• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Trade Marc Staal, 2021 2nd Round Pick to DET for Future Considerations

Phil

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, to me, it seems buying out Staal saves them from HAVING to buy out Hank. Doesn't mean they won't. Just means there's a chance they won't.

Perhaps they have a deal in the works for Georgiev, such that they do not have to buy out Hank any longer.

I did not think they would be able to clear Staal's contract, because I did not see him waiving the NMC unless it was to go to a contender and I didn't see why a contender would trade for him.

I wonder if Detroit buys him out, then Staal signs on for a min contract elsewhere.

Staal was atrocious last year. He wasn't serviceable any longer, which is a damn shame. Always sucks seeing a long time Rangers player deteriorate pretty rapidly. He's only 33.

A 2nd round pick to free up that much cap seems fair.

What was Marleau's cap hit last year? 6.2? Not only didn't they give up a 1st. It's a 2021 2nd (a pick they can absolutely get back if they want to.)

Remains to be seen if the haven't bought Lundqvist out in hopes they can swing another deal along these lines.Hard pressed to find a team that would take on that salary, but who knows. They don't have to make a decision now, but it's fair to say you owe a player like Lundqvist the chance to go elsewhere if they're buying him out.

Staal was a solid defensive defenseman for a long time here-until the injuries piled up. Wings appear to have traded for a contract they don't really care about this season for a 2nd round pick next.

What was Marleau's cap hit last year? 6.2? Not only didn't they give up a 1st. It's a 2021 2nd (a pick they can absolutely get back if they want to.)

Right. It's also a 2nd in a weak draft in which the Rangers still have a 1st, two 3rds, two 4ths, and all of their other picks. Plus they already have arguably the top prospect pool in the NHL. Definitely a 2nd they could afford to lose.

Yeah. I have to think the difference is the Leafs were so cap strung it had to happen. The Rangers technically didn't have to do this. There were other outs.

Concussed by his brother, lost an eye, but I'll never forget how he was always able to pretty much shutdown Ovechkin at even strength, with both in their primes.

Not even that. Dude, along with Dominic Moore, absolutely manhandled Crosby in 2014 despite being pretty fresh off the aforementioned injuries. The dude gave it until he couldn't. The last few years were rough to watch, but he was fucking good when he was healthier and younger.

This guy served the Rangers very well on the blue line. I still remember when he first came up. The Staal-Girardi pairing was incredible. We were really spoiled as fans in those years. Was a wall in the playoffs too.

Yes is was. Those motherfuckers were the beginning of a very special era.