• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

NHL "Pauses" Season Due to Coronavirus; "Hopes to Resume"

Phil

I was pretty much kidding.

That said, players might have something to say about being away from their families for 4 months during a pandemic.

If they are quarantined, and tested, bring them. Theyll be stuck in a room.

(I havent read any proposals).

We have a practically empty college here with 4 rinks on campus. We have another with 2 rinks on campus. Both have multiple practically empty hotels in the nearby areas. And this is a small city, too small for an NHL team. I have to imagine other areas are in the same situation. The venues are available and isolated.

Players can upgrade to a suite if they want to bring families, idk.

I think a [safe] environment like that would lead to some incredibly fun hockey. Imagine living in the same hotel as a rival team for a month and playing them a few times. Especially in the playoffs.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In front of no fans? What's the point, other than an obvious TV revenue money grab? Pretty sleazy, actually.

I can still watch on tv?

Fuck, I want to finish my season too.

I’m not saying tomorrow. I literally said December.

Hearing 2nd hand; player will report June 1st, 24 team Cup tournament over the summer. This is about TV money. Still, looking forward to it, if true. Still lots of things that can go sideways. We'll see.

2nd hand form who?

Thousands of people are dying per day, this isn’t just any sports league lockout. This is simply not a time for sports right now. I doubt it’s much different a month or two from now either.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The one curveball that really could be a PR disaster is you go through all this trouble to have the games at remote sites with no fans. And then a player or staff gets sick anyway. Because then all the TV money in the world is going to hold back that shitstorm if you then have to shut it down. Have to hope they've really thought this through.

The one curveball that really could be a PR disaster is you go through all this trouble to have the games at remote sites with no fans. And then a player or staff gets sick anyway. Because then all the TV money in the world is going to hold back that shitstorm if you then have to shut it down. Have to hope they've really thought this through.

Yup.

Excellent point Bugg.

This is going to happen not matter if the season starts in July, December, or 2030.

It?s not going to not exist for years.

This is going to happen not matter if the season starts in July, December, or 2030.

It?s not going to not exist for years.

Right, and that kind of makes finishing this season the easy task. You don't have to include all the teams and you only have to play a small subset of games. So it's easy to sell players on isolating in a hub for as long as they're in the playoffs.

The huge question now would be, "What does next season look like?"

Good question. Leave it to 6th Ave. to devise a solution that not only makes a travesty of this season but compromises next season as well.

Speculation but plausible you could start next season mid November and still finish next season the end of June. You need 2 months for the usual Cup tournament, so the regular season could run through the end of April.

Well, that would mean starting six weeks late and ending two weeks late, so I don't know what you do about that lost month. Lots of 3 games in 4 nights, no trips to West: that 's the kind of compromising of the season that detracts from its integrity.

I can't see how the "current" season can be finished with any kind of integrity after an over two month layoff. I'm ready to say goodbye to it and try to start next season on time. In fact, why not start next year a few weeks early, given that everyone will already have had an over sized break. Nice to see hockey end by Memorial Day.

Well, that would mean starting six weeks late and ending two weeks late, so I don't know what you do about that lost month. Lots of 3 games in 4 nights, no trips to West: that 's the kind of compromising of the season that detracts from its integrity.

I can't see how the "current" season can be finished with any kind of integrity after an over two month layoff. I'm ready to say goodbye to it and try to start next season on time. In fact, why not start next year a few weeks early, given that everyone will already have had an over sized break. Nice to see hockey end by Memorial Day.

Problem is if you don't have a Stanley Cup tournament, there is a lot of TV that is gone forever. This season's Cup is going to have an asterisk, if it happens. Neither the owners nor the players want to lose that money. Nobody gets it back, ever, if this season is totally over.

Also, the Stanley Cup since the 16 teams, 7 games a round has run well into June for a while now.

6) Obviously, resuming play is not happening without blessings from medical professionals and teams? respective governments. Predicting this stuff is a worse gamble than trying to guess the first tight end taken in the NFL Draft. (Guess who went with three guys, none of whom were right.)

ESPN?s Adrian Wojnarowski, a terrific reporter, tweeted last Saturday the NBA was going to re-open its facilities May 1. Three days later, that was moved back a week. We?re all guessing. Dr. Anthony Fauci told the New York Times some sports may have to skip this year.

What I believe is this: The NHL will do everything in its power to save this season. There are unofficial schedules/outlines floating all over the place ? because all leagues have to submit something to the U.S. government ? but nothing is concrete. On Wednesday, the NHL sent out a memo indicating it hopes to open team training facilities to small group activities ?at some point in the mid-to-later portion of May.?

The memo continued:

?In this regard, Players and Club staff who may currently be sheltering outside of the Club?s home city should consider whether to plan to return to their Club cities, understanding the attendant travel restrictions and self-quarantine measures that may either be imposed by the NHL/NHLPA or remain applicable in certain jurisdictions. For example, some jurisdictions continue to require a strict 14-day home quarantine following international travel.?

An exact framework for this next phase could be delivered next week. Still unanswered: What happens if some teams can open and others can?t?

If everything continues to positively progress, though, they?d move on to training camps (hopefully June), teams would travel to the ?hubs? (later June), and then regular season and playoffs could go on after that (July-September). Can it happen? God only knows.

8) A December start for the 2020?21 season is a real possibility, both in the NHL and NBA. The leagues realize that games with fans this summer are not happening. No one likes that, but everyone recognizes it?s a necessity. Next year? I think there?ll be much more pushback to fan-less games. Carolina owner Tom Dundon went public with his dislike, and he?s not alone. One exec, who shares a building with an NBA team, says he wouldn?t be surprised if that league starts on Christmas Day, with the NHL a couple of weeks earlier. (Dec. 25 is a marquee date in basketball, if you don?t follow the sport.) That could push hockey into July, before the Olympics ? although I wonder if we?d be talking about a 70-game season, instead of 82.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-best-case-scenario-resumption-nhl-season/

2020 is toast. I don?t want weird MLB divisions, schedules and locations. I don?t want the NHL and NBA starting back up a season while thousands are dying daily, I?m stuck at home while being told to wear a mask out in public. NFL....probably needs to go fanless which would suck. I?m ready to shelf it all for a year personally.