who he is, but the thing is the Rangers are part of the problem here too; When you employ a collection of skilled rookie kids, with no means of "protection", you're basically letting your kids "play in the street". Well, an army tank just rolled down that street and took out our unprotected Bentley. Thankfully it missed the kids!

I truly believe this is the eye-opener this franchise needs to see where it HAS to go...kind of a curse and a blessing. I will absolutely guarantee this will never happen to this team again going forward in JD's tenure as president.

This may seem silly, but something I've seen in the past, both in the NHL and on teams I was on, is when you're getting trucked, and you have no obvious immediate response available, Quinn should have been up Laviolettes dick. Put that behavior on the other coach.

I didn't see any bench action, maybe it happened, but they didn't show anything. If I were Quinn I would have went ballistic on Laviolette, even if they're friends.

There is no argument for not employing some protection. Could you imagine this place and the talk around the league if the Rangers were in playoff position and contending and they just lost Panarin to this shit? Even more to the point when the playoffs come around the refs are going to let the series breath. Meaning if a series gets violent and rough the refs are going to let more go not less. Not having players who can respond to violence is encouraging more violence against your team. This has been a problem here since AV came here. Every year since the day he arrived they have become softer and softer. The league has changed for sure but the Rangers went overboard in assessing that change. Physical play has a role