• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Henrik Lundqvist is the Greatest Ranger in History

Phil

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair, the team gave him quite a few of leads in the Finals, some multiple goals, games 1 and 2 come to mind. With that said, it’s between him and Leetch for greatest all time Ranger and it’s definitely a tough debate

No its not. Hank was a great goalie and even a better Ranger but doesn’t come close to Leetch’s accomplishments. The one time he won the Vezina his stats weren’t even the best that year. And I don’t remember him leading the league in anything.

You just don’t remember Leetch play.

Also, Leetch played during the dark ages too

Yes, of course, I don't agree with you.. therefore it means I don't remember correctly. [emoji849]

Yes, he did play during the dark years...

No its not. Hank was a great goalie and even a better Ranger but doesn’t come close to Leetch’s accomplishments. The one time he won the Vezina his stats weren’t even the best that year. And I don’t remember him leading the league in anything.

... and one year he was close to the bottom of the league and plus minus. You can't remember Hank ever leading the league in anything, but do you remember him ever being at the bottom of the league in anything?

Here's a good read. https://russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2021/08/20/caps-legend-henrik-lundqvist-rangers-suck/

Yes, of course, I don't agree with you.. therefore it means I don't remember correctly. [emoji849]

Yes, he did play during the dark years...

... and one year he was close to the bottom of the league and plus minus. You can't remember Hank ever leading the league in anything, but do you remember him ever being at the bottom of the league in anything?

Here's a good read. https://russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2021/08/20/caps-legend-henrik-lundqvist-rangers-suck/

Im not trying to be offensive. You’re in your 30’s and Leetch played any meaningful hockey over 20 years ago. You were a kid. Its ok to assume you that you don’t remember him play other than watching his highlights on youtube.

Not being at the buttom of the league is not an indication of greatness. Being at the top is, like Bryan Leetch was.

What are these stats?

first in opponent goals scored (1,825)

first in opponent expected goals (1,983) based on Natural Stat Trick’s xG model

first in opponent goals saved above expected (158)

Never heard of these. Sounds like something madeup to reinforce the author’s argument.

Im not arguing that Lundqvist wasnt a great goalie, just not greater than Leetch

I will say this. There is only one other guy I feel as bad for never winning and that’s Don Mattingly. Loved that dude. Henrik eclipsed him in terms of accomplishments and importance to his franchise but both guys are the two NY figures that deserved better outcomes here.

The fucking strike! 1994 Yanks were first in the division and had a shot to go deep into the playoffs. THE FUCKING STRIKE. Man...Mattingly was my favorite player, hands down. That shit hurts just as much as Hank.

What's even worse for Mattingly is that he retired after '95 season...then the Yankees won the World Series in '96, '98, '99, and '00. FUCK MAN.

• Like 1

Im not trying to be offensive. You’re in your 30’s and Leetch played any meaningful hockey over 20 years ago. You were a kid. Its ok to assume you that you don’t remember him play other than watching his highlights on youtube.

Not being at the buttom of the league is not an indication of greatness. Being at the top is, like Bryan Leetch was.

Wrong, so just stop LOL.

I will say this. There is only one other guy I feel as bad for never winning and that’s Don Mattingly. Loved that dude. Henrik eclipsed him in terms of accomplishments and importance to his franchise but both guys are the two NY figures that deserved better outcomes here.

The fucking strike! 1994 Yanks were first in the division and had a shot to go deep into the playoffs. THE FUCKING STRIKE. Man...Mattingly was my favorite player, hands down. That shit hurts just as much as Hank.

What's even worse for Mattingly is that he retired after '95 season...then the Yankees won the World Series in '96, '98, '99, and '00. FUCK MAN.

Same here. I loved Mattingly when I was a kid. I was in his fan club and told the kids at school he was my uncle lol. This had to be somewhere between 1st and 3rd grade. It was gut wrenching seeing him after that 95 wild card loss to Seattle after seeing him so elated to finally make the playoffs.

Same here. I loved Mattingly when I was a kid. I was in his fan club and told the kids at school he was my uncle lol. This had to be somewhere between 1st and 3rd grade. It was gut wrenching seeing him after that 95 wild card loss to Seattle after seeing him so elated to finally make the playoffs.

I asked my mom at one point why Don Mattingly wasn't my dad since she loved him so much. My dad was very much in the picture still...lol. Not sure if he was in the room when I asked this though.

so did the Montreal Expos, best record in baseball. If anyone should be pissed about the strike it should be Expos fans.

I'd second that!
Uh, me too. (No surprise.)

He didn't shore up weaknesses the way Lundquist did (and only a goalie can). Nor was he the last word in the dressing room as Hank was. Was not his style. Did not have a Cup or 2 Norris trophies like Leetch. But Gilbert had a long run of unarguable excellence similar to both Leetch and Hank and was an essential element on some of their best teams ever.

He's a dark horse for greatest Ranger, but yes, the conversation would not be complete without him.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Uh, me too. (No surprise.)

He didn't shore up weaknesses the way Lundquist did (and only a goalie can). Nor was he the last word in the dressing room as Hank was. Was not his style. Did not have a Cup or 2 Norris trophies like Leetch. But Gilbert had a long run of unarguable excellence similar to both Leetch and Hank and was an essential element on some of their best teams ever.

He's a dark horse for greatest Ranger, but yes, the conversation would not be complete without him.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

He was our first retired number though, RG. My first memories of watching the Rangers on TV6 were Rod Gilbert. It makes me feel really old knowing I was just 4 years old...and it seems like "not that long ago".