• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

NHL "Pauses" Season Due to Coronavirus; "Hopes to Resume"

Phil

I agree with the three of you, but the fact of the matter is that both parties want to complete the season and the playoffs for revenue reasons.

Players have lost ~15% of their income. Owners have probably lost around that too. Escrow is going to eat players alive without a change or a continuation.

Further, let's say they don't finish. Cap was projected to go up 3m; without that revenue, the cap goes down. Probably quite a bit. How do teams get there? Will PA need to sign off on one or more compliance buyouts per team to make the cap work? Will there be a need for a "salary adjustment" like in '05, where everyone makes 15% less in 20-21?

There's a lot of harder questions to answer if they can't actually finish the season, whether as expected or not.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti said Wednesday large gatherings like sporting events or concerts may not resume in the city before 2021 as the US grapples with mitigating the novel coronavirus pandemic.

"It's difficult to imagine us getting together in the thousands anytime soon, so I think we should be prepared for that this year," Garcetti told CNN's Wolf Blitzer on "The Situation Room."

"I think we all have never wanted science to work so quickly," he continued. "But until there's either a vaccine, some sort of pharmaceutical intervention, or herd immunity, the science is the science. And public health officials have made very clear we have miles and miles to walk before we can be back in those environments."

Garcetti's assessment -- paired with new comments from New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio -- underscores just how far the US is from returning to normal life, even as President Donald Trump has leaned into his desire to reopen the nation's economy by May 1.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/15/politics/los-angeles-mayor-coronavirus-concerts-cnntv/index.html

This is likely the case IMO. On another sobering note, anyone catch the 'revised' TicketMaster terms? Seems like for any of us who bought sports, concert, etc. tickets, no refunds are coming unless the events are canceled as opposed to simply postponed. In light of the article above, I think it is wholly irresponsible for TM to continue to hold our money. The Rangers games I bought will probably not be played until 2021 and if the new date doesn't work for me am I going to lose out because the original date wasn't cancelled? Seems pretty unfair to consumers.

Ticketmaster has updated the wording of its refund policy for postponed events, and customers are not happy.

With large gatherings across the nation either canceled or postponed due to the spread of coronavirus, many ticket-holders are seeking refunds for concerts, sports and other events.

According to an image captured by the The New York Times, a page on Ticketmaster's website used to say refunds "are available if your event is postponed, rescheduled or canceled." Now, the page has been edited to say refunds "are available if your event is canceled."

Ticketmaster's Purchase Policy states that "the Event Provider may set refund limitations" in the case of rescheduled events, but, without an automatic refund policy for postponements, many customers may be out-of-luck.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/music/2020/04/13/coronavirus-ticketmaster-changes-refund-policy-sparks-outrage/2986708001/

Ticketmaster has updated the wording of its refund policy for postponed events, and customers are not happy.

With large gatherings across the nation either canceled or postponed due to the spread of coronavirus, many ticket-holders are seeking refunds for concerts, sports and other events.

According to an image captured by the The New York Times, a page on Ticketmaster's website used to say refunds "are available if your event is postponed, rescheduled or canceled." Now, the page has been edited to say refunds "are available if your event is canceled."

Ticketmaster's Purchase Policy states that "the Event Provider may set refund limitations" in the case of rescheduled events, but, without an automatic refund policy for postponements, many customers may be out-of-luck.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/music/2020/04/13/coronavirus-ticketmaster-changes-refund-policy-sparks-outrage/2986708001/

Sucks! They are one of the shittiest companies. I have the MSG Pearl Jam concert on hold, I bought tickets to 3 more concerts this summer which will probably end up being postponed. I have to sit and wait and hope that these concerts end up getting cancelled to get my $$$ back. Also, the NYR still haven't refunded me my $$$ for the rest of the season, I know that the season is on pause BUT everyone knows that if they do come back and "finish" the season, it will either be A. at neutral sites, B. empty arena, or C. straight to the playoffs....So, reimburse or credit season ticket holders their $$$.

They need to write off 2019-2020 already. Just put an * in all stats/records. No awards. No Stanley Cup. Appreciate their efforts to try and salvage season but it's going to be messy no matter how you try and cut it. At this rate, 2020-21 is already likely to be a shortened season itself.

They need to write off 2019-2020 already. Just put an * in all stats/records. No awards. No Stanley Cup. Appreciate their efforts to try and salvage season but it's going to be messy no matter how you try and cut it. At this rate, 2020-21 is already likely to be a shortened season itself.

Agreed. it just seems like they're delaying the inevitable.

They probably need about 2 1/2 months to complete the regular season and playoffs fairly normally. They need to find a way to pack in the rest of the regular season games on an accelerated schedule.

If they got back to playing by, say May 15, two and a half months takes them to end of July.

July 31 - end of season

Aug 5th - draft

Aug 12th - ufa

Aug 26th - arb

Oct 23 - season starts (Pushed back by 2-3 weeks)

Still a 2 month gap here for recovery and training camp.