• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Ryan Strome: Good, Actually

Phil

He’s also 21 and still has time to improve, especially under a new coach. He will never be a physical player but he has size and can certainly add a bit of snarl to his game too as he matures.

I’m not against moving him if the right deal comes along I just think he will still get better and still have hope he can fill that 2c spot. I know I’m in the minority but time will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Obviously still plenty of room for improvement, but I thought he made good strides this past season. Being inconsistent is still going to happen when you're 21 years old and still a newbie in the league. I'm interested to see how he does with a new outlook and new staff. It seemed like his hands were a bit better and was good in tight. Him becoming a 2C is very reasonable. Perhaps worst case scenario is he's a very good 3C.

On paper, yes, but this presumes he remains a center and really requires him to take big steps forward to fill that role. It's a lot to expect of someone who hasn't really shown that big jump in play yet.

18/19 75gp, 11g, 12a, 23p (12g, 14a, 26p over 82 games rate)

19/20 60gp, 14g, 9a, 23p (19g, 11a, 30p over 82 games rate)

20/21 42gp, 8g, 14a, 22p (16g, 27a, 43p over 82 games rate)

Obviously, these are just projection rates. You can make two arguments with projections. One is that a player might not have maintained those averages, the other is that the missed time could have lowered actual production as a player gets back into game shape.

A relatively healthy Chytil in normal non-COVID seasons would have played significantly more and presumably had the time to develop more. A third year player getting into every game would be up to 246gp, while he's only at 186gp (-60gp) when including his 9 game cup of coffee back in 17/18.

If his production continues to improve along a similar rate, he would be looking at around ~50p full season next year.

18/19 75gp, 11g, 12a, 23p (12g, 14a, 26p over 82 games rate)

19/20 60gp, 14g, 9a, 23p (19g, 11a, 30p over 82 games rate)

20/21 42gp, 8g, 14a, 22p (16g, 27a, 43p over 82 games rate)

Obviously, these are just projection rates. You can make two arguments with projections. One is that a player might not have maintained those averages, the other is that the missed time could have lowered actual production as a player gets back into game shape.

A relatively healthy Chytil in normal non-COVID seasons would have played significantly more and presumably had the time to develop more. A third year player getting into every game would be up to 246gp, while he's only at 186gp (-60gp) when including his 9 game cup of coffee back in 17/18.

If his production continues to improve along a similar rate, he would be looking at around ~50p full season next year.

Right, but those aren't high-end 2C numbers. When I talk about taking a big jump, I am basically measuring him against Strome. Hertl is good example/comparable if you look at his play year-to-year from his first full season:

2014-15: 0.38 P/GP (82 games)

2015-16: 0.57 P/GP (81 games)

2016-17: 0.45 P/GP (45 games)

2017-18: 0.58 P/GP (79 games)

--

2018-19: 0.96 P/GP (77 games)

It took him until his fifth year, but he took a massive step forward and followed it up with 0.75 and 0.86 P/GP seasons. Chytil can probably/maybe follow the same path?

Right, but those aren't high-end 2C numbers. When I talk about taking a big jump, I am basically measuring him against Strome. Hertl is good example/comparable if you look at his play year-to-year from his first full season:

--

It took him until his fifth year, but he took a massive step forward and followed it up with 0.75 and 0.86 P/GP seasons. Chytil can probably/maybe follow the same path?

I think it's unfair to expect CHytil to put up close to that when he'll still be on the third line while Hertl's numbers jumped when he went to the first line and first PP.

I think it's unfair to expect CHytil to put up close to that when he'll still be on the third line while Hertl's numbers jumped when he went to the first line and first PP.

Super interesting that we're apparently lining up to have an opening in our top 6 and pp1 coming up within a season then eh?

Sure, unless Chytil makes that jump in conjunction with a move up in the lineup. Easy to do if they don't keep Strome.

Super interesting that we're apparently lining up to have an opening in our top 6 and pp1 coming up within a season then eh?

ha, there are a bunch of factors, including players, performance and contracts.

Buchnevich, Zibanejad, Strome, are they trading a prospect wing?, are they adding something else, etc etc.

Chytil still needs to do work before he's considered for it.

With the skilled wingers they have, and if the top C's play their game, Chytil is a great option for a long-term 3C that can move up the lineup when necessary.

ha, there are a bunch of factors, including players, performance and contracts.

Buchnevich, Zibanejad, Strome, are they trading a prospect wing?, are they adding something else, etc etc.

Chytil still needs to do work before he's considered for it.

With the skilled wingers they have, and if the top C's play their game, Chytil is a great option for a long-term 3C that can move up the lineup when necessary.

Hey Josh, I'd love for that to happen, but I have a feeling that our boy Morgan Barron is gonna be a guy that makes a pretty big stride this year, just to make the "Arms race" at forward that much more competitive.

...hence, a GREAT "problem" to have!!! :thumbs:

--

Yes, but he had 163GP after those first two seasons, which is comparable to where Chytil is now after three. Under this measure, Chytil should have another couple of seasons to figure it out before breaking out. I think if Chytil continues to increase his production rate the next few seasons, he's going to be right in that 2C conversation. Of course, he needs to round out other areas of his game as well.

And keep in mind, my argument here is that we can look to fill a need (rugged C) who is a 2/3 to tandem with Chytil, covering Strome's production between them, while increasing depth.

Chytil is in a weird spot where he's shown marginal/good growth for a third-line center who doesn't get PP time, but we're not all that comfortable with the idea of moving him into the top-6 full-time, which limits his potential potential.

Yes, but he had 163GP after those first two seasons, which is comparable to where Chytil is now after three. Under this measure, Chytil should have another couple of seasons to figure it out before breaking out. I think if Chytil continues to increase his production rate the next few seasons, he's going to be right in that 2C conversation. Of course, he needs to round out other areas of his game as well.

And keep in mind, my argument here is that we can look to fill a need (rugged C) who is a 2/3 to tandem with Chytil, covering Strome's production between them, while increasing depth.

Right. It's basically where we all are. The task is to get tougher to play against, but not at the dramatic expense of Strome's production, or potentially at the future breakout of Chytil. You effectively have to remove one of the two in order to address the issue in the first place, but if you remove from the top (Strome), you're tasked with making sure the point production drop-off isn't sheer. If you remove from the bottom (Chytil), you run the risk of giving up a young, fairly cost-controlled player who could break out in future years.

One of the kids developing into a useful winger should take on a lot of that, too.

But right now, Strome 'aint broke'. And he hasnt been made expendable by the play of others.

Right. It's basically where we all are. The task is to get tougher to play against, but not at the dramatic expense of Strome's production, or potentially at the future breakout of Chytil. You effectively have to remove one of the two in order to address the issue in the first place, but if you remove from the top (Strome), you're tasked with making sure the point production drop-off isn't sheer. If you remove from the bottom (Chytil), you run the risk of giving up a young, fairly cost-controlled player who could break out in future years.

They'll naturally get tougher to play against when they stop Quinns sprinting everywhere. Just filling skating and passing lanes, big body centers you constantly have to battle through or skate around.

Instead of Chytil sprinting everywhere, he'll be taking on stride to the right and force opponents to fight through him or go around him. Last few seasons, they just abandon the area to sprint elsewhere.

They'll naturally get tougher to play against when they stop Quinns sprinting everywhere. Just filling skating and passing lanes, big body centers you constantly have to battle through or skate around.

Instead of Chytil sprinting everywhere, he'll be taking on stride to the right and force opponents to fight through him or go around him. Last few seasons, they just abandon the area to sprint elsewhere.

I am glad you could figure out Quinns system because I couldnt (and I think half the Rangers couldnt either)

I am glad you could figure out Quinns system because I couldnt (and I think half the Rangers couldnt either)

I always called it "Make mistakes faster"

Spooner is the one that complained about the sprint everywhere expectation.

One of the kids developing into a useful winger should take on a lot of that, too.

But right now, Strome 'aint broke'. And he hasnt been made expendable by the play of others.

Right, and that's Chytil's "problem." He's probably not going to take the big jump forward in production because he's directly blocked from the key components that would enable him to — namely PP time.

I always called it "Make mistakes faster"

Spooner is the one that complained about the sprint everywhere expectation.

Yea I remember him saying something about it. I am a fan of uptempo and high pressure systems but the Rangers aren't built for that.

Yea I remember him saying something about it. I am a fan of uptempo and high pressure systems but the Rangers aren't built for that.
Spooner is also not in the NHL (has that in common with Josh!) after flaming out playing on the worst team in the league where he was gifted ice time with the best player in the league.

Spooner is also not in the NHL (has that in common with Josh!) after flaming out playing on the worst team in the league where he was gifted ice time with the best player in the league.

I’m taking his word over bloggers getting “insight” on Twitter