• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2020 Offseason Thread: Get to Fixin'

Phil

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We don't need any more 1st's.. we don't need any more prospects.. We need young, NHL talent. We need a bottom 6.. We need 2 more defensive parings, including a #1 pair.. I don't understand A) your infatuation with trading Trouba B) The desire to trade from a position of weakness to get even younger and more inexperienced... Trade Trouba for a 1st and a prospect and I promise you will be the 1st guy bitching for Quinn's head when an even less experienced roster misses the playoffs in 2021.

Head coaches don't coach goalies, goalies can benefit and look better from a good system.

Which is why I asked, "Can't he develop a system that would insulate Bobrovsky?" He can control what happens in front of him. The Panthers gave up the 10th most shots against in the NHL. According to NaturalStatTrick, they were the third-worst team in the NHL in High Danger CF% which reflects the quality of scoring chances against. Bobrovsky was bad but evidence shows that Quenneville's team also left him open to numerous chances.

So, to your point, a good coach can impact his goalie by having a good system. Quenneville is a good coach who implemented a bad system for his struggling goalie. Good coaches don't solve all problems.

Which is why I asked, "Can't he develop a system that would insulate Bobrovsky?" He can control what happens in front of him. The Panthers gave up the 10th most shots against in the NHL. According to NaturalStatTrick, they were the third-worst team in the NHL in High Danger CF% which reflects the quality of scoring chances against. Bobrovsky was bad but evidence shows that Quenneville's team also left him open to numerous chances.

So, to your point, a good coach can impact his goalie by having a good system. Quenneville is a good coach who implemented a bad system for his struggling goalie. Good coaches don't solve all problems.

He probably can, I haven't really followed the Panthers. Trochek trade at the deadline seems to indicate they did not have very good 3rd/4th lines.

He probably can, I haven't really followed the Panthers. Trochek trade at the deadline seems to indicate they did not have very good 3rd/4th lines.

But he didn't. He took a guy like Mark Pysyk, one of two defensemen Florida elected to keep over forwards like Reilly Smith and Jonathan Marchessault during the expansion draft, and converted him to a 4th line forward because he couldn't get him to play defense well again. A guy like Mike Matheson, who Florida signed to an eight-year deal, struggled so badly against the Islanders that he was scratched for the final two games. Those are two defensemen in Florida that were at one point key pieces on the defense. Both are struggling under a good coach.

So tell me again how Laviolette would come in and solve all of the Rangers problems?

But he didn't. He took a guy like Mark Pysyk, one of two defensemen Florida elected to keep over forwards like Reilly Smith and Jonathan Marchessault during the expansion draft, and converted him to a 4th line forward because he couldn't get him to play defense well again. A guy like Mike Matheson, who Florida signed to an eight-year deal, struggled so badly against the Islanders that he was scratched for the final two games. Those are two defensemen in Florida that were at one point key pieces on the defense. Both are struggling under a good coach.

So tell me again how Laviolette would come in and solve all of the Rangers problems?

I don't need to defend my point of view, you need to defend yours. What do you see in Quinn that you don't see in Laviolette? You think he has higher potential because he is new and fresh to NHL and has some fresh new ideas? Is it his youthful looks despite being 54 years old (Laviolette is 55)

I don't need to defend my point of view, you need to defend yours. What do you see in Quinn that you don't see in Laviolette? You think he has higher potential because he is new and fresh to NHL and has some fresh new ideas? Is it his youthful looks despite being 54 years old (Laviolette is 55)

Holy crap, dude. You're missing the point that not only I but others have been making.

It's not a matter of Quinn is better than Laviolette. It's a matter of who makes more sense right now. Quinn was hired as a developmental coach for a rebuilding team. The team is still rebuilding. Management has made that clear and repeated it multiple times. That means that development trumps false-hope runs at the cup for a team that is ill-equipped. Laviolette isn't a development coach. He isn't going to sign up for a team that is still several years away from any meaningful contention.

Out of curiosity- are we getting the Laviolette who won the cup in Carolina, or took an over achieving team to the Finals in Philly in his first year.. Or the coach whose team under-performed in 8 of his last 10 years? Since we are getting to cherry pick, I'd prefer the Carolina version.

Holy crap, dude. You're missing the point that not only I but others have been making.

It's not a matter of Quinn is better than Laviolette. It's a matter of who makes more sense right now. Quinn was hired as a developmental coach for a rebuilding team. The team is still rebuilding. Management has made that clear and repeated it multiple times. That means that development trumps false-hope runs at the cup for a team that is ill-equipped. Laviolette isn't a development coach. He isn't going to sign up for a team that is still several years away from any meaningful contention.

it is not just about who makes sense right now, do you think Laviolette will wait around a year for us until you decide now it makes sense to go after a good coach? Or do you think Laviolette wll refuse to give icetime to young players?

it is not just about who makes sense right now, do you think Laviolette will wait around a year for us until you decide now it makes sense to go after a good coach? Or do you think Laviolette wll refuse to give icetime to young players?

It's absolutely about who makes sense right now. What on Earth?

I don't care what Laviolette does in a year. The Rangers future success isn't determined by Laviolette at all. He's not relevant. I doubt anyone in the organization has even uttered his name recently. Let it go.

Out of curiosity- are we getting the Laviolette who won the cup in Carolina, or took an over achieving team to the Finals in Philly in his first year.. Or the coach whose team under-performed in 8 of his last 10 years? Since we are getting to cherry pick, I'd prefer the Carolina version.

I think the Preds overachieved under Laviolette: Craig Smith, Saros, Arvidson and Ekholm are 4th rounders.

Wouldn't be a Rangers offseason if we didn't discuss firing the current coach and bringing in another old retread who hasn't had success in 10 years. Didn't read all of the comments, did we bring up Keenan yet?

Guess what team also overachieved? The Rangers.

• Like 1

Why is it always automatically assumed that a guy who is out there on the market and has won a Cup in the past is a guy who right now is the right coach for any team to go out and hire?

Just like players, coaches have prime years too. The game changes for coaches just as it does for players. As those changes happen, coaches become less effective because of those things. Not every coach can evolve and adapt in the ways needed to be successful, just like players.

Not even applying this directly to Laviolette, but it’s possible for any coach, even at only 55, to have had their best seasons behind them.

• Like 1

Wouldn't be a Rangers offseason if we didn't discuss firing the current coach and bringing in another old retread who hasn't had success in 10 years. Didn't read all of the comments, did we bring up Keenan yet?

Guess what team also overachieved? The Rangers.

Bravo 31.

It's reaching the trolling level at this point.

If we're going that route let's go big with Scotty Bowman.

Why is it always automatically assumed that a guy who is out there on the market and has won a Cup in the past is a guy who right now is the right coach for any team to go out and hire?

Just like players, coaches have prime years too. The game changes for coaches just as it does for players. As those changes happen, coaches become less effective because of those things. Not every coach can evolve and adapt in the ways needed to be successful, just like players.

Not even applying this directly to Laviolette, but it’s possible for any coach, even at only 55, to have had their best seasons behind them.

everything is possible, but I liked Laviolette for a long time he is a very good mix of X's and 0's and motivator.