• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Buyout Final Year of Henrik Lundqvist's Contract

Phil

Those players have relevance to my point not to get caught up in sentiment. Was not comparing career accomplishments. In the minds of many fans Hank is ‘shitting’ on his own legacy. Father Time is still undefeated.

And those fans are wrong. No one is going to ultimately care about Lundqvist playing relative to his age during a rebuild. He's not holding the team back from competing. It's not Lundqvist's fault that some fans choose to amplify the situation. He's still the greatest goaltender to ever play for the Rangers and the prime reason they were consistently in the playoffs for a decade.

• Like 1

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And those fans are wrong. No one is going to ultimately care about Lundqvist playing relative to his age during a rebuild. He's not holding the team back from competing. It's not Lundqvist's fault that some fans choose to amplify the situation. He's still the greatest goaltender to ever play for the Rangers and the prime reason they were consistently in the playoffs for a decade.

Sorry, but that is not really a Right or Wrong question. A legacy is formed by all aspects of a career and all opinions of the fans. In 10 years if somebody asks me about Hank I will say probably the best goalie ability in NYR history, he will hopefully be a HOFer, got a Vezina, just missed on a Cup, and hung around too long.

Are there no fans that are not in love with Lundqvist and think he was overrated and was not really worth that big contract?

Also he would have helped himself and the Rangers rebuild if he agreed to being traded at the time we were trading McDonagh. It was a dumb decision to refuse to waive his clause at that time. He could have won the Cup and Rangers could have gotten great return.

Are there no fans that are not in love with Lundqvist and think he was overrated and was not really worth that big contract?

Also he would have helped himself and the Rangers rebuild if he agreed to being traded at the time we were trading McDonagh. It was a dumb decision to refuse to waive his clause at that time. He could have won the Cup and Rangers could have gotten great return.

Whatever you think about his contract, they gave it to him and he signed it. Everything else is immaterial.

It?s not his job to think about the rebuild and make decisions in his life, his career, and for his family based on what the organization is doing or what direction it might be going.

And he knew that they were doing that and had the option to leave and would get his money regardless, and he valued being in NY and being a Ranger and keeping his family in NY and around him more than any other factor.

As far as his return and winning a Cup, those are very debatable factors. We have no idea what they may have been offered or received for him, nor where he might have gone, or what those pieces would be in actuality today or down the road. And the Cup is as big an ?IF? as can be imagined.

Bottom line is he had a contract that they gave him. It?s guaranteed money and a full NMC, which they gave to him. All parties knew term and money. He knew the situation here in terms of a change of direction. He knew there were young goalies coming. He had the opportunity to go. He said no.

That?s it.

There were no real unknowns at any point. And if you give a guy the deal they gave him, you have to realize you?re pretty likely to have him around to the end

Whatever you think about his contract, they gave it to him and he signed it. Everything else is immaterial.

It’s not his job to think about the rebuild and make decisions in his life, his career, and for his family based on what the organization is doing or what direction it might be going.

And he knew that they were doing that and had the option to leave and would get his money regardless, and he valued being in NY and being a Ranger and keeping his family in NY and around him more than any other factor.

As far as his return and winning a Cup, those are very debatable factors. We have no idea what they may have been offered or received for him, nor where he might have gone, or what those pieces would be in actuality today or down the road. And the Cup is as big an “IF” as can be imagined.

Bottom line is he had a contract that they gave him. It’s guaranteed money and a full NMC, which they gave to him. All parties knew term and money. He knew the situation here in terms of a change of direction. He knew there were young goalies coming. He had the opportunity to go. He said no.

That’s it.

There were no real unknowns at any point. And if you give a guy the deal they gave him, you have to realize you’re pretty likely to have him around to the end

Its tough to trade a goalie on a big contract like that, especially if we are talking about a team that could be a contender. Every team that is a true cup contender probably doesn't need a goalie. They might not have a goalie that's consdered 'elite' in the way Hank was, but they are going to be at the very least solid, or in a good enough position where they don't need to spend assets, and cap space, on a goalie.

Im sure there were teams without a goalie at the bottom of the standings that would have enjoyed having him there. But he wouldn't waive to go there. contenders wouldn't pay to get him.

You know, the Capitals just bowed out early, are losing Holtby, and still are in a place to compete with that roster. East coast still, not too much of a change of scenery, and a place Henrik has played well in/has plenty of playoff experience in. I’d have a real tough time seeing him at MSG In a caps uniform but I wonder if we retained 2-4m and asked him if he wants this one chance. Thry do have Samsonov though but he’s not a head and shoulders number 1 yet at all.

You know, the Capitals just bowed out early, are losing Holtby, and still are in a place to compete with that roster. East coast still, not too much of a change of scenery, and a place Henrik has played well in/has plenty of playoff experience in. I’d have a real tough time seeing him at MSG In a caps uniform but I wonder if we retained 2-4m and asked him if he wants this one chance. Thry do have Samsonov though but he’s not a head and shoulders number 1 yet at all.

I don’t see a team still trying to contend having much interest in Hank unfortunately. He will be 39 in March and even if at $4m-$6m would be expensive. Best Hank can hope for at this point is to hang around here as a back up for one more year. His value is mostly sentimental.

You know, the Capitals just bowed out early, are losing Holtby, and still are in a place to compete with that roster. East coast still, not too much of a change of scenery, and a place Henrik has played well in/has plenty of playoff experience in. I?d have a real tough time seeing him at MSG In a caps uniform but I wonder if we retained 2-4m and asked him if he wants this one chance. Thry do have Samsonov though but he?s not a head and shoulders number 1 yet at all.

I?m pretty sure the plan is Samsanov starting with Copley backing him up.

Samsanov was 16-6 this season with much better GAA and save % than Holtby.

Washington also will need the cap space Holtby currently consumes.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Its tough to trade a goalie on a big contract like that, especially if we are talking about a team that could be a contender. Every team that is a true cup contender probably doesn't need a goalie. They might not have a goalie that's consdered 'elite' in the way Hank was, but they are going to be at the very least solid, or in a good enough position where they don't need to spend assets, and cap space, on a goalie.

Im sure there were teams without a goalie at the bottom of the standings that would have enjoyed having him there. But he wouldn't waive to go there. contenders wouldn't pay to get him.

I agree that the financial implications of his contract complicated matters. But I’m also pretty sure that if they had a deal they liked to a team and destination Hank would have agreed to, they’d have been more than willing to retain salary to do so.

Oh come on. Get this guy away from this forum now lol

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Let him stay. He?s clearly a jackass. It?s good for our amusement
I agree. Let him stay.

This form has a reputation for being hard on new users, people have said it's clicky and that new members have a hard time integrating.

I have to give credit to a guy who jumps in head first and isn't scared to post awful opinions and the hottest of hot takes. We should really embrace the kind of bravery it takes to just say whatever is on your mind regardless of if it makes sense or has even a shred of plausibility.

you people are clowns. The day I registered here was the day I found this site, did not even know it existed before. The funny phenomenon I noticed is idiot posters (and it is not just here, but other sites as well) that constantly look for some patterns in new posters or posters they don't like or disagree with to assume that they are some old poster from the past that the did not like or disagreed with.

you people are clowns. The day I registered here was the day I found this site, did not even know it existed before. The funny phenomenon I noticed is idiot posters (and it is not just here, but other sites as well) that constantly look for some patterns in new posters or posters they don't like or disagree with to assume that they are some old poster from the past that the did not like or disagreed with.

So how many boards do you regularly join and post like idiotic stuff constantly? I mean, to be honest dude, you’re the one but posting similar idiotic comments as guys that previously joined, wore out their welcome fast and left because they didn’t understand how pointless of a conversation it is to beat a dead horse with no factual accuracy to it at all. Doesn’t that show more of a reflection of you rather than of the rest of a sit that’s been around for a decade? If you do that elsewhere and are met with the same reactions, that should be your first sign that maybe it’s you, not us. You’re the only common denominator lol.

I think you could be a productive poster but you just add far too much vitriol. Maybe cut that out and just enjoy your time here discussing Rangers hockey.