• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

NHL "Pauses" Season Due to Coronavirus; "Hopes to Resume"

Phil

May 15th seems impossible at this point.

It's a stretch. I think it's very unlikely. They have maybe 2 or 3 weeks to get teams back together and practicing for a week or two before games start.

I really hate the idea of altering/shortening the playoffs. It cheapens the whole thing. If it's between that and cancel, I'm firmly in the cancel boat.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want hockey.

Spread them out on a 4 different college campuses with multiple rinks. 1 week notice, 1 week "camp", condense scheduled games - play all remaining games. first round of playoffs 2 of 3, possibly next few rounds as well. televise games. test players, periodically.

They've been told to quarantine for over a month. They should be virus free, at this point.

Let’s say they did do this....how do they plan on stopping die hards from traveling to the cities just be “be a part of this”

Also what do they plan on doing the second one gets sick? Sorry your starting goalie is out for 3 weeks with a cough. Or how about the fact that there are people testing positive that never get a fever at all?

Let’s say they did do this....how do they plan on stopping die hards from traveling to the cities just be “be a part of this”

Also what do they plan on doing the second one gets sick? Sorry your starting goalie is out for 3 weeks with a cough. Or how about the fact that there are people testing positive that never get a fever at all?

Ultimately, this is why it won't happen.

Unless the NHL can test all their players regularly, I don't know how they can risk it.

Even as NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said, ?we?re not going to rush anything,? in his interview with Sportsnet on Wednesday, the NHL may be on an accelerated timeline to resume the season.

The Post has learned that at least one NHL team has told its players to be prepared to report on May 15 to begin informal workouts that would precede a training camp of up to three weeks. Not all teams have acted in a similar manner.

Players ? or teams ? would presumably be isolated beginning with the report date. That might mean sequestration for a duration of up to four months if the NHL completes the 189 outstanding games remaining in the regular season ahead of holding a traditional Stanley Cup playoffs.

Bettman on Wednesday said the league will centralize its games in up to four locations. Further complicating matters is the fact many teams are unlikely to receive clearance from their local governing bodies and health agencies to conduct workouts and/or camps at home.

That means those teams would have to relocate to their assigned central location for camp and the duration of the season/playoffs.

Though nothing is etched in stone, Columbus, Ohio, is the favorite to host Metropolitan Division teams. That, of course, includes the Rangers, Islanders and Devils. It is not known what social distancing and ?re-opening? guidelines would apply in Ohio in mid-May.

Sources indicate that as of Thursday, there had yet to be an in-depth conversation between the NHL and NHLPA regarding protocols that would be in place to protect the players against being infected with the coronavirus. The same protections, of course, would have to apply to their entirety of team traveling parties that would range from 50-60 individuals.

https://nypost.com/2020/04/23/nhl-team-planning-may-15-workouts-ahead-of-possible-restart/

It's like Rome.

"Let the gladiators die, so that we may be amused. "

I didnt say anything about players not being safe.

And I'm sure they'd have great medical care, if they did get ill.

It's all about how the NHL does it. All the players were told to quarantine for over 30 days now. By May theyll be at 60 days. Test them, bring them somewhere, test again, etc. You'd essentially be putting them on a safe island away form the virus, done correctly.

I mean... other people are still working...

I didnt say anything about players not being safe.

And I'm sure they'd have great medical care, if they did get ill.

It's all about how the NHL does it. All the players were told to quarantine for over 30 days now. By May theyll be at 60 days. Test them, bring them somewhere, test again, etc. You'd essentially be putting them on a safe island away form the virus, done correctly.

I mean... other people are still working...

I was pretty much kidding.

That said, players might have something to say about being away from their families for 4 months during a pandemic.