• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Could Rangers Bring Up Mason Geertsen for Pair of Upcoming Bruins Matchups?

Phil

2. The Bruins have left both physical and psychological imprints upon the Blueshirts through their first four confrontations, all of which were played in New York. Nick Ritchie barreled through the crease and elbowed Shesterkin in the head without retribution on Feb. 26 before he conveniently landed on Georgiev’s head two days later. Brendan Lemieux threw down with Ritchie at the buzzer of the Feb. 28 contest.

The B’s have targeted Ryan Lindgren and have been unafraid to flaunt their physicality against a Rangers team that just doesn’t have the necessities to match up in a survival-of-the-fittest.

So, is it a coincidence with a pair coming up in Boston on Thursday and Saturday, that the Blueshirts signed Mason Geertsen, a 25-year-old, 6-foot-4, 215-pound career minor league semi-hooligan who had been in Hartford on an AHL contract, to an NHL two-way deal last week and then moved him from defense to wing?

Could Geertsen — who has picked up 519 penalty minutes, 43 fighting majors and 55 points (7-48) in 317 pro games after having fought 34 times while playing junior in the WHL, according to Hockey Fights — be promoted for these games in order to act as a deterrent/avenger against the B’s?

Does that sort of thing even exist in this NHL? Would his presence and the element he brings to the rink cause the Bruins to think twice before continuing their marauding ways or would they instead feast? Would the Rangers go down that road?

https://nypost.com/2021/03/08/rangers-need-to-test-igor-shesterkins-limits-after-injury/

Brooks advocating for 1985 in 2021 is so on-brand. You cannot be a straight-up enforcer in today's game. The Bruins get this - play hard, play big, play tough. That's very different than "punch a guy in the face a few times and play 4 minutes".

I don't mind having a tough guy in the lineup....but this is the reason I question why we didn't pursue Matt Martin a little more before the season started.

I don't know anything about this guy, and I don't know if he can play at all, but his AHL stats are pretty shitty....

Just so ridiculous. Who? A defenseman-turned-winger?

Who does he play over? Lemieux? Does that really solve anything? Such a dumb idea.

A waste of time and a spot on the ice or more likely a game misconduct.

Agree with this. The fighting component is not lost in the game, but this plan seems short-sighted. I'd much rather have a 'stronger' team that can stand up to the challenges and are willing to push-back when needed. Short of outright battles, we cannot be a team that takes a hit, or gets run over with absolutely "0" response.

Geertsen is by no means terrible at the AHL level, he's actually a pretty solid defender and a better skater than you'd expect. That said, I don't see what purpose he has at the NHL level. His game won't really translate to anything useful at forward so unless Thanos snaps away half the defense corps I don't see him making an appearance.

Rangers can't wish away poor roster construction by bringing up a goon to try and make up for a lack of toughness. There isn't one guy on the Bruins who make them tough. It's a well thought out collection of players who have that game when they need to play it. The Rangers at some point are going to have to make some trades that they may lose on the talent end for the guy with higher competitive edge to their game.

Rangers can't wish away poor roster construction by bringing up a goon to try and make up for a lack of toughness. There isn't one guy on the Bruins who make them tough. It's a well thought out collection of players who have that game when they need to play it. The Rangers at some point are going to have to make some trades that they may lose on the talent end for the guy with higher competitive edge to their game.

Pretty sure they have one guys in mind. The one who elbowed Shesty in the head and then then fell on Geo's head in back to back games.

Pretty sure they have one guys in mind. The one who elbowed Shesty in the head and then then fell on Geo's head in back to back games.

Ritchie?

Forget the nonsense of bringing up a guy that couldn't make the NHL at his natural position. How about they maybe would of responded when those incidents happened real time or say next shift etc. Are they thinking he now jumps Ritchie and then goes and takes a shower after a 20 second shift and 17 mins in penalties. Most likely firing up the Bruins pp to score a couple of goals like it did for them a couple games back in a similar situation after a big fight.