• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS] (#12) Rangers vs. Boston Bruins // Baxter vs the Bear

High and Wide

Let's take this from a coach's perspective.

You're in a tied game with 7 minutes remaining. Are you riding your top 6 trying to get that goal, or doling out ice time equitably?

Further, your top players who aren't hurt - Zib, Buch, Kakko, even Strome - are generating good chances. Again, are you going to think your top players are going to get you that goal, or are you thinking to lower your odds by getting your bottom 6 out there? When you hit that part of a pro game, your bottom 6 comes out for just enough to rest either your first or second line. No more, unless they've created a chance.

It looked like PDG and Laf took a few shifts in Panarin's spot. Even then, you want the rookie out there with 5 minutes left in the game and one mistake possibly meaning points lost in the standings? Nah. He's super talented, but you can't put that on Laf, or even Gauthier.

I'm not really sure where the complaint comes from here. Gauthier lost time to game script, for all intents and purposes.

I'm not really complaining in that post though am I? Just making the point that I didn't think the other posters were saying Gauthier necessarily gave us a bigger chance to win. But in fairness:

- Gauthier scored after 13:50 in the first period. If he wanted to give him more ice time he had two and a half period to make it happen, which seems like ample time to me. I'm not sure where 7 minutes comes into the equation.

- Yes, of course I want Lafreniere out there. He's one of the most important parts of the puzzle. He should be used in all situations as much as possible. I don't think I've seen him make a defensive mistake of note, so I'm not sure how much of a risk it is compared to PdG either. And if we're not playing him up in the lineup because we're trying to get wins we'd better get results. At that point the "we're still rebuilding" excuse is out the window for me.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's take this from a coach's perspective.

You're in a tied game with 7 minutes remaining. Are you riding your top 6 trying to get that goal, or doling out ice time equitably?

Further, your top players who aren't hurt - Zib, Buch, Kakko, even Strome - are generating good chances. Again, are you going to think your top players are going to get you that goal, or are you thinking to lower your odds by getting your bottom 6 out there? When you hit that part of a pro game, your bottom 6 comes out for just enough to rest either your first or second line. No more, unless they've created a chance.

It looked like PDG and Laf took a few shifts in Panarin's spot. Even then, you want the rookie out there with 5 minutes left in the game and one mistake possibly meaning points lost in the standings? Nah. He's super talented, but you can't put that on Laf, or even Gauthier.

I'm not really sure where the complaint comes from here. Gauthier lost time to game script, for all intents and purposes.

I'm riding the hot hand. If the 4th line produces the first goal of game (a team wide issue that they just can't seem toget done).. I use the 4th line a bit more than I have been. Maybe they set the tone and continue to drive to the net and get the Bruins off their game.

This team can not get anything going. No flow, no tone, no consistency. I dunno, I think if you score the first goal of the game by crashing the net... You'd keep trying that? No?

No. Not when you're Quinn.