• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Should Pursue Islanders? Matt Martin Under One Condition

Lord Al

Maroon is going to have a lot more offers this year than previously had. Two cups on two different teams will do that. I could see him here but I doubt we fit him under the cap if we want to address everything we want to do this offseason. Some team is going to offer him a bit more than he?s worth if they think he?s a missing piece of sorts
Toronto.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know who would be pretty good in a 4th line role for us and might be a 20/21 type with not many offers? Wayne Simmonds. Hell, keep Lemieux even though he’s not well liked, get Boyle and Simmonds and I really like that 4th line.

Lemieux Boyle Simmonds Tough line to play against

You know who would be pretty good in a 4th line role for us and might be a 20/21 type with not many offers? Wayne Simmonds. Hell, keep Lemieux even though he’s not well liked, get Boyle and Simmonds and I really like that 4th line.

Lemieux Boyle Simmonds Tough line to play against

An ineffective Lemieux and two old war horses who can barely skate at this point?

I don’t think that’s a very good 4th line at this point, sorry.

Sure, but it's relative to our graduation class, as well as Lafreniere (bonuses). I'd be fine giving him the AAV he wants but I've little to no interest in term beyond two years.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I actually feel opposite. Ask how much, and then low AAV + term. He knows he's gonna get paid, doesn't need to worry about getting new contracts every year or 2, etc. I'd do like $3.5x5.

I actually feel opposite. Ask how much, and then low AAV + term. He knows he's gonna get paid, doesn't need to worry about getting new contracts every year or 2, etc. I'd do like $3.5x5.

For a 32-year-old? Hard pass.

I'd sooner give him 5.5 x 3, LOL.

For a 32-year-old? Hard pass.

I'd sooner give him 5.5 x 3, LOL.

Nah, the low AAV is where it's at. Easy to move with retention, as well.

The team averages like 22 years old. This paranoia about anyone over 30 is ridiculous at this point.

It's not paranoia, it's aging curve. It's very unfriendly to players over 30, and even more unfriendly to those over 35. It's not arbitrary. The NHL literally has rules crafted around that age for a reason.

The team has cap now. It also has Kreider (6.5), Panarin (11.65), and Trouba (8.0) locked in long-term with a major call to make on Zibanejad and new deals due to graduating prospects (Chytil, Buch, Lindgren, Shesterkin) next summer, and (Kakko, Fox) the one beyond. Lafrenierre would be third year.

That $3.5 million isn't all that debilitating on its own, but those dollars add up quick when you start having to give guys $6, $8, or $10 million plus. If his fall comes two or three years into your five-year deal, it's not going to be easy to move him, even at a reduced AAV.

It's not paranoia, it's aging curve. It's very unfriendly to players over 30, and even more unfriendly to those over 35. It's not arbitrary. The NHL literally has rules crafted around that age for a reason.

No need to cover what we already know.

The team has cap now. It also has Kreider (6.5), Panarin (11.65), and Trouba (8.0) locked in long-term with a major call to make on Zibanejad and new deals due to graduating prospects (Chytil, Buch, Lindgren, Shesterkin) next summer, and (Kakko, Fox) the one beyond. Lafrenierre would be third year.

That $3.5 million isn't all that debilitating on its own, but those dollars add up quick when you start having to give guys $6, $8, or $10 million plus. If his fall comes two or three years into your five-year deal, it's not going to be easy to move him, even at a reduced AAV.

That $3.5 is easier to move than $5.5. This guy has spent the last 4 years playing for EDM, NJD, STL, TBL...he wants term, and there's really no reason not to give it to him as long as the NTC isn't ridic, and the AAV isn't too high.

No need to cover what we already know.

That $3.5 is easier to move than $5.5. This guy has spent the last 4 years playing for EDM, NJD, STL, TBL...he wants term, and there's really no reason not to give it to him as long as the NTC isn't ridic, and the AAV isn't too high.

I'm just not interested in signing a 32-year-old to a five year deal. Least of all one who plays a physical game like Maroon. He's already showing signs of being on the wrong side of 30 with back-to-back seasons (0.36, 0.38 respectively) under his career average (0.45 P/GP) despite playing on two very good teams.

I'm just not interested in signing a 32-year-old to a five year deal. Least of all one who plays a physical game like Maroon. He's already showing signs of being on the wrong side of 30 with back-to-back seasons (0.36, 0.38 respectively) under his career average (0.45 P/GP) despite playing on two very good teams.

Tran I think I said it the other day. He would be great here but likely will get an overpriced offer somewhere and I’d prefer it not be is with our young soon to be on bigger contracts pool of talent