• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS] (#29) Rangers @ Washington Capitals // 10 Goals or Bust

I didn't see Gretzky and Lemieux play in their primes, although still great obviously, Ovechkin is the best player I've seen in my lifetime.

Sharpy, Gretzky in his prime was more of a magical spectacle to watch than anyone. Back in the day, when Edmonton came to MSG once or twice a season, and it was "must see" type hockey. He would get behind the opposition net, (his office), and players could simply not get him off the puck. They couldn't catch him when he entered the zone either; he'd loop and turn and could evade just about everyone on the ice. He could make passes that found guys across the ice that the naked eye couldn't even spot from the stands. The guy was absolutely magical to watch. ...and you couldn't hate him, because he was just so awe inspiring fantastic.

Mario was awesome too, but a little different in his approach; Mario had a tremendous shot, and could score from EVERYWHERE. He killed the Rangers back in the late 80's and early 90's. Mario took a little bit more of a beating in his career than Gretzky though. Wayne could evade players with his ability to make cuts that most humans can't. Mario was 6' 6" and could actually dole out some good punishment for a skilled forward, especially in front of the net.

I always admired Mario's ability, and he was pretty much a one-man-team out there at times, but I'd hate when we had to go up against them in the playoffs. He absolutely was the death of Vanbiesbrouck during his time. We had no answer for Mario, not that many teams did, but he was another magical player from that era that was also a "must see".

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't see Gretzky and Lemieux play in their primes, although still great obviously, Ovechkin is the best player I've seen in my lifetime.

I have to agree. I'm just a hair too young to have seen prime Gretzky or appreciated prime Lemieux, but good god, Alexander Ovechkin is just...wow.

The only other player I think came close is Bure. Bure was just electric.

Sharpy, Gretzky in his prime was more of a magical spectacle to watch than anyone. Back in the day, when Edmonton came to MSG once or twice a season, and it was "must see" type hockey. He would get behind the opposition net, (his office), and players could simply not get him off the puck. They couldn't catch him when he entered the zone either; he'd loop and turn and could evade just about everyone on the ice. He could make passes that found guys across the ice that the naked eye couldn't even spot from the stands. The guy was absolutely magical to watch. ...and you couldn't hate him, because he was just so awe inspiring fantastic.

Mario was awesome too, but a little different in his approach; Mario had a tremendous shot, and could score from EVERYWHERE. He killed the Rangers back in the late 80's and early 90's. Mario took a little bit more of a beating in his career than Gretzky though. Wayne could evade players with his ability to make cuts that most humans can't. Mario was 6' 6" and could actually dole out some good punishment for a skilled forward, especially in front of the net.

I always admired Mario's ability, and he was pretty much a one-man-team out there at times, but I'd hate when we had to go up against them in the playoffs. He absolutely was the death of Vanbiesbrouck during his time. We had no answer for Mario, not that many teams did, but he was another magical player from that era that was also a "must see".

Mario I always hated. Both him and Gretz were divers but Mario was just so big, it was even more sickening. Haaaaarred Mario. Was still an amazing player though.

I agree about Gretz. He was larger than the game.he just played a totally different game than anyone else on the ice. When he was out there, it almost felt like he had already DVRd the game, watched it 10 times to memorize every sequence, then was just to anticipate what he knew was going to happen and flip the whole thing around. It was wild. Never saw it before nor ever since. Still always remember being about 11 years old and just having my eyes glued to him when my dad would take me to see him when he was in town.

Sometimes we downplay that era because now everyone is bigger, faster, stronger. Goalie equipment is better. Harder to score. No one was smarter though. No one thought the game 5 steps ahead like that really. We look back now and take for granted going behind the net and using the goal itself as an office to pass from in front because it’s common place. Or going into space rather than just puck chasing. Or coming down and seeing the goalie way out of his crease so faking the shot, going around, and just slotting it into a vacated net. But no one did stuff like that. That was all invented by Gretzky.

It was awesome watching Gretzky play here his last few years. Of course he was older and nearing the end of his career, but he was still really good. The '97 team that made the EC finals was so much fun. He even put up over 90 points the following year on a really bad team that was a shell of itself after Messier left. That was a disaster, and I felt badly for him then. Messier being here was a obviously a big reason he signed, he leaves, and he's just kind of alone on some stinkers. But, it was still cool nonetheless and I'm really glad it happened.

Mario I always hated. Both him and Gretz were divers but Mario was just so big, it was even more sickening. Haaaaarred Mario. Was still an amazing player though.

I agree about Gretz. He was larger than the game.he just played a totally different game than anyone else on the ice. When he was out there, it almost felt like he had already DVRd the game, watched it 10 times to memorize every sequence, then was just to anticipate what he knew was going to happen and flip the whole thing around. It was wild. Never saw it before nor ever since. Still always remember being about 11 years old and just having my eyes glued to him when my dad would take me to see him when he was in town.

Sometimes we downplay that era because now everyone is bigger, faster, stronger. Goalie equipment is better. Harder to score. No one was smarter though. No one thought the game 5 steps ahead like that really. We look back now and take for granted going behind the net and using the goal itself as an office to pass from in front because it’s common place. Or going into space rather than just puck chasing. Or coming down and seeing the goalie way out of his crease so faking the shot, going around, and just slotting it into a vacated net. But no one did stuff like that. That was all invented by Gretzky.

I remember getting my season tix and circling the Edmonton home games on the Rangers calendar. As much a fan as I am, I couldn't help but shake my head in disbelief as to what Gretz could do on the ice.

Yeah, Mario was a bit of a diver, and for a guy that's 6' 6" you'd expect him to be a tank...which he actually was. It must be a Penguin "thing", because Sid's the ultimate in divers!! My god, I think the last game I went to against the Pens, I got hit with his splash!

I remember getting my season tix and circling the Edmonton home games on the Rangers calendar. As much a fan as I am, I couldn't help but shake my head in disbelief as to what Gretz could do on the ice.

Yeah, Mario was a bit of a diver, and for a guy that's 6' 6" you'd expect him to be a tank...which he actually was. It must be a Penguin "thing", because Sid's the ultimate in divers!! My god, I think the last game I went to against the Pens, I got hit with his splash!

TMI Ozzy. Keep these things to yourself yeah?

There's a story about Gretsky's Dad coming in the room where a (very) young Wayne is watching a game with a legal pad on his lap, taking notes, sketching, etc. Dad says "What are you doing, son?"

Gretz says "See that Dad. When the puck goes over here it comes out there. And if that guy over here goes over there the puck goes right to him." I'm paraphrasing but that's the gist.

Back in the day, when Edmonton came to MSG once or twice a season, and it was "must see" type hockey.

I remember being at a game at the Garden in 1986, Doug Soetart's final game as a Ranger, where the Oilers simply toyed with us, spotting us to a 5-1 lead, before leisurely cruising to a 8-6 win, with Messier taking us apart. That was the Oilers at their peak.

I remember being at a game at the Garden in 1986, Doug Soetart's final game as a Ranger, where the Oilers simply toyed with us, spotting us to a 5-1 lead, before leisurely cruising to a 8-6 win, with Messier taking us apart. That was the Oilers at their peak.

I remember it well, Sod!! I think the only team that gave the Oilers trouble was Calgary. They had some real barn-burners back then!

The only one who can challenge to even enter Gretzky's stratosphere for me is Bobby Orr. It's a little like apples and oranges because they played different positions, but Orr had the same kind of ability to thread a pass or make a play that would make you scratch your head and go, "how the fuck...?"

Ovi reminds me a little of Phil Esposito in his prime, not with the big one timers but that he was so hard to move out of the slot and that his stick was so quick and sure when he got any opportunity in front.

I was very lucky to have seen Orr, Bobby Hull, Gordie Howe, Jean Beliveau, Gilbert Perreault, and other greats multiple times. But in the end, Gretzky had them all beat.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk