• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

David Quinn is "Sweating profusely," in ESPN+ Head Coaching Hot Seat Heat Index

Phil

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another reason I think Quinn will be fired at season's end is that Gorton's job is also on the line here. You draft #7, #9, #2, and #1 in consecutive seasons and none of these players are making an impact on the team. One of them isn't even in the organization anymore.

The only young players who are achieving anything have developed outside the team or the organization all together (fox and miller spent 0 time in the rangers system before stepping into the lineup). The guys who the Rangers have "put their hands on" right away have underwhelmed in every sense.

If I'm Gorton, I have to fire Quinn to save face and hope someone else can get something out of these players. Otherwise, this looks like an absolute disaster where the Rangers can't decide if they're rebuilding or competing. You sign Panarin, Trouba, and Kreider while hiring a "developmental coach." That coach then feels like his job is to win so he rides those star players while the most important development pieces have fallen on their faces. On top of that, the team isn't even winning. Players like Blackwell are playing on the 2nd line because he gives the team a better chance to win (which is true), but if the team doesn't win anyway, who cares?

I don't think many people thought this team would make the playoffs but the games keep getting more frustrating instead of inspiring. I feel like DQ has been put in an impossible situation by management. Star players or star prospects? You focus on one, it's a massive waste of money. You focus on the other, it's a massive waste of top picks. I think it's quite obvious you can't do both at the same time.

Sadly, I have no hope for Kravstov at this point. I'm glad he's getting his chance, but I expect nothing more than a couple points from him this season. Until there is some kind of change, I don't know how this team improves. Four top ten picks. Four. And none of them have made an impact. There's something rotten here.

• Like 1

Another reason I think Quinn will be fired at season's end is that Gorton's job is also on the line here. You draft #7, #9, #2, and #1 in consecutive seasons and none of these players are making an impact on the team. One of them isn't even in the organization anymore.

This is an incredibly poignant point to highlight. Really, this alone is cause to fire a GM.

The only young players who are achieving anything have developed outside the team or the organization all together (fox and miller spent 0 time in the rangers system before stepping into the lineup). The guys who the Rangers have "put their hands on" right away have underwhelmed in every sense.

I don't think this is entirely accurate. There are other young players developing well, some who were drafted and brought through the pipeline, others who were acquired, but are ultimately still successful. I don't actually think it matters where you get young talent from, just that you make right more often than wrong with whoever you acquire. Lindgren (trade), Fox (trade), Buchnevich (drafted), Chytil (drafted), Miller (drafted), and Shesterkin (drafted) are all experiencing fairly successful careers thus far.

If I'm Gorton, I have to fire Quinn to save face and hope someone else can get something out of these players. Otherwise, this looks like an absolute disaster where the Rangers can't decide if they're rebuilding or competing. You sign Panarin, Trouba, and Kreider while hiring a "developmental coach." That coach then feels like his job is to win so he rides those star players while the most important development pieces have fallen on their faces. On top of that, the team isn't even winning. Players like Blackwell are playing on the 2nd line because he gives the team a better chance to win (which is true), but if the team doesn't win anyway, who cares?

I think you hit on this in your second sentence. There's a nasty pattern here of simply not getting nearly enough value out of your most important picks/young players.

I don't think many people thought this team would make the playoffs but the games keep getting more frustrating instead of inspiring. I feel like DQ has been put in an impossible situation by management. Star players or star prospects? You focus on one, it's a massive waste of money. You focus on the other, it's a massive waste of top picks. I think it's quite obvious you can't do both at the same time.

Sadly, I have no hope for Kravstov at this point. I'm glad he's getting his chance, but I expect nothing more than a couple points from him this season. Until there is some kind of change, I don't know how this team improves. Four top ten picks. Four. And none of them have made an impact. There's something rotten here.

Agreed.

I like to compare this to the leafs a few years ago when marner, kapanen, mathews, gardiner, et al first came up on that team. That first playoff series they had you looked at them play and were like, "wow, these guys are going to be legit in a few years".

Anyone feel that way watching our team? I don't.

Anyone think that mitch marner, kasperi kapanen, and auston mathews are better sum total during that time than kakko, lafreniere, fox, and miller? I don't either.

I wasn't on the fire quinn train but I don't think there's any other train to be on at this time. We have the personnel to be performing well above our current bar, and if we're not doing that, we have the personnel to develop on the ice, today. We're not doing that either. That's a coaching problem, and before we throw away what should be extremely valuable time, we need to get the right personnel behind the bench.

Defenseman are able to adjust to Quinn's hot potato system because that's how you grow up playing defense - throw the puck out of the zone.

The last few games, you can tell Joe M (especially), Vally and even Sam have been making certain remarks. Quinn stresses "Make Mistakes Faster!"... errr, I mean - Play Faster. Constantly. All the time he's yelling it and demanding it from his players. BUT, after Panarin's return - all the commentators talk about is how he slows down the game. He gets the puck on his stick, he waits, he stops, he prods along, not constantly sprinting or dumping the puck in. They are intentionally bringing up how successful Panarin is NOT playing Quinn's style.

The players successful under Quinn - Panarin, Strome (played great hockey off the puck with Panarin), DeAngelo - PP time and making smart decisions with the puck (no hot potato!), Fox slowly started holding the puck last season instead of hot potato. Want to know the biggest difference in Zibanejad's stats? PP. 3pts in 27 games vs 27pts in 56gmes last season when he played with Panarin and DeAngelo. Hell, Kreider should be a mad-man in Quinn's supposed system, but all his points are coming when he stands around the front of the net, not from his skating.

Andersson is a slower pace guy looking to distribute. Kakko is a slower paced, cerebral player. Lafreniere thrives when he gets the puck on his stick and slows down the game.

Chytil's highlights always come from breaks, not dump n chase hockey.

Namestnikov, Spooner, Zuccarello.

I've been repeating for years - these guys are sitting there trying to think the game instead of playing, and on top of that, theyre afraid to make mistakes, especially anyone not named Panarin, Zibanejad or Fox.

Defenseman are able to adjust to Quinn's hot potato system because that's how you grow up playing defense - throw the puck out of the zone.

The last few games, you can tell Joe M (especially), Vally and even Sam have been making certain remarks. Quinn stresses "Make Mistakes Faster!"... errr, I mean - Play Faster. Constantly. All the time he's yelling it and demanding it from his players. BUT, after Panarin's return - all the commentators talk about is how he slows down the game. He gets the puck on his stick, he waits, he stops, he prods along, not constantly sprinting or dumping the puck in. They are intentionally bringing up how successful Panarin is NOT playing Quinn's style.

The players successful under Quinn - Panarin, Strome (played great hockey off the puck with Panarin), DeAngelo - PP time and making smart decisions with the puck (no hot potato!), Fox slowly started holding the puck last season instead of hot potato. Want to know the biggest difference in Zibanejad's stats? PP. 3pts in 27 games vs 27pts in 56gmes last season when he played with Panarin and DeAngelo. Hell, Kreider should be a mad-man in Quinn's supposed system, but all his points are coming when he stands around the front of the net, not from his skating.

Andersson is a slower pace guy looking to distribute. Kakko is a slower paced, cerebral player. Lafreniere thrives when he gets the puck on his stick and slows down the game.

Chytil's highlights always come from breaks, not dump n chase hockey.

Namestnikov, Spooner, Zuccarello.

I've been repeating for years - these guys are sitting there trying to think the game instead of playing, and on top of that, theyre afraid to make mistakes, especially anyone not named Panarin, Zibanejad or Fox.

Yeah, this is something I didn't highlight but is absolutely true. And it reeks of a team that's trying to win instead of a team that's trying to develop. I mean look at Gauthier. The guy scored one of the best goals of the season last night. He has unbelievable raw talent but he's constantly out of the lineup for guys like Blackwell (who has been incredible, don't get me wrong, but has NO longer term value).

Shesterkin loses a game and he's replaced by a vastly subpar Georgiev. You know who had a system like this? My high school coach.

Last night Lafreniere looked very very bad. To me, it's no coincidence that all his points and his strongest play came from being on the same like with Mika and Buch for 9 straight games. Consistency is enormously important for young players and there is absolutely none on this team unless you're one of the three you mentioned.

The only players who get punished for mistakes are the young players. I get that they need to be defensively responsible but not everyone is a selke winner. Let them get some confidence at the NHL level, even if it means losing a fuck ton of games. Who cares if they win? They're 8 points out of the playoffs. It ain't happening.

This is an incredibly poignant point to highlight. Really, this alone is cause to fire a GM.

I don't think this is entirely accurate. There are other young players developing well, some who were drafted and brought through the pipeline, others who were acquired, but are ultimately still successful. I don't actually think it matters where you get young talent from, just that you make right more often than wrong with whoever you acquire. Lindgren (trade), Fox (trade), Buchnevich (drafted), Chytil (drafted), Miller (drafted), and Shesterkin (drafted) are all experiencing fairly successful careers thus far.

I think you hit on this in your second sentence. There's a nasty pattern here of simply not getting nearly enough value out of your most important picks/young players.

Agreed.

Laf and Kakko were consensus picks - any GM in the world would have picked them. Clearly not every coach in the world can develop them.

Andersson is the only clearly bad pick. You can't discuss picks that every one of the other 30 GMs would have made. I'm not, however, enamored of Gorton. Given three years to rebuild and bestowed two of his three best players, Panarin and Fox, simply for being the NY Rangers, the team is not where it should be.

I'll definitely give you Lindgren and Buch. Chytil is debatable. He has developed, but it's incremental and not massively above what you'd expect to happen from 19 years old to 21. I do think his 13 games this year have been very encouraging.

I don't think you can completely disregard where players came from when assessing a teams ability to develop talent though.

Shesterkin played over 100 KHL games, was widely seen as one of the better young goaltenders in the world and was 24 years old when he came here. It's tough to give the Rangers a lot of credit for his development, although they do get some for helping him adapt quickly. But that lands mostly at the feet of Allaire and his team and isn't really reflective of the Rangers ability to develop talent overall.

Miller came in from college and was great from the hop, virtually untouched by the Rangers. I'd also argue it's fair to say that after a massive rookie bounce in his first 10 games he's reverted to being a bit more of the project we thought he'd be. Apart from giving him a chance I'm not sure you can credit the Rangers all that much, at least for now.

I think it's similar-ish with Fox, in that he came in from college and looked a cut above from day 1. That's not to say the Rangers don't get any credit for him being the player he is today, but he was clearly very developed and NHL ready when he joined the team and I think it's fair to say Fox is so talented he would have been great anywhere. I'm certainly not convinced he is a beacon of the Rangers excellence in developing young talent, to put it that way.

How is it the organization gets no credit for Fox and Miller development?

Laf and Kakko played as many minor league games within the Rangers organization as Fox and Miller...

Smh..has nothing to do with Laf and Kakko being 2 and 3 years younger than Fox and Miller, who both played college hockey.

Lars Anderson was overdrafted and the Kings sent him down.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

How is it the organization gets no credit for Fox and Miller development?

Laf and Kakko played as many minor league games within the Rangers organization as Fox and Miller...

Smh..has nothing to do with Laf and Kakko being 2 and 3 years younger than Fox and Miller, who both played college hockey.

Lars Anderson was overdrafted and the Kings sent him down.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

They were inserted into the lineup at 21 years old and were ready to go. They spent no time with the Rangers until their first camp. Both "surprised" the staff with how good they were. But Fox specifically was traded for knowing he was ready to play in the NHL. So no, the Rangers get no credit because they only thing they did was leave Miller where he was - aka nothing.

Yes, Lafreniere and Kakko are younger but they're #1 and #2 overall. You expect those players to make an impact. Especially in their 2nd year. I'm not shitting on these players. I love them. All my hopes as a fan are riding on them. USUALLY when those players join the league they play top minutes for their shitty teams and are allowed to score goals and play their game. Rangers are both drafting #1OA and also trying to win when their roster doesn't agree with that strategy. Again, four top 10 picks in 4 years and none of them are contributing. You can spin it anyway you want, but that is alarming.

They were inserted into the lineup at 21 years old and were ready to go. They spent no time with the Rangers until their first camp. Both "surprised" the staff with how good they were. But Fox specifically was traded for knowing he was ready to play in the NHL. So no, the Rangers get no credit because they only thing they did was leave Miller where he was - aka nothing.

Yes, Lafreniere and Kakko are younger but they're #1 and #2 overall. You expect those players to make an impact. Especially in their 2nd year. I'm not shitting on these players. I love them. All my hopes as a fan are riding on them. USUALLY when those players join the league they play top minutes for their shitty teams and are allowed to score goals and play their game. Rangers are both drafting #1OA and also trying to win when their roster doesn't agree with that strategy. Again, four top 10 picks in 4 years and none of them are contributing. You can spin it anyway you want, but that is alarming.

This team is not winning dick this year. Put LAF and Kakko on either side of Chytil, give them 18+ minutes and night and PP time and see what they can do, period.

This team is not winning dick this year. Put LAF and Kakko on either side of Chytil, give them 18+ minutes and night and PP time and see what they can do, period.

Likewise, I'd love to see Hajek and Reunanen stay with the team, even when Fox returns, and play over Brendan Smith. Gotta see what you have before the summer.

Smith (even though I think he's been pretty solid this year) and Johnson out and Hajek and Reunanen in is a win.

I wouldn't hate it if they resigned Smith to a reasonable contract to be the 7th dman. But for the time being we should see what these other guys can do.

I wouldn't hate it if they resigned Smith to a reasonable contract to be the 7th dman. But for the time being we should see what these other guys can do.

I thought about this as well, 3-1, and it's a pretty good idea in my opinion. I always liked Smith as a player, but this current contract was pretty bad. I don't see him commanding a whole shit load of money after this contract anyplace else, so maybe we can get him for a few years on a more "cap friendly" contract.

Totally agree on dick.

But putting Laf and Kakko on either side of Chytil goes against the tide of they need to play top minutes with top talent to show what they've got. Honestly it hasn't mattered who they've played with up until now and putting them with a guy who hasn't proven to be a quality NHL center should stir the pot here even more if nothing else.