• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Ryan Strome: Good, Actually

Phil

3 minutes ago, Karan said:

So are we back to expecting Strome to produce like a $9 million center but still wanting to pay him like a $6 million one? Dude's been okay. Gotta give him benefit of doubt coming out of COVID, and Panarin still isn't back to his 20-21 form either, and the two really thrive of each other.

He was flying before he went out.  Now, he's never the first man in, and he's gassing quickly.

• Thanks 1

Been thinking recently. This team is supposed to go to the playoffs this year. I think they should. This is the start of their "window" if you believe in such a thing. 

Is Ryan Strome the 2C that's gonna get this team to win its next Stanley Cup? Because that's what we're starting to plan for next. Strome will likely be looking for 6x6 so are we confident in saying, yes, Strome is a Cup-winning 2C?

I'm not sure if he is. I'm not sure if a 1/2 punch of Mika and Strome is good enough. It certainly doesn't stack up to the previous cup winners. I wonder if resigning Strome because "there's no better option" isn't just being uncreative. They still have a million assets. They still have a logjam of players and limited spaces to put them. 

IMO, they still need an Eichel-style trade to make them anything more than an 8th seed. 

1 hour ago, ThirtyONE said:

Been thinking recently. This team is supposed to go to the playoffs this year. I think they should. This is the start of their "window" if you believe in such a thing. 

Is Ryan Strome the 2C that's gonna get this team to win its next Stanley Cup? Because that's what we're starting to plan for next. Strome will likely be looking for 6x6 so are we confident in saying, yes, Strome is a Cup-winning 2C?

I'm not sure if he is. I'm not sure if a 1/2 punch of Mika and Strome is good enough. It certainly doesn't stack up to the previous cup winners. I wonder if resigning Strome because "there's no better option" isn't just being uncreative. They still have a million assets. They still have a logjam of players and limited spaces to put them. 

IMO, they still need an Eichel-style trade to make them anything more than an 8th seed. 

No, there are enough things wrong with this team, don't mess what what isn't wrong. Fix the right side wingers, the left side defense, and the backup.

Then, if you still think it's a problem...That's when you start to tinker.

1 hour ago, ThirtyONE said:

We discussed a lot over the summer. It's not 1 individual C. It's that Zibanejad strome Chytil down the middle, as a trio, seems to lack a bit. No shutdown guy, no physical presence, no balls.

Together, there's some unchecked boxes that seem to be key come playoff time. 

37 minutes ago, Pete said:

No, there are enough things wrong with this team, don't mess what what isn't wrong. Fix the right side wingers, the left side defense, and the backup.

Then, if you still think it's a problem...That's when you start to tinker.

Certainly not something to panic about. Strome and Chytil combing for 2 ES points on the season is a flag, but one I anticipate being resolved, naturally. 

I think that 3 spot is a bigger issue than Strome. Love Chytis but the impatience is coming back.

22 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I agree the problem isn't Strome.  Its that all 3 of them are soft.  

I agree. So, something has to change, no? 

I'm not saying Strome sucks but this team isn't going to win anything with the 3 centers they currently have. Mika is here for 8 more years so that leaves two other places to make changes. Does Mika + Strome excite you for 6 more years? Even if they flip Chytil for someone, are you excited about that 1/2 punch?

I don't think I am.

Isn't that why they added grit elsewhere?

I feel like we're making a problem where there isn't one. 40G 1C and 70PT 2C and people are worried about that?

I didn't see anyone thinking Bergeron and Krejci were soft. Caps won a Cup with Backstrom and Kuznetsov down the middle. Blues won with a Byng nominee as their 1C.

I just don't see the concern, TBH. Upgrade Chytil with a prototypical 3C and you're good. 

• Like 2

I know the Habs just picked up Dvorak but they're a sinking ship. I wonder if he'd be available. 

Chytil was great last night too, you know? Maybe there is some upside there. But grit isn't hitting or fighting, it's being hard to play against. None of our current centers are hard to play against. I can look past it with Mika because he's gifted offensively but the Rangers were dead last in faceoffs last year. They're dead last again this year. Aside from Chytil last night, their centers are all perimeter players.

I just don't think that's a recipe for success. 

Edited by ThirtyONE
  • Cheers 1

Dvorak is much of the same. Same with Hertl, who the he'll else did we mention this summer... Monahan, 

My top trade targets, if they can get them cheap[er than they probably should] and with retention Toews for C, R Smith for W, and..... as a whatever you need guy, JT Miller. Ewww fuck

On 11/6/2021 at 10:40 AM, josh said:

Dvorak is much of the same. Same with Hertl, who the he'll else did we mention this summer... Monahan, 

My top trade targets, if they can get them cheap[er than they probably should] and with retention Toews for C, R Smith for W, and..... as a whatever you need guy, JT Miller. Ewww fuck

You know who'd be a really nice utility player right now? Namestnikov.

56 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Unfortunately, Yzerman just loaned him out for a bit, and collected the assets, but Detroit is arguably just as advanced in tbe rebuild as we are. 

His problem in with the Rangers was perspective. They saw him as something he wasn't.

Eh, the problem was the Rangers sucked and were beginning to tear it down. He didn't want to be here. Requested a trade out.