• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Should Pursue Islanders? Matt Martin Under One Condition

Lord Al

I'm just not interested in signing a 32-year-old to a five year deal. Least of all one who plays a physical game like Maroon. He's already showing signs of being on the wrong side of 30 with back-to-back seasons (0.36, 0.38 respectively) under his career average (0.45 P/GP) despite playing on two very good teams.

He's played reduced minutes because those teams are very good.

Again, that contract is very tradeable with retention.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's played reduced minutes because those teams are very good.

Again, that contract is very tradeable with retention.

I'm just not interested in five years. Not for that kind of player. Not at this age.

I wouldn't give that term to Martin or Boyle or anyone else, either.

I'm just not interested in five years. Not for that kind of player. Not at this age.

I wouldn't give that term to Martin or Boyle or anyone else, either.

Well Boyle is 35.

You keep saying that you're not interested after I keep saying the contract is totally tradeable with retention. Someone will take it to get to the cap floor or something. So I don't really see the problem.

Well Boyle is 35.

You keep saying that you're not interested after I keep saying the contract is totally tradeable with retention. Someone will take it to get to the cap floor or something. So I don't really see the problem.

Maybe, but why take that risk in the first place? I see Maroon, Martin, and others all in the same vein. I'm interested in breaking up the team's homogenity, but I've no interest in locking myself into a player who is likely to have more bad years than good over the life of his contract. I would approach the group, find out who still offers what I'm looking for for the fewest years and sign him.

Yeah, to come back with the same team, plus Laf, and expect a different result isn't realistic.

Does Fast honestly excite anyone? I see his name there and it's disappointing.

I'd like to see Strome replaced and Buch moved down in favor of Kakko. And then the bottom 6 needs an overhaul.

I don't think Buch is a top line guy on a contending team nor do I think Kakko remotely deserves to be moved up to the top line at this point either. Not responding to you directly 31 I respect your opinion, I just think he has miles to go. I think the lineup posted above proves that we have a number of guys who really need to step up and/or holes to fill. Maybe Kravtsov surprises who knows but I don't expect much if this is what we roll with. I hope they shake things up by moving a few pieces out.

I don't think Buch is a top line guy on a contending team nor do I think Kakko remotely deserves to be moved up to the top line at this point either. Not responding to you directly 31 I respect your opinion, I just think he has miles to go. I think the lineup posted above proves that we have a number of guys who really need to step up and/or holes to fill. Maybe Kravtsov surprises who knows but I don't expect much if this is what we roll with. I hope they shake things up by moving a few pieces out.

Buch isn't a top line guy on any team, even the Rangers (we had two 2nd lines, all things considered).

I don't know that Kakko deserves 1st line either, but I don't like Buch. And I don't like him on the 1st line. There's really not another option though besides Kakko.

Buch is just so soft and mentally weak, I really don't think he ads much to Mika and Kreider.

I don't know that Kakko deserves 1st line either, but I don't like Buch. And I don't like him on the 1st line. There's really not another option though besides Kakko.

Buch is just so soft and mentally weak, I really don't think he ads much to Mika and Kreider.

Agreed re: weak. Body language and how you carry yourself is infectious.

Same on Buch I would prefer to never see his pouting puss face ever again. Soft and weak is exactly how I see him as well. I do hope Kakko grows into a much better player over time. The more they shake things up the better to me.

Other side of 30? So what? Our team is the youngest team in the league and just got younger losing Hank and Staal.

And Hank and Staal also stopped being good because they were on the other side of 30. That's the problem. Guys start trending down strongly in their late 20's in todays game and physical players like Martin always see the steepest and most sudden falls.

And Hank and Staal also stopped being good because they were on the other side of 30. That's the problem. Guys start trending down strongly in their late 20's in todays game and physical players like Martin always see the steepest and most sudden falls.

I don't think I'm suggesting signing him to a 7 year deal. But to flatly say over 30 contracts are no good is false.

I'm hoping they bring in some vets this year. Koivu and an older Dman. Can't have the majority of the team being 21 and think they'll be successful.

Take a look at teams that have success in the playoffs.

I don't think I'm suggesting signing him to a 7 year deal. But to flatly say over 30 contracts are no good is false.

I'm hoping they bring in some vets this year. Koivu and an older Dman. Can't have the majority of the team being 21 and think they'll be successful.

Take a look at teams that have success in the playoffs.

Agree with your first paragraph. It's a pipe dream to think you'll never have anybody on your team older than 27.

If that Granlund prediction is true, I'm selling Strome for best offer and signing Granlund instead. Seems a bit low though. I think he comes in closer to 6 and with more term.

they have him (Granlund) going to the Islanders.

they show Erik Haula, Zach Bogosian, Dmitry Kulikov and Matt Martin coming here.