• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021 Training Camp: Up to 36 Skaters; Unlimited Goalies

Lord Al

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just posting this to point out the NHL/NHLPA agreement when it comes to covid. I was under the impression all covid related issues were going to be publicly disclosed like they are in the NFL. Not in anyway insinuating any of these guys are dealing with covid.

Glad to see Quinn trying D'Angelo on Troubas left right off the bat. Hopefully he sticks with it to make sure it works or doesn't. I think its a must and will work better than some expect.

Third pair question mark is interesting. Is Smith the 7th D or is Johnson? Are the kids getting any opportunity?

Some notes from Carp on yesterday's camp:

Kreider on Lafreniere:

“He’s an awesome guy, I mean, an awesome kid,” Kreider said. “You forget how young he is because he carries himself with a maturity. I played with him a bunch and his skill is very, very evident. He’s got the thing on a string. He sees the ice incredibly well; head’s up. One thing that really struck me over the past few weeks, though, is he not only is a mature kid, and carries himself with that level of maturity, but he’s a lot thicker than a normal 18- or 19-year-old kid. Very strong on his skates and he competes. He’s a dog on the puck. Guys try to bump him and he’s trying to spin off and get to that ice. He’s hyper-competitive and he wants to win and you can tell he loves playing the game.”

Kreider told a quick story about how Lafreni?re wanted to watch the other groups during informal skates, but had to ask permission from medical trainer Jim Ramsay due to COVID-19 protocols.

“He was like a kid, just so excited to be there and he’s watching everyone practice,” Kreider said. “You can tell he’s got a serious passion for the game, and enthusiasm and really good energy. He just wants to succeed and win.”

Carp on Robertson:

I believe that the taxi squad will not only ensure that Miller is on the team from the start, but also that it will allow defenseman Matthew Robertson to make it, even if for a short time. Robertson, the 6-foot-4, 195-pounder taken in the second round in 2019, would normally be headed back to juniors and Edmonton of the WHL.

Robertson is signed, though, and invited to camp, and had a really strong first day. With the taxi squad, and with the junior leagues’ start dates still uncertain, teams will be allowed to place junior players in the AHL temporarily – normally that’s not allowed.

On ADA:

Tony DeAngelo looked just fine in his debut as a left defenseman with new partner Jacob Trouba. Stay tuned.

Lots and lots of positive from yesterday's skates.

• Like 1

Awesome about Robertson. it's so crazy that he's 'flying under the radar' among Rangers prospects.

In any other world, right? He's got the tools to be a hell of a player for us, but he's not really in his body yet (195 is a bit...wiry for 6'4) and he would benefit from more development. He's also behind - in theory - Trouba, Fox, ADA, Lundkvist, Braden Schneider, possibly Reunanen (he plays both sides) right now. Just crazy depth for us on defense that he's not even a thought for most of us right now.

The funny thing for him is that the stars are kind of aligning in his favor. Schneider isn't at camp. Joey Keane was moved. Pandemic means he can skate with the big club or the AHL if need be. Further, if ADA flips sides and plays well, there's suddenly an open RD spot. He has to be better than....off-side Brendan Smith or Darren Raddysh? That has to light a fire for a hungry kid who seems to have the right combination of size, speed, and intelligence to play Quinn's game.

He might have a shot this year.

Some notes from Carp on yesterday's camp:

Kreider on Lafreniere:

Carp on Robertson:

On ADA:

Lots and lots of positive from yesterday's skates.

Awesome about Robertson. it's so crazy that he's 'flying under the radar' among Rangers prospects.

I can't wait the next 9 days. I'm gonna be glued to the screen watching these guys like a hawk!! Man!!! I missed this team!!!!