• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Strang: Do we honestly have no better options than Mike Milbury?

Phil

I spent a good five minutes this morning at home on my stationary bike, rage-spinning while typing out, then subsequently deleting, a tweet in response to Mike Milbury?s asinine comments Thursday night on an NBC broadcast of the Islanders-Capitals game. Milbury, during a discussion about the efficacy of the NHL?s playoff bubble and the dearth of distractions for players, chimed in to add that there were ?not even any women here to disrupt your concentration.?

I?m tired of this shit.

It?s not just me. And it?s not just other women. That?s way too reductive and simplistic. And it?s selling too many people far short of what they deserve. It?s every hockey fan who is capable of thinking critically wondering why someone who routinely offends, belittles and dismays seems to be continually trotted out despite what seems like little appetite for what he has to offer.

This was not an errant slip or an inelegant turn of phrase. This is also not the result of someone being green or unpolished. Rather, it?s another example of casual misogyny that is not isolated, but instead a pattern of behavior.

Remember that already during this NHL playoffs, Milbury degraded women?s hockey with such casual aplomb that he may as well have been dissecting a penalty-killing shift or neutral-zone forecheck. And it?s more than just misogyny. Milbury also reacted with extreme insensitivity when Toronto?s Jake Muzzin was seriously injured, down on the ice and vulnerable. Milbury suggested it wouldn?t hurt if he stayed down to take a whistle. Muzzin was soon stretchered off and taken to the hospital. Additionally, he criticized Bruins goaltender Tuukka Rask for leaving the bubble to be with his family, questioning his commitment to his team.

I?ve talked to several people in the hockey world today already ? men and women alike ? and there?s been a common theme: How does Milbury remain in this role despite so many better options?

https://theathletic.com/2014223/2020/08/21/strang-do-we-honestly-have-no-better-options-than-mike-milbury/

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I didn't know it was a miracle reference, but I don't understand the issue with what he said.

Doubtful just showing how dumb this is, but it’s a scene in the movie when they are playing Norway and the guys are distracted by the ladies in the crowd.

Definitely not a big fan of Millbury, but this isn't just about him. How much more diversity do you need in the media covering this league? There's women involved in the media with every team, and every national broadcast. The league has taken great pains to appear progressive, like every other corporation and institution in the western world. Seemingly every single former black NHL graduate has a job as a commentator to some capacity, you'll start seeing wamen calling games in the near future. The trouble is for every one Suzyn Waldman, there's 1,000 women who suck, but they'll find those Suzyns, no need to go all Trotsky every time somebody makes a slightly off colour remark.

Are knuckle dragging troglodyes, like myself, not allowed any representation? I'm a segment of society, just like you, and I tolerate your miserable existence, so perhaps you'd be so kind as to accommodate mine?

• Like 2

Definitely not a big fan of Millbury, but this isn't just about him. How much more diversity do you need in the media covering this league? There's women involved in the media with every team, and every national broadcast. The league has taken great pains to appear progressive, like every other corporation and institution in the western world. Seemingly every single former black NHL graduate has a job as a commentator to some capacity, you'll start seeing wamen calling games in the near future. The trouble is for every one Suzyn Waldman, there's 1,000 women who suck, but they'll find those Suzyns, no need to go all Trotsky every time somebody makes a slightly off colour remark.

Are knuckle dragging troglodyes, like myself, not allowed any representation? I'm a segment of society, just like you, and I tolerate your miserable existence, so perhaps you'd be so kind as to accommodate mine?

Doesn't all of this just make.milburys comment even stupider and even more asinine than it already was?

Which comment?

Why is there an approved script for all of this? "In this situation, this is what you say, in this situation, you have to react like so". Deviate from that script and your head will be called for. Bring in a personality who will be judged solely on whether they stick to the script, and how much their biology differs from a straight, white male. The further away from that image you are, the more acceptable it is.

It's all so robotic. All so boring.

I'm torn, because I can't fucking stand him. They could have quietly sacked him on merit for years, instead of waiting for him to inevitably cross wherever the line is, this week.
I have to agree with you. The Euro trash comment was way worse than this.

This is life without Don Cherry, and it’s way too serious lol

Cherry was design a clown, a buffoon, an act. The Euro stuff was really wrong, but he had been saying that kind of nonsense for 3 decades. He at least had a successful career as a coach(if you discount his time with the Rockies anyway).

Millbury, in addition to beating NYR ticketholders with shoes and trading Zdeno Chara of wads of tape and 2 contractor bags of recycling beer cans during his mostly middling playing and management career, is a sourpuss who has nothing to say. NBC and NHLN are pretty much the same company. They have a lot of analysts including Mike Rupp and Kevin Weeks who are way better and appear to be nice guys. So get them on already. Nobody will miss Millbury.

Mike Milbury is seems like the kind of guy who's liable to drop some bigoted shit on any given broadcast. With how angry and negative he is all the time time, it feels like that kind of stuff is just bubbling under the surface. I guess he's NBC's version of Don Cherry, only I don't think anyone actually likes or respects the guy.

Heard Milbury say it and cringed because I knew what the reaction would be. Can’t stand listening to him because he is so biased. This writer said she was upset for 12 hours, which is ridiculous over that comment from that source. Many people go through life looking to be offended and this stuff must be in this woman’s wheelhouse at The Athletic. Now Milbury has been removed from the bubble which ultimately is good for hockey fans.

Heard Milbury say it and cringed because I knew what the reaction would be. Can?t stand listening to him because he is so biased. This writer said she was upset for 12 hours, which is ridiculous over that comment from that source. Many people go through life looking to be offended and this stuff must be in this woman?s wheelhouse at The Athletic. Now Milbury has been removed from the bubble which ultimately is good for hockey fans.
said this better than I could.

Sent from my Z981 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Heard Milbury say it and cringed because I knew what the reaction would be. Can?t stand listening to him because he is so biased. This writer said she was upset for 12 hours, which is ridiculous over that comment from that source. Many people go through life looking to be offended and this stuff must be in this woman?s wheelhouse at The Athletic. Now Milbury has been removed from the bubble which ultimately is good for hockey fans.
Kinds of agree, Millbury should have been fired a long time ago. The fact that he is being shown the door over this kind of ridiculous.