• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Tyler Johnson to DET for Henrik Zetterberg's LTIR?

Phil

You know what Detroit should do? Ask for a 1st back as well, do the deal, then offer sheet Cirelli lol

But in all seriousness, this is something that really needs to be fixed eventually.

Or not. I actually think it should go the opposite way. Teams should be able to get out of mistakes they've made. NHL allows it already, so why the song and dance pretending to be cap compliant?

You can't buyout players without a severe cap penalty and you can't sign players over 35 without a severe cap penalty but you can trade a guy who hasn't been in the league for three years?

Just seems silly to me that this is just agreed upon by everyone as a perfectly legal transaction and yet it so clearly goes against the very idea of a hard cap. Either have a soft cap, allow cash transactions between teams, or don't allow this kind of stuff.

I tend to agree. TB would be giving up Johnson for nothing, which is sufficient as a penalty for signing him to a long term contract that they ended up not being able to fit within the cap. This would be no different than trading Johnson for a 7th round pick, which is the kind of deal that happens all the time. This isn't much different than Vegas dumping a player probably more useful than Johnson, Nate Schmidt, for third round pick.

Or not. I actually think it should go the opposite way. Teams should be able to get out of mistakes they've made. NHL allows it already, so why the song and dance pretending to be cap compliant?

You can't buyout players without a severe cap penalty and you can't sign players over 35 without a severe cap penalty but you can trade a guy who hasn't been in the league for three years?

Just seems silly to me that this is just agreed upon by everyone as a perfectly legal transaction and yet it so clearly goes against the very idea of a hard cap. Either have a soft cap, allow cash transactions between teams, or don't allow this kind of stuff.

I just think it’s nuts. Two bites of the apple. A team can get out of a cap with LTIR then also use it as a bargaining chip.

One minute sports league implement salary caps. and the next teams try to find exotic loopholes to get around them.

I'm all for giving teams flexibility in a hard cap to encourage trading, but the idea of acquiring "dead" money is a joke. At one point, the Coyotes acquired Chris Pronger's contract while Pronger wasn't actually retired but somehow working for the NHL at the same time. Come on.

I'm all for giving teams flexibility in a hard cap to encourage trading, but the idea of acquiring "dead" money is a joke. At one point, the Coyotes acquired Chris Pronger's contract while Pronger wasn't actually retired but somehow working for the NHL at the same time. Come on.
The answer is a soft cap and luxury tax.

Let teams go over the cap by up to 10%, tax any overages by 110%. If a team is $1M over the cap, their luxury tax is $1.1M. Luxury tax goes into a kitty that gets evenly distributed as HRR to the teams under the cap.

Everyone wins.

The answer is a soft cap and luxury tax.

Let teams go over the cap by up to 10%, tax any overages by 110%. If a team is $1M over the cap, their luxury tax is $1.1M. Luxury tax goes into a kitty that gets evenly distributed as HRR to the teams under the cap.

Everyone wins.

Agreed. People will cry about a lack of parity, but a lack of parity already exists. Guys were never going to embrace the idea of signing long-term in Winnipeg no matter how much forced equity you tried to jam into the gears.

Agreed. People will cry about a lack of parity, but a lack of parity already exists. Guys were never going to embrace the idea of signing long-term in Winnipeg no matter how much forced equity you tried to jam into the gears.

I think the NHL just needs to be comfortable with a potentially greater lack of parity for a while. If you want to lift all boats, you probably need a mechanism that makes your very big market teams comfortable spending more than your small market teams. The soft cap/luxury tax idea is great; the big 5 teams will almost assuredly spend enough to bridge the bottom 10 or so back to relevance.

Either that or allow each team to have the ability to agree to one franchise tag for a player that meets certain criteria where his cap hit doesn’t count if the player is willing to agree.I’ve said it before but something along the lines of

1. has to have been drafted by team

2. has to be the average of top x amount of salaries league wide.

3. can only be used once on a player for for a max amount of years and only one player per roster, say like a max of a 5-6 year deal.

4. if traded, cap hit them counts

5. Is available to use right after ELC but has to be signed during rfa period. Can eat into ufa years but since the max is a 5 or 6 or so year deal it won’t go too far into it.

Just something along those lines so that a talented team that drafts well arent punished as much for having elite talent. Players union probably is okay with it because it helps alleviate a contract problem issue and allows teams more cap room for other players. League probably is okay with it because while yes, Winnipeg is never going to be that massively desirable place, it will help a player stay that came up with the organization by being paid very well before having to wait until 26+ years old or so. Keeping a franchise player helps jersey sales, tickets, etc. Just a thought.