• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Captain Zibanejad Coming in 2020-21?

Phil

i dont know and I dont care. Not saying it should happen or happens often, I just say I think that will happen somehow.

I dont understand why they would drag it so long if the guy was already here and I dont see them adding a veteran and giving him the C right away either.

Only took McDavid a year and he was under 20 so it is possible.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It really isn't. They were never going to name one in season when McDonagh was dealt. So it's been two years in which they've been rebuilding. Like I said, it's almost like they wanted a leader to emerge throughout that rebuild. What's the rush?

I never said it was a rush? I just said I think they would?ve already given it to mika or Kreids if they see them as captain. They want one to ?emerge throughout the rebuild? yes and he arrives in the draft.

There are previous 1OA picks that?s been named captain within 1-2 seasons and AL is definitely a player that could do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Mcdavid, Crosby, Landeskog, all come to mind as 19 year olds who were named captain

Toews was 20 when he became captain, but only played 1 season with the blackhawks.

I never said it was a rush? I just said I think they would’ve already given it to mika or Kreids if they see them as captain. They want one to ?emerge throughout the rebuild? yes and he arrives in the draft.

There are previous 1OA picks that’s been named captain within 1-2 seasons and AL is definitely a player that could do that.

I know what you said. And I'm saying what you deem to be a long time was in fact a short one. That implies a rush. A player may develop certain character traits over time through various experiences. Zibanejad may not have had the qualities or the impetus to step up in a locker room in his first two seasons when he was newer and on a team with established leaders like McDonagh and Nash amongst others. He's since had two years to grow as a player and has a significantly different place on the roster.

• Like 1

From all accounts Laf is C material, but what would he need to do to get the C as a 20 year old after 1 season?

I find this crap laughable with all do respect. So Laf is captain material because her have been told so by scouts. We?ve legit seen Zibanejad perform game in and game out. Not just pp. Not just ev. But pk, shootout, ot, everywhere. But he?s not captain material... Fuck he scored 5 this year and legit was on a pace to lead the league or compete for goals........yet a guy with 0 games with anyone above 20 years old is because we are told so. Lol

You know who else was a leader by all accounts?

Lias.

Crosby was named captain after his second season after winning a Hart, Art Ross and Pearson and of you look at the roster there was really no Zib or Kreider type to be named captain.

Let's add into that maybe in NY more than anywhere else, if a team struggles the fans start whining about stripping the C away... Who cares who has it?

I find this crap laughable with all do respect. So Laf is captain material because her have been told so by scouts. We?ve legit seen Zibanejad perform game in and game out. Not just pp. Not just ev. But pk, shootout, ot, everywhere. But he?s not captain material... Fuck he scored 5 this year and legit was on a pace to lead the league or compete for goals........yet a guy with 0 games with anyone above 20 years old is because we are told so. Lol

If on ice talent was the deciding factor when naming a Captain there is no doubt it would be Panarin.

Laf has been Captain of of his QMJHL teams and Team Canada Junior Team. So there is a lot more there than just Scouts commenting on what a great leader he is.

I personally still think it will be Zib or CK, but there is something to be said about why it has not happened already. Neither one has worn the C on their way up from what I see.

If it somehow turned out to be Laf that would be a very good thing as it would mean he hit the ground running and had a big year.

You know who else was a leader by all accounts?

Lias.

Crosby was named captain after his second season after winning a Hart, Art Ross and Pearson and of you look at the roster there was really no Zib or Kreider type to be named captain.

Let's add into that maybe in NY more than anywhere else, if a team struggles the fans start whining about stripping the C away... Who cares who has it?

Comparing a 7th overall (who should?ve been 10-15 if rangers didnt reach) to a guy thats been consesus no1 for many years now?

Mcdavid was named captain after playing 45 games in his rookie season. Toews was named assistant captain in his first season and Captain after playing 65 games in his rookie season. Landeskog was named captain after his rookie season.

I would think these players are more comparable to Laf than Lias.

Again, not saying it 100% will happen, I just said I think it will.

MOST top picks that ascend to the captaincy ASAP are drafted on to really bad teams, in various forms of rebuild or change. Our #1 is joining a young team already on the upswing.. A young team with some established veteran players who are still at the top of their games. We have to remember that had the season played our without any interruptions, we probably would have been picking in the 16 range.

As a general aside, I'm not in the room, not on the road trips, and not at practice... So I'd be talking out of my ass if I acted like I had ANY idea what the leadership core does behind closed doors. If and when they pick a C, I'm sure it will be based on a whole bunch of information that none of us are privy to.

MOST top picks that ascend to the captaincy ASAP are drafted on to really bad teams, in various forms of rebuild or change. Our #1 is joining a young team already on the upswing.. A young team with some established veteran players who are still at the top of their games. We have to remember that had the season played our without any interruptions, we probably would have been picking in the 16 range.

As a general aside, I'm not in the room, not on the road trips, and not at practice... So I'd be talking out of my ass if I acted like I had ANY idea what the leadership core does behind closed doors. If and when they pick a C, I'm sure it will be based on a whole bunch of information that none of us are privy to.

Well. We are also in a rebuild (but hopefully coming to the end of it) and we?ve gone over 2 years without a captain.

If on ice talent was the deciding factor when naming a Captain there is no doubt it would be Panarin.

Laf has been Captain of of his QMJHL teams and Team Canada Junior Team. So there is a lot more there than just Scouts commenting on what a great leader he is.

I personally still think it will be Zib or CK, but there is something to be said about why it has not happened already. Neither one has worn the C on their way up from what I see.

If it somehow turned out to be Laf that would be a very good thing as it would mean he hit the ground running and had a big year.

And Ziby already has been an alternate captan at the NHL level for bth the Senators at times and the Rangers now.

He did not. Ottawa still had an established leadership group when he left.

Relax lol. I said at times there, not regularly . I could be wrong but I thought I remembered some games. He regularly wears it now for us so the point still holds the same regardless.

Relax lol. I said at times there, not regularly . I could be wrong but I thought I remembered some games. He regularly wears it now for us so the point still holds the same regardless.

Relax? All I said was "He did not." Keith, bud. You know we're cool. But I think you were wrong about him wearing an A in Ottawa lol

• Like 1

Relax? All I said was "He did not." Keith, bud. You know we're cool. But I think you were wrong about him wearing an A in Ottawa lol

Lol read like you were scolding me :(

I could def be wrong but he does here so yeah. We good, no worries

• Like 1

If he wore a letter in Ottawa, it was entirely temporary (like when guys are hurt and they give whomever a letter for a few games). He was never formally part of their leadership group.

Well that’s all I meant.

If he did, it was simply at times but they still picked him as opposed to another player. I might be wrong though because I think Drew is right. Can’t find any pics of him there with the A.

From all accounts Laf is C material, but what would he need to do to get the C as a 20 year old after 1 season?

No way this kid gets the C at 20 years old. To even speculate this, is outrageous imo. Let him get in here and do something before we even begin this convo.

Play a game?

Get everybody's respect, display his leadership every game.

Get drafted...lol

Here is my take on this topic. After Mac left the most vocal leader, from what we have been led to believe, is Hank. I am pretty sure the league established a rule that goalies could no longer be given the C after Luongo lost/gave up(I don't recall how)his C in Vancouver. So obviously Hank couldn't be given that C. Other than Hank, the most senior Ranger in the group was Staal. I am not in the room so I will not pretend to know if he is either not seen as a captain by management or if he did not want it. No one does. Maybe management then felt off about naming someone like Kreider or Zib the captain while someone as senior as Staal was still in the room. Again, who knows, all we have is speculation. I am with the camp that thinks it is not really important one way or the other if someone has a C on their shoulder. As long as everyone in the group with an A is in control of the room and on the same page that is all that matters. The players know who the real leaders are regardless if their jersey tells fans who it is.

Here is my take on this topic. After Mac left the most vocal leader, from what we have been led to believe, is Hank. I am pretty sure the league established a rule that goalies could no longer be given the C after Luongo lost/gave up(I don't recall how)his C in Vancouver. So obviously Hank couldn't be given that C. Other than Hank, the most senior Ranger in the group was Staal. I am not in the room so I will not pretend to know if he is either not seen as a captain by management or if he did not want it. No one does. Maybe management then felt off about naming someone like Kreider or Zib the captain while someone as senior as Staal was still in the room. Again, who knows, all we have is speculation. I am with the camp that thinks it is not really important one way or the other if someone has a C on their shoulder. As long as everyone in the group with an A is in control of the room and on the same page that is all that matters. The players know who the real leaders are regardless if their jersey tells fans who it is.

Goalies can no longer be captains.

Since we are speculating, there are only issues with naming a Captain when people are unsure if there is a real one in the room. Seniority and stepping on toes has nothing to do with it. Maybe a contract situation gets in the way. If you got a good Captain in the room it makes a big difference, if you don’t you might as well just stick with all A’s and hope the quantity makes up for the quality.

I doubt Staal refused it, I think they never offered it. I think it would raise Staal's trade value for trade deadline if he is named captain.