• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Adam Fox: Norris Candidate? Adam Fox: Norris Candidate!

Phil

ADA PP points per 60 minutes last year: 5.45

Fox PP points per 60 minutes this year: 7.14

Fox has a little higher time because they average 3.66 PPs per game this year compared to 3.24 last year. I'd also argue that Fox gets 'extra' pp time because he's better at keeping the puck in than ADA. Fox is far more efficient with his PP time. The longer PP1 maintains possession, the longer they stay out, the less time PP2 gets.

The PP sucked early in the year because Zib couldn't score. The PP was 10th during the month of March where Zib has shot the puck much better.

I think Fox gets more pp time because he’s on the team and ADA isn’t. There just isn’t another option whatsoever right now.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're splitting hairs here. Both are good pp players. Having ADA would help as you would have another pp weapon. Kind of pick your pleasure when describing the two's abilities in running a pp. No-one is comparing the two as complete players as there is no comparison. Offensively there is something to compare.

This. No one in their right mind would ever entertain a swap of Fox for ADA or anything. One is a complete player and the other is ADA. But that doesn’t mean our pp or offense wouldn’t improve having both options. ADA didn’t just stumble his way into his offensive production. But whatever. What’s done is done.

I think Fox gets more pp time because he’s on the team and ADA isn’t. There just isn’t another option whatsoever right now.

When Fox missed a game because of the covid protocol, it was terrible watching Trouba try to man the point on the powerplay. That's the other option and it's frightening.

You're splitting hairs here. Both are good pp players. Having ADA would help as you would have another pp weapon. Kind of pick your pleasure when describing the two's abilities in running a pp. No-one is comparing the two as complete players as there is no comparison. Offensively there is something to compare.

My point is the PP's struggles (and total offense really) were a result of Zib struggling.

Fox is sitting at 15 PP points in 31 games with Zib scoring .22 pp points per game.

ADA had 19 in 68 with Zib scoring .47 pp points per game.

If Zib didn't have such a bad start, Fox would likely be leading all Dmen in PP points. (Hedman is at 19)

I think Ryan Lindgren is trying to show he's not just a one-dimensional or stay at home type Dman. He's gotten himself into some nice plays but is snake bitten. Do you think it would be annoying to be put into Fox's shadow? I do think Lindgren has another level to his game. I think he could handle pp2 better then Trouba has at any rate.

I have a game tonight with Goodey.

He made a guy fall down the other night from a move he made.

He's still got it, eh?? LOL

When Fox missed a game because of the covid protocol, it was terrible watching Trouba try to man the point on the powerplay. That's the other option and it's frightening.

I'd like to see Miller hook into that spot...he's got that in his game, I think...he just needs to use it more...but he's learning so patience with him...but I think he'd be THAT guy.

I think Ryan Lindgren is trying to show he's not just a one-dimensional or stay at home type Dman. He's gotten himself into some nice plays but is snake bitten. Do you think it would be annoying to be put into Fox's shadow? I do think Lindgren has another level to his game. I think he could handle pp2 better then Trouba has at any rate.

I do as well, Browny! I like Lindgren's game..he's got more in the arsenal of weapons, and I think we'll see it as he progresses too.

Yeah, he's 11th in the league in assists with a bit more than a lot of really good players. So much fun to watch.

Hey Sharpy, think of all the assists he missed out on with these guys missing the net, and Zibby's cold streak!!!

When this team gets cooking, and these kids start to REALLY find their way, I have a feeling Fox is going to be #1 in the league in a lot of things....maybe even wear a letter.

Hey Sharpy, think of all the assists he missed out on with these guys missing the net, and Zibby's cold streak!!!

When this team gets cooking, and these kids start to REALLY find their way, I have a feeling Fox is going to be #1 in the league in a lot of things....maybe even wear a letter.

Yeah, despite all of that he actually has as many assists as MacKinnon does. This team is pretty much set on the blueline for a long time. Now it's just a matter of getting the young forwards going and on the same page. Mika has been showing signs of life which is obviously huge. We'll see what exactly they do with Krav.

I didn't even notice that he's tied with Mac in assists!!!!! I watch the Avs almost every time they're on, and that guy is a PLAYER. Just seeing that, is outright amazing! I consider MacKinnon one of the best in the league, and I hope in 3 years the Rangers take a poke at him in free agency. He'll be 28 when his current contract expires.

But Fox was the guy I never expected. I read all kinds of stuff about K'Andre, and even he surprised me with how much he's progressed this year!!!

I think Fox is that special player you need to win a championship. He's definitely a keeper!

https://theathletic.com/2479959/2021/03/29/is-rangers-defenseman-adam-fox-turning-into-brian-leetch-2-0-leetch-1-0-weighs-in/?source=emp_shared_article&redirected=1

But the Leetch comps are less in the stats than in the way Fox gets the job done. The short passes under pressure. The sureness of getting pucks out of the zone and into the hands of forwards. The calmness everywhere, including on the power-play point. Fox, at 5-foot-11, plays at a similar size as did Leetch, who was listed at 6-feet but maybe a shade under. Certainly muscle isn’t part of either’s game, but skating very much is, along with top-shelf skill. They both defend better than a lot of elite-level offensive defensemen. Both are on the ice in all situations: power play, penalty kill, down a goal late, up a goal late. Like Leetch, whose ability to recover and get back on the ice was remarkable,

Good description on how both Leetch and Fox play.

Hedman is a shade ahead of Jeff Petry and Morgan Rielly, two very productive rearguards for Canadian teams who are also playing extremely well at five-on-five. Petry has a 58 percent expected goals rate and even better 62 percent actual goals rate — both of which are second on the team to only his frequent partners, Brett Kulak and Joel Edmundson. Rielly has often been shunned for his sketchy defense, but his game has really blossomed playing with T.J. Brodie. He leads the Leafs in expected goals percentage at 57 percent, with an equally strong 59 percent actual goals rate, and that’s in tough minutes. None of Hedman, Petry or Rielly are used in a matchup role, but of the three, Rielly’s minutes have been the toughest.

Neither appears to be on the level of Adam Fox, though, who is the current runaway leader by GSVA. Fox is only four points off of Hedman, but analytically speaking, there’s more than enough to bridge that gap. For starters, he plays the fourth-toughest minutes in the league by forward competition, behind only Vancouver’s shutdown pair and Nikita Zaitsev. Despite that, Fox has an absurd 59 percent expected goals rate, which comfortably leads the Rangers. Aside from his partner, only Jacob Trouba, at 50 percent, isn’t in the negatives. Again, that’s in not only tough minutes but also arguably some of the toughest minutes in the league. It’s a shame that the Norris Trophy often comes down to reputation, where Hedman’s name is already written in pen and Fox will have to wait his turn. He’s been special this season.

https://theathletic.com/2486636/2021/03/31/nhl-awards-watch-should-mcdavid-and-draisaitl-both-be-up-for-the-hart-trophy/