• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Ryan Strome: Good, Actually

Phil

The only problem they have is that they won't be able to keep Strome after next year when his contract is up. And then the bigger issue is who steps in at that second line spot?

You have time to figure that out. Use it. It could be Chytil, it could be someone else. They could very well have the room if they don't trade for Eichel, or Zibanejad doesn't completely break their bank, etc. It might be Chytil. We really don't know yet.

You have time to figure that out. Use it. It could be Chytil, it could be someone else. They could very well have the room if they don't trade for Eichel, or Zibanejad doesn't completely break their bank, etc. It might be Chytil. We really don't know yet.

They basically only have a year to figure it out. They need to know by next trade deadline.

They basically only have a year to figure it out. They need to know by next trade deadline.

This offseason will be very telling around the league when it comes to contracts. Quite frankly, thr money just isn't there lime normal league wide. There's a decent chance players sign undervalued contracts and take a little less in favor of term and security. Rangers probably will be smart enough to start negotiating with both ziny and Strome before next season is over and get might be lucky enough to get a slight discount.

Yup. And therein lies the dilemma. His value very likely won't get higher. Only lower from here. Does anyone think he will be a PPG player next year? He will also be a rental if we cannot keep him. The plan was never for him to be a part of the core. Kudos to Strome for making that a possibility at all, but when push comes to shove, some tough calls will have to be made.

It will be bad asset management if they either do not commit to Strome or risk devaluation by holding onto him for another year before losing him to UFA for nothing (or less return as a trade rental if they are not a playoff team).

• Like 1

Yup. And therein lies the dilemma. His value very likely won't get higher. Only lower from here. Does anyone think he will be a PPG player next year? He will also be a rental if we cannot keep him. The plan was never for him to be a part of the core. Kudos to Strome for making that a possibility at all, but when push comes to shove, some tough calls will have to be made.

It will be bad asset management if they either do not commit to Strome or risk devaluation by holding onto him for another year before losing him to UFA for nothing (or less return as a trade rental if they are not a playoff team).

He's answered the bell three years in a row when the question of "can he keep this up" continually comes up.

He's still young. Same age as Zibanejad.. Why can't he be part of the core? Why wasn't he supposed to be part of the plan? He's done nothing but produce since he got here. He's been on an affordable contract and is still in his prime years.

This dude has fought an uphill battle with nay sayers, and is a PPG player. The thought that it was all Panarin should be wiped from thoughts, since he missed a month.

Strome is your ideal 2nd line center. Especially at how much you can probably continue to pay him. He's producing. He also has the most chemistry with our top offensive talent. Why break that up?

I said it at the start of the season . The Rangers sure could be a little bit better if they can get a steady scorer or some muscle on the opposite wing of Panarin. Here we are, months later and we have Blackwell in that spot... Not Kakko, not Gauthier, not Lafreniere, not Kreider on the off wing. Not Chytil. AHL lifer Blackwell gets the most looks there. Not one consistent try with anyone. Imagine a mainstay with a complimentary skillet on that line. We supposedly have all this talent on wing, but we can't find a guy to play with our PPG center and elite scorer? WTF? How isn't that figured out yet?

My thoughts of a Corey Perry type to fill a depth role and eventually if necessary slot up to such a spot would have been perfect.

Now with Kravstov on the roster, we will see more and more young talent forced to the bottom lines, and more and more of Blackwell, Howden and Rooney slotting up for that RW spot. No way Quinn will give Kakko that opportunity for long.

For all the forward talent we have and all the line juggling Quinn does, he has not made any attempts to put Lafreniere or Kakko in a top six role for very long. I don't see how he will do so for Kravstov.

Point? Need to settle on a RW for Strome and Panarin. Quinn needs to stop trying to make these kids into Jesper Fasts. Put them out there to do what they do best. Which is supposed to be scoring goals.

He's answered the bell three years in a row when the question of "can he keep this up" continually comes up.

He's still young. Same age as Zibanejad.. Why can't he be part of the core? Why wasn't he supposed to be part of the plan? He's done nothing but produce since he got here. He's been on an affordable contract and is still in his prime years.

This dude has fought an uphill battle with nay sayers, and is a PPG player. The thought that it was all Panarin should be wiped from thoughts, since he missed a month.

Strome is your ideal 2nd line center. Especially at how much you can probably continue to pay him. He's producing. He also has the most chemistry with our top offensive talent. Why break that up?

He has answered the bell. That's why we are even having the discussion about potentially keeping him. This is his first year sniffing PPG status though, and this level of production is new for him. I do not think it is reasonable to assume he will keep up this pace because of one half season of doing it. He very well could, but in my opinion is probably more likely to fall back between 50-60 points.

They got him for Ryan Spooner in a fringe player for fringe player (at the time) type deal. He was a 35 point player for years. I just meant the Rangers didn't make that deal expecting him to push to be a part of the core. They still didn't view him as part of the core moving forward, as recently as this past offseason, or they would have locked him in for much longer than a 2 year deal.

What are you willing to pay Strome on his next contract, after next season? Kevin Hayes, a 55 point player, got a 7 year deal at a little more than 7M per 2 summers ago. You giving that to Strome?

He has answered the bell. That's why we are even having the discussion about potentially keeping him. This is his first year sniffing PPG status though, and this level of production is new for him. I do not think it is reasonable to assume he will keep up this pace because of one half season of doing it. He very well could, but in my opinion is probably more likely to fall back between 50-60 points.

They got him for Ryan Spooner in a fringe player for fringe player (at the time) type deal. He was a 35 point player for years. I just meant the Rangers didn't make that deal expecting him to push to be a part of the core. They still didn't view him as part of the core moving forward, as recently as this past offseason, or they would have locked him in for much longer than a 2 year deal.

What are you willing to pay Strome on his next contract, after next season? Kevin Hayes, a 55 point player, got a 7 year deal at a little more than 7M per 2 summers ago. You giving that to Strome?

Just a little book keeping, Strome was a 40pt/yr player for the Isles and Rangers if we take out his best years as a Ranger and Edmonton, because...Edmonton. I don't really care what he did for terrible teams before he got here. He's done nothing other that perform since he got here, and he's performed under Quinn, so not sure why that gets disregarded so cavalierly. I know it's easy to say "He was a 35pt player" but that's just lazy and not looking into anything other than surface level.

Blake Wheeler was a 45 point player for Boston when he was traded to Atlanta with Mark Stuart for Rich Peverley and Boris Valabik. Now he's Winnipeg's Captain and wasn't a P/G player until 28. When they traded for him, I doubt Winnipeg thought he'd be part of their core, either.

When I see Braden Schenn and Derek Stepan and Paul Stastny making $6.5 and you're asking me if I would pay Strome $7, knowing Panarin and Kreider aren't going anywhere...Yea, I'd pay $7. But there's no evidence he's looking to break the bank.

Again, people just keep acting like he's not worth it, or a stop gap...But he just keeps proving he is worth it and he can play. And if you think he's a stop gap, who's replacing him? Because today, next season, and for the foreseeable future...it ain't Chytil.

People keep talking about lack of center depth, but then want to get rid of a productive center. Not really seeing that logic.

Well yeah, when they got him they definitely didn't know it was going to turn out this much in their favor. But last years continued solid numbers should have made them atleast THINK they finally fixed a broken player and that he could fit their core in various ways. Which he does. I wouldn't be so sure the 2 year deal was a sign of uncertainty. It definitely could have been. It reeks of a "show me" contract that fit the budget and wasn't an insult to the player. But we also don't know if it was a "I'll show you" signing by the player. Not locking himself into a deal that he may be better than.. Which as we are seeing,.... he is.

Strome at 7 mill isn't that scary considering what teams pay now days. And with the flat cap, I think players will be forced to take less money as teams may not spend like they used to prior to Covid. The MOST Strome is likely to get is in that 7 mill range. Which he will deserve. It's not like there are many options coming up through the system to make the choice easier. Nor are there many interesting free agents that I know of off hand, that I'd rather pay...

If Chytil had a better season, this conversation might be a little different. He started off really good, but since coming back from Covid or what ever his issue was, he hasn't been as electric.

Now, if the Rangers land Eichel this may change. Maybe not. I'd be awesome having the 1-2 punch of Eichel and Zib. But Eichel and Strome doesn't look too bad either.. Even better if you convert Zib back to wing and have HIM be the guy to play on the RW of Panarin. Orrr since Buch likely goes in the trade, he plays along side Eichel..

Just a little book keeping, Strome was a 40pt/yr player for the Isles and Rangers if we take out his best years as a Ranger and Edmonton, because...Edmonton. I don't really care what he did for terrible teams before he got here. He's done nothing other that perform since he got here, and he's performed under Quinn, so not sure why that gets disregarded so cavalierly. I know it's easy to say "He was a 35pt player" but that's just lazy and not looking into anything other than surface level.

Blake Wheeler was a 45 point player for Boston when he was traded to Atlanta with Mark Stuart for Rich Peverley and Boris Valabik. Now he's Winnipeg's Captain and wasn't a P/G player until 28. When they traded for him, I doubt Winnipeg thought he'd be part of their core, either.

When I see Braden Schenn and Derek Stepan and Paul Stastny making $6.5 and you're asking me if I would pay Strome $7, knowing Panarin and Kreider aren't going anywhere...Yea, I'd pay $7. But there's no evidence he's looking to break the bank.

Again, people just keep acting like he's not worth it, or a stop gap...But he just keeps proving he is worth it and he can play. And if you think he's a stop gap, who's replacing him? Because today, next season, and for the foreseeable future...it ain't Chytil.

People keep talking about lack of center depth, but then want to get rid of a productive center. Not really seeing that logic.

I don't know what you mean by "not looking into anything other than surface level". It was quite evident he only had one good year with the Isles and was a 35 point guy every other year up until he got here. He was objectively bad and come so far under expectations. I won't argue that point any further because I agree it doesn't matter too much anymore. Even with a regression from this year, he will still be much better than the player he was with other teams. I was making the late bloomer argument when it came to Buchnevich in the thread on him, so I could absolutely see the same situation playing out with Strome here.

For the record, I didn't say I wouldn't pay Strome. I agree the center depth in the prospect pool is not good, and Chytil can't be trusted. I would give Strome the contract on the condition that Eichel is too expensive in a trade. I would give Buffalo my best offer and if they turned it down I would move on and lock up Strome. If it costs $7M over 5 or 6 years, then that's what it costs. It does mean Buchnevich is out though, which sucks, but I think you have to prioritize the center position.

Well yeah, when they got him they definitely didn't know it was going to turn out this much in their favor. But last years continued solid numbers should have made them atleast THINK they finally fixed a broken player and that he could fit their core in various ways. Which he does. I wouldn't be so sure the 2 year deal was a sign of uncertainty. It definitely could have been. It reeks of a "show me" contract that fit the budget and wasn't an insult to the player. But we also don't know if it was a "I'll show you" signing by the player. Not locking himself into a deal that he may be better than.. Which as we are seeing,.... he is.

Strome at 7 mill isn't that scary considering what teams pay now days. And with the flat cap, I think players will be forced to take less money as teams may not spend like they used to prior to Covid. The MOST Strome is likely to get is in that 7 mill range. Which he will deserve. It's not like there are many options coming up through the system to make the choice easier. Nor are there many interesting free agents that I know of off hand, that I'd rather pay...

If Chytil had a better season, this conversation might be a little different. He started off really good, but since coming back from Covid or what ever his issue was, he hasn't been as electric.

Now, if the Rangers land Eichel this may change. Maybe not. I'd be awesome having the 1-2 punch of Eichel and Zib. But Eichel and Strome doesn't look too bad either.. Even better if you convert Zib back to wing and have HIM be the guy to play on the RW of Panarin. Orrr since Buch likely goes in the trade, he plays along side Eichel..

I don't know what's up with Chytil. I thought the same thing. He could certainly grow into it, but appears to be a ways away yet. Might see him shift to RW with a responsible 3C brought in...who knows.

I can totally buy into the idea of Strome being part of the core; he has truly earned that consideration over the last 2? seasons.

What I can't get my head around, around is that if you are willing to invest 7 million/year into him(and to me the real issue is term not salary; just like Kreider), shouldn't you see what he can do when he is not riding shotgun with Panarin? All of this long shot playoff chase conversation(which I believe is healthy for the team) aside, I think this is a perfect opportunity to put Chytil between Panarin and Blackwell; actually Buch might even make more sense as a RW on that line if you are mixing things up.

For anyone who says that Chytil hasn't had a great season, he is tracking at a 44 point pace over an 82 game season, which is a quantum leap over his previous two almost full seasons.

Experimenting with Chytil for a game or three would kill two birds by letting you know just how much Strome may be worth 7 million, and give you a much better idea of what you have in Chytil.

Last I read, I don't remember the exact numbers, but it said something like Strome had 32 points and 18 of them did not involve Panarin.

I don't see what the difference is though. It's not like we don't have Panarin. He plays for us too. Strome is great with Panarin, so great because we have Strome and Panarin. People act like it's a detriment that he has exceptional chemistry with his teammate and one of our best players. If every player went off just because they were playing with Panarin then Jasper Fast would have gotten $5 mil a year and Kakko would have racked up points in the past couple weeks.

Last I read, I don't remember the exact numbers, but it said something like Strome had 32 points and 18 of them did not involve Panarin.

I don't see what the difference is though. It's not like we don't have Panarin. He plays for us too. Strome is great with Panarin, so great because we have Strome and Panarin. People act like it's a detriment that he has exceptional chemistry with his teammate and one of our best players. If every player went off just because they were playing with Panarin then Jasper Fast would have gotten $5 mil a year and Kakko would have racked up points in the past couple weeks.

I don't think his production is necessarily tied to Panarin, Strome did continue to score when Panarin took his personal leave. What I was more intimating was: A) Can Strome help elevate player's games like Lafrenaire and Kravtsov more than Chytil can at this point in their careers and B) We all know how important developing confidence is for younger players. Doesn't it make a degree of sense to see if Panarin can help raise Chytil's game a little bit the way that he did for Strome?

I don't think his production is necessarily tied to Panarin, Strome did continue to score when Panarin took his personal leave. What I was more intimating was: A) Can Strome help elevate player's games like Lafrenaire and Kravtsov more than Chytil can at this point in their careers and B) We all know how important developing confidence is for younger players. Doesn't it make a degree of sense to see if Panarin can help raise Chytil's game a little bit the way that he did for Strome?

Considering Strome produced with Kreider as well, it's safe to say at this point that he raised his own game to the level of his linemates.

• 3 months later...
G1000 just proposed this off the board: would Strome take a deal similar to RNH –- say $5M x 8? If so, how do you turn that down?

So long as there's not a NMC, I'm fine with it. Because RNH's deal will certainly be ugly at the end, just as Strome's would be. 8 years is a long ass time.

So long as there's not a NMC, I'm fine with it. Because RNH's deal will certainly be ugly at the end, just as Strome's would be. 8 years is a long ass time.

If it keeps his AAV down, I give him 8 with an NMC to age 34.

Over the last 3 seasons, he's been a .7 ppg player - putting him in line with Brock Nelson, Vincent Trocheck, Kevin Hayes, William Karlsson, and Brayden Schenn.

Over the last 2 seasons, he's been a .86 PPG player - that's in line with....Ryan Nugent Hopkins, Jonathon Toews, Mat Barzal, and Tomas Hertl.

Strome doesn't play a style that should wear on him. He's always going to have finishers with our depth on the wings. 5.2m/y isn't backbreaking, and by the time he's on the decline, he'll represent less than 6% of cap, his contract will have paid out much more than the cap balance, and he'll be quite tradeable.