• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

A Shot at the Cup or a Shot at Lafreni?re?

Agree.

Winning midweek, non conference games in Jan and Feb doesn't make you a contender.

In the playoffs depth is king and the Rangers 3rd line is an AHL 2nd line.

But when we had amazing depth, the star power was ?king?. We had amazing 3rd and 4th lines, but no real superstar like Panarin (and Mika this season). Penguins. teams over the last years would disagree that ?depth is king?. Hawks won a cup with 4 D-men.

Im not saying depth?s not important, but it is star players that win you a cup, but ofcourse they cant play with a bunch of AHL?ers giving up goals every other shift.

Our top 2 lines will get ALOT of ice-time. The 3rd line has potential to be a solid depth line with Kakko, chytil and Lemieux/Gauthier and the 4th line will be very limited. The biggest weakness is the D.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But when we had amazing depth, the star power was ?king?. We had amazing 3rd and 4th lines, but no real superstar like Panarin (and Mika this season). Penguins. teams over the last years would disagree that ?depth is king?. Hawks won a cup with 4 D-men.

Im not saying depth?s not important, but it is star players that win you a cup, but ofcourse they cant play with a bunch of AHL?ers giving up goals every other shift.

Our top 2 lines will get ALOT of ice-time. The 3rd line has potential to be a solid depth line with Kakko, chytil and Lemieux/Gauthier and the 4th line will be very limited. The biggest weakness is the D.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Agreed with a lot of this. The highest probability of winning a Cup is with high end talent on the top two lines, and it's been that way for 10-15 years now. Of course there are other ways to win, but probability wise it's easily the highest.

I think the bottom two lines has the potential to be a lot better going into the play in rounds and playoffs. They may even get an upgrade if Kakko is ready to take that step forward, which makes the 3rd line very good either because Kakko is driving it or he replaces Fast on the 1st and Fast moves back to where he should be on the 3rd. Guys just have to get ice times relative to their worth, and Quinn will have to navigate that. That means Howden with 8-10 minutes unless he legitimately earns more, no Haley at all, and limited-to-no McKegg.

The defense had been much improved since January. I thought I heard Quinn mention in a recent interview about some two month stretch between January and March where the Rangers were in the top 10 for both Goals For and Goal Allowed. That's a particularly impressive run for goals allowed given how bad they were for the first few months of the season. It's a pretty long stretch of elite level goaltending (thanks Igor!) AND improved team defense. I see no reason why that can't continue.

Agree.

Winning midweek, non conference games in Jan and Feb doesn't make you a contender.

In the playoffs depth is king and the Rangers 3rd line is an AHL 2nd line.

This is coming from the guy who complained that every team the Rangers beat were actually AHL teams in disguise. Seems everyone is an AHLer in your book.

Rangers aren't "contenders," but Chyil Kakko and Lemiuex are not 2nd liners in the AHL either.

This is coming from the guy who complained that every team the Rangers beat were actually AHL teams in disguise. Seems everyone is an AHLer in your book.

Rangers aren't "contenders," but Chyil Kakko and Lemiuex are not 2nd liners in the AHL either.

Well the bottom 6 is Howden, Kakko (both might have benefited from AHL time) Lemieux,, Gauthier (AHLer), Chytil (spent time in AHL this season), Di Giuseppe (AHLer)

The bottom-six is certainly on the weaker side, but I think it has potential to be annoying. DiGiuseppe was a good fit with Chytil and Kakko before he got moved up to replace Kreider when he got injured. PDG adds a little bit of that Jesper Fast-effect in that he can dig for pucks and he's also a reliable volume-shooter. He's just not very talented. If Chytil and Kakko can find some offense that third line is suddenly a bit more dangerous even if they're not wholly a threat. The fourth line is a toss up. McKegg isn't very effective to me, and Howden has been a questionable player throughout his tenure. His game, I guess, is more suited for playoffs so we'll see if that makes him at all more effective. I'm slightly doubtful. Gauthier is really where that line lives or dies for me. If he can use his size and speed to be effective on the rush it'll keep Carolina pressed more. Lemieux, when he's back, needs to be able to maintain composure. If he's the version of himself that we've seen a lot this season then he could be more of a detriment than a benefit.

Well the bottom 6 is Howden, Kakko (both might have benefited from AHL time) Lemieux,, Gauthier (AHLer), Chytil (spent time in AHL this season), Di Giuseppe (AHLer)

So "might have benefitted" or "spent time" means they're 2nd line AHL players currently? Sorry, I'm just not buying the negativity. With this logic almost everyone is a 2nd line AHLer.

Is this the 2014 team? No. But come on already the the hyperbole.

The bottom-six is certainly on the weaker side, but I think it has potential to be annoying. DiGiuseppe was a good fit with Chytil and Kakko before he got moved up to replace Kreider when he got injured. PDG adds a little bit of that Jesper Fast-effect in that he can dig for pucks and he's also a reliable volume-shooter. He's just not very talented. If Chytil and Kakko can find some offense that third line is suddenly a bit more dangerous even if they're not wholly a threat. The fourth line is a toss up. McKegg isn't very effective to me, and Howden has been a questionable player throughout his tenure. His game, I guess, is more suited for playoffs so we'll see if that makes him at all more effective. I'm slightly doubtful. Gauthier is really where that line lives or dies for me. If he can use his size and speed to be effective on the rush it'll keep Carolina pressed more. Lemieux, when he's back, needs to be able to maintain composure. If he's the version of himself that we've seen a lot this season then he could be more of a detriment than a benefit.

We think the bottom 2 lines are AHL because we saw them night after night. But the 3rd and 4th lines on most NHL teams are filled with the same kinds of players; rookies, roster filler, guys shuttling back and forth for the AHL.That is a function of the salary cap; you cannot keep players around outside of your top six for long if they're any good. Consider that is why Panarin has been traded onceand why he was ever a free agent; CBH could not pay him. If your top 2 lines produce and the 3rd and 4th give you something, you have a shot in the playoffs. Not saying they're favorites, simply this tournament is not filled with any favorites. With playoff TV timeouts, how much time does a 4th line see unless the game goes to OT(when they limit commercials) ? Key really may be Lemieiux, Chytil and Kakko; if they can take a step up. But that's not a given.

Brady Skjei is motivated, oh, look out. have to hope he hasn't looked at any video of his rookie season during this break. Look forward to him making lazy stretch passes, giving opposing Ranger puck carrier ample room as he backs up, skating around aimlessly in his own end not hitting any Ranger.

I actually never said that, but cool story bro.

I actually never said that, but cool story bro.

This team had to stack a line with their best players to mount a last minute comeback attempt vs one of the worst teams in the NHL.

Think about that. Let it sink in.

I won't argue if Kakko was good or bad, I saw him do some good things and some Kakko things. But what really matters is that even if you think he had a solid game, it was against an AHL level team + Eichel.

There's no stronger argument that he should finish the season in the A, on a positive note, rather than play out the string here.

I mean, you pushed the narrative all year long that Shesterkin's starts were cherry picked against "AHL team(s)" or Kakko only played well against "AHL level team(s)" as a way to discredit both players. There are hints of it in every GDT from February til the end of the season.

So... yeah. I guess it is a cool story.

• Like 3

I mean, you pushed the narrative all year long that Shesterkin's starts were cherry picked against "AHL team(s)" or Kakko only played well against "AHL level team(s)" as a way to discredit both players. There are hints of it in every GDT from February til the end of the season.

So... yeah. I guess it is a cool story.

Congrats, you found one post where I called the Sabers an AHL team plus Eichel. Prove me wrong.

The other part of the post you reference said one of the worst teams in the NHL... Don't see the word AHL there.

So show me where I said every team the Rangers beat is an AHL team?

But yeah, cool story.

So "might have benefitted" or "spent time" means they're 2nd line AHL players currently? Sorry, I'm just not buying the negativity. With this logic almost everyone is a 2nd line AHLer.

Is this the 2014 team? No. But come on already the the hyperbole.

Just sayin the bottom 6 is weak. Can’t really deny that, although there’s a ton of potential and youth.

Not that it matters, but Chytil started the season in the AHL and proved beyond any reasonable doubt he's not an AHL level player, and certainly not a 2nd line talent in that league.

I do agree with the sentiment though. The top 2 lines are contender quality, the 3rd line is good enough offensively but doesn't stack up defensively and the 4th is hideous.

Not that it matters, but Chytil started the season in the AHL and proved beyond any reasonable doubt he's not an AHL level player, and certainly not a 2nd line talent in that league.

I do agree with the sentiment though. The top 2 lines are contender quality, the 3rd line is good enough offensively but doesn't stack up defensively and the 4th is hideous.

Chytil is one player. He's also playing with Kakko and DiGuiseppe... So.. ok maybe an AHL first line.

Lafreniere sure would be nice though lol

If we are being realistic about it, while I’d certainly rather they win the Cup, they’re odds at doing that are so minimal and while I‘ll never root against them, I’m not going to be heartbroken if they lose to Carolina and have a 12.5% shot at LaFreniere

If we are being realistic about it, while I?d certainly rather they win the Cup, they?re odds at doing that are so minimal and while I?ll never root against them, I?m not going to be heartbroken if they lose to Carolina and have a 12.5% shot at LaFreniere
This is how I feel.

They're playing with house money. I have no expectations. If they go on a run, great. If they lose to Carolina, cool.

Would be more heartbreaking the further they go, though.

This is how I feel.

They're playing with house money. I have no expectations. If they go on a run, great. If they lose to Carolina, cool.

Exactly.

It’s totally a house money situation.

I don’t think though that you’ll run into the heartbreak. While Carolina is a good matchup for them, I don’t think it’s quite as extreme as many feel it is. Carolina can absolutely beat them.

And even if they got through Carolina, I don’t see a scenario wherein they get out of the 1st round. Really I don’t. Whom ever they play there, if they got there, would almost certainly beat them.

If they lose to Carolina, I won't slit my wrists. It will make the lottery and maybe the draft more interesting, though 87.5% odds against is what it is.

Nor do I think they really have a shot at a Cup. So I don't think of it as a choice of one or the other.

I think the whole thing would be a massive success if they got out of the 1st round. That means that they would beat a hockey team now considered much better than they are in full-on playoff mode. That battle experience topped off with real success would be a huge achievement and a piece of pride to build on for a bunch of kids. If they went further, all the better.

But without lassoing either unicorn, there is a lot to gain in the middle.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

If they lose to Carolina, they get some playoff experience and a chance at the number one pick. If they don't beat Carolina, they get even more playoff experience, but no chance at the number one pick. Since I don't see them winning the Cup, the playoff experience and a chance at the number one pick is a little more enticing. I mean, say they get to the third round and lose. Yeah, they get even more experience, and it's still a win of a season in my book, but they lose a chance at an excellent player. This team is still headed in the right direction, but considering where they still are, another top pick certainly wouldn't hurt.

If we are being realistic about it, while I’d certainly rather they win the Cup, they’re odds at doing that are so minimal and while I‘ll never root against them, I’m not going to be heartbroken if they lose to Carolina and have a 12.5% shot at LaFreniere

This is how I feel.

Exactly.

It’s totally a house money situation.

I don’t think though that you’ll run into the heartbreak. While Carolina is a good matchup for them, I don’t think it’s quite as extreme as many feel it is. Carolina can absolutely beat them.

And even if they got through Carolina, I don’t see a scenario wherein they get out of the 1st round. Really I don’t. Whom ever they play there, if they got there, would almost certainly beat them.

Bingo...

...Bango!

........Bongo!!!

I'm taking this route, pretty much!

Sure is gonna be great to have hockey back though!