• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

How to Get Rid of Brendan Smith?s Cap Hit

The Dude

If we don’t get rid of him or Staal, we can probably say goodbye to one of Lemieux, Strome, or ADA unless you pray they all or at least 2 of 3 push off long term negotiations for short team prove me deals again. Just my opinion. Personally I’d rather see them get rid of Smith and or Staal and try to sign those 3 to a tad more than you like but will be considered bargains 2-3 years down the road.

Pretty much where my head was at, along with the need to upgrade the bottom 6 a bit.

I think they can get rid of him or Staal if they attach Andersson and Georgiev. Probably not going to be able to get much back, but I think it's worth it. Unless people are thinking they are going to cash in on Georgiev.

Some team is going to overpay for goal tending help. In this case they are going to pay in cap space.

Let's go full circle here and deal Staal, Andersson and Georgiev to Arizona for Raanta (I believe he's hurt again and done for the season), Grabner and a 3rd . Rangers may have to eat some salary on Staal, only because I don't know how Raanta counts against the cap if he's done for the year.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty much where my head was at, along with the need to upgrade the bottom 6 a bit.

I think they can get rid of him or Staal if they attach Andersson and Georgiev. Probably not going to be able to get much back, but I think it's worth it. Unless people are thinking they are going to cash in on Georgiev.

Some team is going to overpay for goal tending help. In this case they are going to pay in cap space.

Let's go full circle here and deal Staal, Andersson and Georgiev to Arizona for Raanta (I believe he's hurt again and done for the season), Grabner and a 3rd . Rangers may have to eat some salary on Staal, only because I don't know how Raanta counts against the cap if he's done for the year.

I know there’s been nothing from him or the team on this, and no one feels he’d leave the last year of his deal at $5.7 on the table, but it wouldn’t shock me if Staal retired.

Thank you. People omit to do this and I'm always saying this. Is you retain half and his replacement is making $2.175, you've saved nothing. You can probably find a McKegg at $1.175 and save a million bucks.

It's not going to take much to insert an upgrade. A vet on a show me contract or a youngster on a ELC, and you're already better. Then there's the likely hood that Fast and Kreider are gone, there's more cap space... This roster is going to have a bit of turn over at forward next year. That money is going to be shifted and balanced in ways we likely are going to be disappointed with. Only because I don't see them filling that Kreider gap.

I'm thinking they just buy him out over the summer, rather than worrying about this. Even if you eat half, you still have to throw something in to entice a team to take him.

1st year - $2,783,333 (Compared to $4.35m or $2.175 if you eat half via trade)

2nd year - $783,333

this makes more sense to me than a trade. with a trade we would probably have to take on someone else’s headache or give an incentive to take smith. no need to rush moves

I know there’s been nothing from him or the team on this, and no one feels he’d leave the last year of his deal at $5.7 on the table, but it wouldn’t shock me if Staal retired.

I don't think we'd ever get that lucky. We can only hope!! ;)

I'd rather just let these guys ride into the sunset one more year without any buyouts or any bullshit with the cap. After '20-'21 all that wasted cap space is pretty much back in house. These kids are VERY young and will get even better next season. The year to focus on in my mind is '21-'22. That's when the shit hits the fan!

That would be great. I doubt that though. That guy has a couple years left in the tank and I'd imagine he would like one last shot at a cup after next season.. Can see him signing a team friendly deal to latch on with contender.

I don't think we'd ever get that lucky. We can only hope!! ;)

I'd rather just let these guys ride into the sunset one more year without any buyouts or any bullshit with the cap. After '20-'21 all that wasted cap space is pretty much back in house. These kids are VERY young and will get even better next season. The year to focus on in my mind is '21-'22. That's when the shit hits the fan!

That would be great. I doubt that though. That guy has a couple years left in the tank and I'd imagine he would like one last shot at a cup after next season.. Can see him signing a team friendly deal to latch on with contender.

Yeah I know it’s wishful thinking on my part, and obviously none of us are in his shoes and don’t know how he feels , but he’s really broken down physically and his play has declined significantly.

He’s got to be aware of how diminished he is.

Yeah I know it’s wishful thinking on my part, and obviously none of us are in his shoes and don’t know how he feels , but he’s really broken down physically and his play has declined significantly.

He’s got to be aware of how diminished he is.

Yet last season we saw kind of a resurgence in his game. Maybe he's banged up. Maybe he sees the organization is waiting to dump him and feels/plays dejected? I don't think he's as brittle and as done as Girardi was two years prior to HIS retirement.

Yet last season we saw kind of a resurgence in his game. Maybe he's banged up. Maybe he sees the organization is waiting to dump him and feels/plays dejected? I don't think he's as brittle and as done as Girardi was two years prior to HIS retirement.

All fair

Again, I’m just entertaining it as a possibility, because it is, however remote.

The comparison to Girardi though is irrelevant to me

One thing has nothing to do with another

I doubt we can get rid of Smith, but maybe Staal will retire. I know baseball is different, but let me try to relate it to a similar situation. I'm a Padres fan and last offseason we signed veteran 2nd baseman Ian Kinsler to a high paying two year contract. He played poorly last season and clearly didn't have much left. Nobody was going to be interested in taking him off of our hands at that price and we have better options at the position this offseason.

So what did the Padres do? They offered him an assistant coaching job with some of his expected pay being deferred for that role. He took it because he knew he couldn't hold off the young guys coming after his job any longer. Could Staal be any worse than Ruff? He would keep his leadership role at least. It could solve multiple problems.

Thank you. People omit to do this and I'm always saying this. Is you retain half and his replacement is making $2.175, you've saved nothing. You can probably find a McKegg at $1.175 and save a million bucks.

Or like...Boo Nieves at 900, since I can't tell the difference between any of our fourth liners anyway and why overpay for mediocre?

Agree completely

Better to stick with the guy you know for another 12-18 months

He has no value now, but next year at deadline, his versatility alone, at a million four left, probably finds them a taker.

He's owed $1m below his cap hit next year, and for one year, that contract is not hard to swallow.

I think there's a trade to a cap floor team that could be worked out - that, or to a team looking to add a defender on the relatively cheap (2.175 ain't too bad for Smith, actually)

I doubt we can get rid of Smith, but maybe Staal will retire. I know baseball is different, but let me try to relate it to a similar situation. I'm a Padres fan and last offseason we signed veteran 2nd baseman Ian Kinsler to a high paying two year contract. He played poorly last season and clearly didn't have much left. Nobody was going to be interested in taking him off of our hands at that price and we have better options at the position this offseason.

So what did the Padres do? They offered him an assistant coaching job with some of his expected pay being deferred for that role. He took it because he knew he couldn't hold off the young guys coming after his job any longer. Could Staal be any worse than Ruff? He would keep his leadership role at least. It could solve multiple problems.

I dont anticipate that happening, barring an injury, at this point.

More likely, I'd imagine he'd try to emulate what Eric Staal has done after going irrelevant 5 years ago. He went on to have 1 good season and will make near $20m playing 5 more seasons in a lesser role. Marc just turned 32, and I dont think guys look at retiring at that age... its when that body completely falls apart - Drury, Callahan, etc - and they physically arent able to try (as opposed to competing). I dont think Marc is at that stage, yet.

I dont anticipate that happening, barring an injury, at this point.

More likely, I'd imagine he'd try to emulate what Eric Staal has done after going irrelevant 5 years ago. He went on to have 1 good season and will make near $20m playing 5 more seasons in a lesser role. Marc just turned 32, and I dont think guys look at retiring at that age... its when that body completely falls apart - Drury, Callahan, etc - and they physically arent able to try (as opposed to competing). I dont think Marc is at that stage, yet.

I don’t think he retires either. I’m with you in that he’s not broken down to the point where he’s non-functional like the others you mentioned.

He’s actually turning 33 in a few days and will be half way to 34 this summer. Definitely a little young and he’s still a player with another year on his contract.

Just saying we don’t know how he’s feeling physically and mentally in regards to his play and his role.

If he’s potentially looking at spending a whole bunch of nights in the press box next season and maybe very limited ice time when he is in the lineup next season, maybe that changes his perspective some

All fair

Again, I?m just entertaining it as a possibility, because it is, however remote.

The comparison to Girardi though is irrelevant to me

One thing has nothing to do with another

I brought up Girardi because Girardi looked like he was done with the game a year prior to being bought out. He went on to have a decent couple years with Tampa before hanging it up. I don't see Staal as playing as poorly as Girardi did three years before HE retired. Meaning Staal definitely has years left in him just by comparison of where a guy like Girardi was before he retired.

I brought up Girardi because Girardi looked like he was done with the game a year prior to being bought out. He went on to have a decent couple years with Tampa before hanging it up. I don't see Staal as playing as poorly as Girardi did three years before HE retired. Meaning Staal definitely has years left in him just by comparison of where a guy like Girardi was before he retired.

I’ll agree with that. Staal always had better mobility than Girardi did to be sure.

If he wants to go elsewhere, take less money, and play a limited role for someone else for a little while longer, he probably can.

Just was saying we don’t know his feelings about his health and play and where he’s at physically and mentally based on that.

I’ll agree with that. Staal always had better mobility than Girardi did to be sure.

If he wants to go elsewhere, take less money, and play a limited role for someone else for a little while longer, he probably can.

Just was saying we don’t know his feelings about his health and play and where he’s at physically and mentally based on that.

Oh, well yeah.... I hope he feels like he needs to retire tomorrow. Definitely. Sucks to want guys off the team just because of their salary. I'd keep Staal and Smith all day if they made less money and weren't affecting the ability to upgrade other spots simply because of their cap hit.

I have no problem playing either guy in a bottom 2 pairing role.. There's worse options.

It's so easy to say Hank and Staal should retire because it would help immensely with the cap but when's the last time somebody who wasn't seriously hurt walked away and left 8.5M and/or 5.7M on the table? I'm sure it's happened at some point but I know it hasn't happened hundreds or even thousands of times.

Suggesting they take another job in the org wouldn't remotely offset the big money.

I just don't see it happening under any circumstances other than a LTIR situation if one of them got severely hurt. The org made their bed with these contracts and we're going to have to pay the piper.

Oh, well yeah.... I hope he feels like he needs to retire tomorrow. Definitely. Sucks to want guys off the team just because of their salary. I'd keep Staal and Smith all day if they made less money and weren't affecting the ability to upgrade other spots simply because of their cap hit.

I have no problem playing either guy in a bottom 2 pairing role.. There's worse options.

As would I.

Don’t stress the cap hit on either of them too much.

Sounding like a broken record I am, but 18 months max is all that’s left.

It’s not killing them. I don’t think it’s standing in the way of them doing anything. Neither of them are blocking anyone right now.

At least in the case of Staal, having a guy like him around for the younger guys, showing him loyalty given all he’s given for the organization over the years, is important.

It's so easy to say Hank and Staal should retire because it would help immensely with the cap but when's the last time somebody who wasn't seriously hurt walked away and left 8.5M and/or 5.7M on the table? I'm sure it's happened at some point but I know it hasn't happened hundreds or even thousands of times.

Suggesting they take another job in the org wouldn't remotely offset the big money.

I just don't see it happening under any circumstances other than a LTIR situation if one of them got severely hurt. The org made their bed with these contracts and we're going to have to pay the piper.

Klein

I said I'm sure it's happened so thanks for the names. Now realistically do we think Hank or Staal are leaving to play in Europe? I would say no chance but time will tell.

Henke maybe once his contract is up. Staal..I doubt it. someone will sign him for a year or two on a cheap deal.